BattleStar Galactica

USB Connector

I recently started watching the series. Big Bang Theory has many references to the show so I decided to check it out hoping to understand the jokes. I didn't have many positive thoughts towards it because the glimpses I caught on TV were confusing and lame at best (probably because I had no idea what was going on). I saw the miniseries/backdoor pilot and was blown away.

I'm currently midway through season 1. I like the concept, the characters are great for the most part. The one twitch I have is this religious stuff with the Cylons and doctor Bashi-erm Doctor Gaius Baltar. I really hope they keep this religious theme as a means of controlling others rather than going the DS9 route and actually making religion have a main role in the plot (as in gods/messiahs and whatnot like how DS9 ended). Even if they do delve into it a bit I'm sure they'll nail it like they have done with everything so far.

Thoughts on the series?

All I know about BSG is... Cylons.

Oh, and "frak!" tongue.gif

I hope to do a blog on it someday - maybe BSG and Caprica. After I finish with the Stargate franchise eventually!

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Feb 27 2012, 08:39 PM)
The one twitch I have is this religious stuff with the Cylons and doctor Bashi-erm Doctor Gaius Baltar. I really hope they keep this religious theme as a means of controlling others rather than going the DS9 route and actually making religion have a main role in the plot (as in gods/messiahs and whatnot like how DS9 ended).

If the religion thing bothers you at all... you will probably hate this series. Well, maybe not. But if it really bothers you... yeah, they get really heavy into it.

Very good show. They do play up the religious theme in it quite a bit but it doesn't turn you off from it. In fact they do it in a very good way that really adds to the show's quality. The show never ventured too far away from the main plot and told a solid story with a begining and end to it. I still have some mixed feelings on how the show ended since they decided to do something unexpected with it.

The acting, especially for a sci-fi show is top notch. Actually it's the best acting you'll ever see in a sci-fi show. Katee Sackhoff, James Callis and Mary McDonnel are my favorite performances on the show. As to why those three haven't gone on to bigger and better things since the show ended is beyond me.

Also, if it hasn't happened already, don't be surprised to hear yourself saying "frak" because of this show laugh.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Feb 28 2012, 11:39 AM)
I prefered the original. A female Starbuck? Sacrilege!

I never was into the original but the clips i've seen it looked to be the cheesiest of sci-fi cheese in everyway. I only know the modern version, so to me Katee Sackhoff is Starbuck.

The show was very well done. It's too bad some people didn't give it a chance because it wasn't like the original.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 28 2012, 05:10 PM)

I never was into the original but the clips i've seen it looked to be the cheesiest of sci-fi cheese in everyway. I only know the modern version, so to me Katee Sackhoff is Starbuck.

The show was very well done. It's too bad some people didn't give it a chance because it wasn't like the original.

Funny thing is I completely agree with you - it was cheesy. Thing is I grew up in the 70s, so I guess I could be a bit biased, and I'm probably wrong for using the word 'sacrilege' - I always thought if a character was played by a new actor it should stay the same gender. However, having said that, I realize now, as Bob Dylan once said: (I think) "Times, they are now a-changing", and new things are good. If any of that makes any sense.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Feb 28 2012, 04:49 PM)

Funny thing is I completely agree with you - it was cheesy. Thing is I grew up in the 70s, so I guess I could be a bit biased, and I'm probably wrong for using the word 'sacrilege' - I always thought if a character was played by a new actor it should stay the same gender. However, having said that, I realize now, as Bob Dylan once said: (I think) "Times, they are now a-changing", and new things are good. If any of that makes any sense.

smile.gif

It makes sense. Still, if you ever decide to give the new version a real try, you won't regret it trink39.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Feb 28 2012, 03:49 PM)

smile.gif

I was born in '75 so I do remember BSG from when I was a kid, though it was in reruns at the time. I've since gone back and watched it again. The "new" series completely obliterates the old, IMO, especially Starbuck. I like some campy/cheesy stuff from the 60's and 70's too, but the coolness factor of the remake can't be beat.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 28 2012, 07:13 AM)
Very good show. They do play up the religious theme in it quite a bit but it doesn't turn you off from it. In fact they do it in a very good way that really adds to the show's quality. The show never ventured too far away from the main plot and told a solid story with a begining and end to it. I still have some mixed feelings on how the show ended since they decided to do something unexpected with it.

