Where's My Thing?

Mika

I can't stop grooving to this song!

I 'discovered' Where's My Thing about 8 months ago, and immediately liked it, but haven't listened to it again until about a week ago. On Rush Day ( 2.gif !) I was watching the 'Boys in Brazil' documentary and noticed an instrumental song that was used in the background during a driving scene. I recognized it, loved it, and proceeded to listen to all the versions of it that I have. music.gif

I've found the live versions to be even better than the original, as the live ones start with an ethereal-sounding wind-up. For those that can, check out the 'Big Money Meets the Big Apple' concert version. So good!

Wish they'd play this song live again! Do a two-parter: 'Where's My Thing' followed by 'Leave That Thing Alone!'

It's cool. For me, it's like a lot of other tracks on Roll the Bones in that it's pretty good but not excellent, and if I could never listen to it again, I probably wouldn't care all that much. It's a pleasant tune, but it has this "sparkly" sound about it that doesn't work well for me; I'd prefer some driving guitar. At least some of the bass lines and drum fills are neat. It's not as powerful, impressive, or intriguingly unusual as other Rush instrumentals, and I think it's the worst of the bunch. (Leave That Thing Alone is the one I can't stop grooving to.) But with all of that said, I do enjoy listening to it.

I'm a real fan of this one too - such a badass bass line!! A real saving grace from one of the band's weaker albums I think. Imo this tune should have been played on the TM tour instead of Leave That Thing Alone. It just RIPS live and by the looks of it, Geddy seemed to have a lot of fun with it. You can see for yourself here

I REALLY hope they pull this one out for the next tour!

Another one of 2.gif 's abandoned gems. I really feel it's time to bring it back to the set list and leave " Leave that thing alone!" alone! besides it's never been recorded or filmed live. It would really be a great addition to the next Live album/ DVD!

Here's a great boot:

2.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Love it! I'm quite partial to it since it was the song that made me discover Rush and become the fan I am today. Definitely needs to be brought back into the setlist and have an official live release someday. The bass line is catchy as f**k it makes me wanna bang my head on wall, metaphorically.

The studio version never did it for me simply because of the bass overdubs, it was too contrived and the studio version of LLTA didn't really do it for me either as i felt it was the opposite, that it was a wasted opportunity for more notes, to show off a bit, however both songs are awesome live so that's something1

Nice, we have two links here to the same WMT? boot, and it's the same one that I came across on YouTube before posting my love for this song!

But I will say again it's the live versions that are particularly awesome, and something about seeing the boys (particularly Geddy) having so much fun and groovin' along is good to watch. And that bass groove... when I pick up bass guitar (one my New Years resolutions!) I'm going to have to learn that!

GeddyFinal.gif

PS I like the sparkly-ness of it, too... sounds kinda ethereal...!

Great tune! I like LTTA a teeny bit more but this one is a lot of fun. I'd love it if they did them both next time. cool.gif

I love this track as well. The drum fills and bass lines are much "busier" than on LTTA. I wish they played it live on the next tour. With the heavier guitar suond Alex is using these days, this one woud absolutely rock live! What they did with Marathon on the last tour with the heavier guitars just blew my mind...it's like a completely different song, with much more balls.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Feb 9 2012, 05:28 AM)
I love this track as well. The drum fills and bass lines are much "busier" than on LTTA. I wish they played it live on the next tour. With the heavier guitar suond Alex is using these days, this one woud absolutely rock live! What they did with Marathon on the last tour with the heavier guitars just blew my mind...it's like a completely different song, with much more balls.

The bass on WMT is busier on the studio version than LTTA as the former has about three tracks of bass on it and the latter has one!

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Feb 7 2012, 04:39 PM)
It's cool. For me, it's like a lot of other tracks on Roll the Bones in that it's pretty good but not excellent, and if I could never listen to it again, I probably wouldn't care all that much. It's a pleasant tune, but it has this "sparkly" sound about it that doesn't work well for me; I'd prefer some driving guitar. At least some of the bass lines and drum fills are neat. It's not as powerful, impressive, or intriguingly unusual as other Rush instrumentals, and I think it's the worst of the bunch. (Leave That Thing Alone is the one I can't stop grooving to.) But with all of that said, I do enjoy listening to it.

Heavily agree with you about the tune, and as for Roll the Bones I agree that some songs are lacking "umph" but I still love the album for its differences. Its more laid back but songs like "Ghost of a Chance", "Dreamline" "Bravado", "Neurotica" and "Roll The Bones" kick ass though 1022.gif 2.gif