sound

canadianice

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 12 2012, 09:42 PM)
I've only heard a handful but many people consider St. Louis 1980 to be the best.

Rumour says it was recorded as an official live album, then they have good demos and start moving some picture laugh.gif

I've only heard a handful but many people consider St. Louis 1980 to be the best.

yes.gif

I recently discovered "Echos on the Stages", which is a soundboard recording of their T4E tour rehearsal. I dunno it it's considered their best boot (my experience with Rush boots is very limited anyway), but it comes highly regarded and the sound quality is at times very good. I like the unique qualities of it (no crowd noise whatsoever; some occasional goofing around by the band members due to the relaxed setting; Geddy sometimes choosing not to sing the lyrics, which made sort-of-instrumentals out of Spirit of Radio among others).

I just listened to it thru YouTube, as I don't do the torrent thing and have nothing to trade for it, but I'd sure love to get my hands on a copy. It sure would be cool if the band would make these sort of things available for download through their official site (I'd have no problem paying a reasonable price for it).

Echoes on the Stage (1996)

A Desert Passage (1978)

Hartford '90 (1990)

Fifth Order of Angels (1974)

Vital Dreams (1993)

Some of the best sounding ones I have (besides St Louis 80...) smile.gif

QUOTE (Gnoom @ Jan 13 2012, 12:36 PM)
I recently discovered "Echos on the Stages", which is a soundboard recording of their T4E tour rehearsal. I dunno it it's considered their best boot (my experience with Rush boots is very limited anyway), but it comes highly regarded and the sound quality is at times very good. I like the unique qualities of it (no crowd noise whatsoever; some occasional goofing around by the band members due to the relaxed setting; Geddy sometimes choosing not to sing the lyrics, which made sort-of-instrumentals out of Spirit of Radio among others).

I just listened to it thru YouTube, as I don't do the torrent thing and have nothing to trade for it, but I'd sure love to get my hands on a copy. It sure would be cool if the band would make these sort of things available for download through their official site (I'd have no problem paying a reasonable price for it).

I have the Echoes boot and yes, it is quite good. Excellent quality sound, although as you say, due to the more 'relaxed' rehearsal setting, some of the songs lack some of the urgency and spark that naturally come when there is an audience present. However, it's a very unique recording indeed. What boots do you have Gnoom? I'd be willing to make a copy of Echoes in exchange for something of yours that I don't have.

QUOTE (RUSHFREAK101 @ Jan 13 2012, 04:32 PM)
another excellent bootleg is:

Cool Dream from the counterparts tour

Apr 2 1994 - Madison Wisconsin

I have a copy of this one and I usually play this one once or twice a week

is there a link available for this show?

Yeah, some good ones mentioned! Over The Europe is a big favorite! Spirit of St. Louis 80 is another awesome one!

Pink Pop 6/4/79 is incomplete but another good one!

Two others I think weren't mentioned are Nuts and Bolts (4/2/94) and Darkness and Light (4/26/94) (incomplete)

I'd only ever had an FM broadcast version of the St. Louis Permanent Waves show, which was really good, but suffered from that sort of compression that FM does. Reading people talk about it here led me to download the 'St. Louis 1980 Remastered' version posted in the Different Stages forum (link in this post), and holy crap. AMAZING. The sound is so clear, better than ESL I think, and the performances are on fire.

Oh, if only it was a complete show. I would LOVE to hear Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres from this source.

-Jane

2.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jan 15 2012, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (gudbuytjane @ Jan 14 2012, 06:40 PM)

Oh, if only it was a complete show. I would LOVE to hear Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres from this source.

-Jane

2.gif

Now you're asking for too much! rofl3.gif

But yeah!

Haha, fair point! But maybe, somewhere, in someone's desk drawer, is the rest of the show! smile.gif

I am the sort of person who has dreams about going to a record store and finding, like, a box set of pristine soundboards from every tour a favourite band of mine has ever done. Then I wake up and am kinda bummed. smile.gif

-Jane

2.gif

QUOTE (mmclarney @ Jan 13 2012, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (Gnoom @ Jan 13 2012, 12:36 PM)
I recently discovered "Echos on the Stages", which is a soundboard recording of their T4E tour rehearsal.  I dunno it it's considered their best boot (my experience with Rush boots is very limited anyway), but it comes highly regarded and the sound quality is at times very good.  I like the unique qualities of it (no crowd noise whatsoever;  some occasional goofing around by the band members due to the relaxed setting;  Geddy sometimes choosing not to sing the lyrics, which made sort-of-instrumentals out of Spirit of Radio among others). 

I just listened to it thru YouTube, as I don't do the torrent thing and have nothing to trade for it, but I'd sure love to get my hands on a copy.  It sure would be cool if the band would make these sort of things available for download through their official site (I'd have no problem paying a reasonable price for it).

I have the Echoes boot and yes, it is quite good. Excellent quality sound, although as you say, due to the more 'relaxed' rehearsal setting, some of the songs lack some of the urgency and spark that naturally come when there is an audience present. However, it's a very unique recording indeed. What boots do you have Gnoom? I'd be willing to make a copy of Echoes in exchange for something of yours that I don't have.

Thanks for the offer! I don't have much to offer in exchange, but check your PM for my limited list.