The acting, especially for a sci-fi show is top notch. Actually it's the best acting you'll ever see in a sci-fi show. Katee Sackhoff, James Callis and Mary McDonnel are my favorite performances on the show. As to why those three haven't gone on to bigger and better things since the show ended is beyond me.

Also, if it hasn't happened already, don't be surprised to hear yourself saying "frak" because of this show laugh.gif

I'm fine with plots revolving around religion. I just hope they don't take the DS9 route and make it the only driving plot. Either way I'll take your word that they do it well.

Also, I find it frakking unbelievable that you didn't mention Odama as one of the better actors. If it weren't for Gaius or Starbuck he would steal the show. And while the acting may be amazing, it's still second to firefly in my book. tongue.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Feb 28 2012, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 28 2012, 07:13 AM)

I'm fine with plots revolving around religion. I just hope they don't take the DS9 route and make it the only driving plot. Either way I'll take your word that they do it well.

Also, I find it frakking unbelievable that you didn't mention Odama as one of the better actors. If it weren't for Gaius or Starbuck he would steal the show. And while the acting may be amazing, it's still second to firefly in my book. tongue.gif

Yeah, Edward James Olmos performance is great to. But as you continue to watch the show you'll see what i'm talking about with the other performances and why I like them so much. Even the supporting roles are played great as well. Which is one of the reasons i love the show.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Yeaaaaah, those last couple seasons... or really just season seven... of DS9 was so great... until they really started capitalizing on the whole "Prophets vs. Pah-wraiths" thing. It's like, leave the fighting to the Dominion and the Federation (and its allies). D:

But I think anything's better than what they did with Stargate SG-1, the last two seasons. Ori? Enemies of the Ancients? Guys who are never really there, they just send their pawns out? Really? Yeah. That was not totally okay with me. I even liked Cam Mitchell and Vala. But we already had eight seasons of totally badass guys (and ladies for that matter) who liked to play god.

...But the Ori ships were pretty sweet.

/end rant lol

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 28 2012, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Feb 28 2012, 04:49 PM)

smile.gif

It makes sense. Still, if you ever decide to give the new version a real try, you won't regret it trink39.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Feb 29 2012, 09:49 AM)
Very enjoyable show, I liked it a lot but, no spoilers here, they really fracked the ending.

I'm not ashamed to say I teared up a little at the ending. It was only afterward, when I read peoples' analysis of it, that I started to think more critically of it. I take these things with a grain of salt. I still like the ending.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Feb 28 2012, 09:33 PM)

Yeaaaaah, those last couple seasons... or really just season seven... of DS9 was so great... until they really started capitalizing on the whole "Prophets vs. Pah-wraiths" thing. It's like, leave the fighting to the Dominion and the Federation (and its allies). D:

But I think anything's better than what they did with Stargate SG-1, the last two seasons. Ori? Enemies of the Ancients? Guys who are never really there, they just send their pawns out? Really? Yeah. That was not totally okay with me. I even liked Cam Mitchell and Vala. But we already had eight seasons of totally badass guys (and ladies for that matter) who liked to play god.

...But the Ori ships were pretty sweet.

/end rant lol

I actually liked the original BattleStar Galactica. The remake I only saw bits and pieces of and was never impressed.

Agree 100% with you comments about DS9.

