VH1 Metal Evolution

GernTheFish

I always thought Rush was Rush and Tool was Tool and that's it.

Not linked to any genre, bands that just ARE.

Who do they sound like? Nobody. That's the way I like it. 1287.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Feb 6 2012, 06:37 PM)
I always thought Rush was Rush and Tool was Tool and that's it.
Not linked to any genre, bands that just ARE.

Who do they sound like? Nobody. That's the way I like it. 1287.gif

The point is that they were the most influential band that straddled both metal and Prog, there legacy being Queensryche, Dream Theater et al. Nobody is saying that they didn't have their own identity, quite the opposite in fact.

I think it was a great closer for the series. I didn't agree with some of the later bands they tried to sell off as prog metal. They actually lost me after Dream Theater. I expected to see many other bands like Symphony X or Fates Warning but nope! They dragged in the growlers, who I felt weren't progressive at all!

confused13.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Feb 6 2012, 02:47 PM)
I think it was a great closer for the series. I didn't agree with some of the later bands they tried to sell off as prog metal. They actually lost me after Dream Theater.

Yes, I felt the same way. Loved that they gave the guys a whole segment but, considering their place in Prog metal (um.. invented it) that was appropriate. After Dream Theater I lost interest, though. The other bands are a bit too heavy for me - I've never been a fan of really hard rock.

Though the Queensryche concept album did pique my interest..... unsure.gif

Edited by HowItIs

The show talked about Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, and ELP but not Jethro Tull oddly enough. Also, they talked about Queensryche's Mindcrime album but not The Warning, which was a landmark album combining metal and prog. And ZERO mention of Fates Warning, who were responsible for two leaps in the prog metal evolution: the doomy heavy prog metal of the 80's and the Ray Alder Queensryche-type of prog they began in 1989 that influenced tons of bands after that like Neal Morse and others. I know for a fact that Mike Portnoy is a huge FW fan so no mention was kinda strange, but it is Sam Dunn's documentary so I guess he can do whatever he wants.

I thought the length of time they spent on Rush was pretty appropriate, but they shouldve talked about Hemispheres a bit more.

QUOTE (SunlightOnChrome @ Feb 6 2012, 10:27 PM)
I loved Geddy's line:

"There are a lot of empty calories on the radio"

So true...

Yeah, that was my favorite line of the show.

I've been repeating it for days to anyone who will listen to me. He got it so right....

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Feb 7 2012, 07:02 PM)
The show talked about Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, and ELP but not Jethro Tull oddly enough. Also, they talked about Queensryche's Mindcrime album but not The Warning, which was a landmark album combining metal and prog. And ZERO mention of Fates Warning, who were responsible for two leaps in the prog metal evolution: the doomy heavy prog metal of the 80's and the Ray Alder Queensryche-type of prog they began in 1989 that influenced tons of bands after that like Neal Morse and others. I know for a fact that Mike Portnoy is a huge FW fan so no mention was kinda strange, but it is Sam Dunn's documentary so I guess he can do whatever he wants.

I thought the length of time they spent on Rush was pretty appropriate, but they shouldve talked about Hemispheres a bit more.

Agreed, I was waiting for a plug on Hemispheres only because that album was so different from anything you heard back then. I always thought of it as ahead of it's time.

kinda had my way with this episode last night....

2-10-12 MY SHOW pt 1