Stargate though - I LOVED the original show (SG1). Yes, even after the Ori came on the scene. In a way I thought that they brought a certain fresh energy to the series which it had almost gotten to the point of needing. Much as I loved the Go'ald and Replicators as villains I felt they needed to shake up the series. And did they ever!! Its rare that you can essentially change the main nemeses late into a series like SG1 did and I greatly respect the writers for both recognizing that they needed to shake things up and then finding a way to do it that worked (at least for me). I thought that they sort of finished up the plot lines with the Go'ald and Replicators (in a way that just worked perfectly for me) and they managed to introduce a totally new badass foe with a very interesting story / motivation etc.

Atlantis - well now that was a series which had great potential but I thought that other than the 1st half of the 4 season (up through the episode with Fran and the replicators - forget the name of the episode) and scattered episodes here and there the show never lived up to its potential. Not even close which is a great pitty since it had such great potential.

SGU = 062802puke_prv.gif (X10, IMO)

Sorry to get off point of the thread. Guessed you are a Star-gate fan and I went off on a rant. Will try not to let it happen again. Just could not resist.

To quote somebody who plays in a certain rock group, "I can learn to resist anything but temptation". And this was tempting. SG-1 rules!! (Well, so does Farscape and DS9 and Star Trek and ....)

trink39.gif

So thanks to spring break I've sped up my watching of the series. Now I'm halfways through season two right after the episode where *spoilers* the computer virus returns to do damage *end spoilers*. I like how they're treating the religion thing. They make it a major part of the plot without making it the sole driving force of anything. I like how they keep a constant presence of the civilians and their reactions. This is something that I always wondered about in Star Trek: where are the civilians they carry and what do they think about all the danger? Battlestar manages to handle this without shifting the focus of the series.

Also, the characters are incredible but *MASSIVE SPOILERS* Bill Odama just isn't as awesome as he used to be after being shot. Yes he's still great but there's something about him now that doesn't say "roughed up wise badass leader veteran" anymore. " *END SPOILER* Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Maybe it's because his hair is super wavy now. tongue.gif

Anyways, I LOVE THIS SHOW. /endrant

LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! I had bought seasons 1 & 2 when they were released, but didn't get the rest of them until recently (Thanks to Best Buy gift cards and that they were on sale for $14.99 apiece). Gonna rewatch the series at some point this year.

I also watched the original series at five years old during the original run, and it's a bit of nostalgic fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Mar 5 2012, 10:53 PM)
So thanks to spring break I've sped up my watching of the series. Now I'm halfways through season two right after the episode where *spoilers* the computer virus returns to do damage *end spoilers*. I like how they're treating the religion thing. They make it a major part of the plot without making it the sole driving force of anything. I like how they keep a constant presence of the civilians and their reactions. This is something that I always wondered about in Star Trek: where are the civilians they carry and what do they think about all the danger? Battlestar manages to handle this without shifting the focus of the series.

Also, the characters are incredible but *MASSIVE SPOILERS* Bill Odama just isn't as awesome as he used to be after being shot. Yes he's still great but there's something about him now that doesn't say "roughed up wise badass leader veteran" anymore. " *END SPOILER* Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Maybe it's because his hair is super wavy now. tongue.gif

Bill does come back stronger than ever. Keep in mind that anybody would be lucky to be alive after taking a couple rounds to the chest. Also, he's a guy who is pushing 60 years old so it's not like he can just bounce back right away from something like that.

Also, you've got the spelling of the last name worng. It's "Adama" not "Odama" wink.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Mar 6 2012, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Mar 5 2012, 10:53 PM)

Bill does come back stronger than ever. Keep in mind that anybody would be lucky to be alive after taking a couple rounds to the chest. Also, he's a guy who is pushing 60 years old so it's not like he can just bounce back right away from something like that.

Also, you've got the spelling of the last name worng. It's "Adama" not "Odama" wink.gif

oops.gif Thanks for the correction. It's hard to judge some names when you don't see them written down. I'm at the episode with the "resurrection ship" and you can tell he's regaining that confidence he once had now that he has to cope with a certain reality and make a particularly harsh choice.

Also I tried saying "badass bill bounces back" 10 times fast a Daniel suggested. I got to 4 times before getting tongue tied. tongue.gif