The Official Superhero/Supervillian Movie Thread

Nate2112

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 7 2012, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 6 2012, 12:11 PM)
Captain America has to be the greatest superhero movie thus far. It's epic.

yes.gif

What about Thor

That was good, too!

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jan 9 2012, 04:00 AM)
The Good:
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Batman (Jack Nicholson's Joker is my favorite live action Joker)
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man 1 & 2
Kick Ass

The Meh:
X-Men First Class

The Bad:
Spiderman 3
Hulk '03
Batman Forever
Ghost Rider

The Lame:
Batman & Robin

What I'm looking forward to:
The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Deadpool (2012)
Man of Steel (2013)
The Amazing Spiderman
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
The Flash (2013)
Teen Titans (2013)

A Teen Titans movie is nowhere near being made. It's barely in development. If it does come out, it won't be next year or even 2014. As for The Flash, that movie had been originally planned for 2008 starring Ryan Reynolds. Now, 2013? Nope. Maybe a few years after that and ONLY if the Superman film isn't a flop.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 9 2012, 02:34 AM)
The Good:
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man 1 & 2
Kick Ass

The Meh:
X-Men First Class

The Bad:
Spiderman 3
Hulk '03
Batman Forever
Ghost Rider

The Lame:
Batman & Robin

The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Deadpool (2012)
Man of Steel (2013)
The Amazing Spiderman
The Flash (2013)
Teen Titans (2013)

A Teen Titans movie is nowhere near being made. It's barely in development. If it does come out, it won't be next year or even 2014. As for The Flash, that movie had been originally planned for 2008 starring Ryan Reynolds. Now, 2013? Nope. Maybe a few years after that and ONLY if the Superman film isn't a flop.

Man of Steel won't be a flop (at least I hope not), because Christopher Nolan is writing/directing it. He did well with The Dark Knight series. And I just got the year releases off some website, which may be dated, so sorry about that tongue.gif What do you think about the new Ghost Rider movie btw?

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jan 9 2012, 04:27 PM)
The Good:
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man 1 & 2
Kick Ass

The Meh:
X-Men First Class

The Bad:
Spiderman 3
Hulk '03
Batman Forever
Ghost Rider

The Lame:
Batman & Robin

The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Deadpool (2012)
Man of Steel (2013)
The Amazing Spiderman
The Flash (2013)
Teen Titans (2013)

Man of Steel won't be a flop (at least I hope not), because Christopher Nolan is writing/directing it. He did well with The Dark Knight series. And I just got the year releases off some website, which may be dated, so sorry about that tongue.gif What do you think about the new Ghost Rider movie btw?

Zach Snyder is directing Man of Steel.

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jan 10 2012, 06:27 AM)
The Good:
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man 1 & 2
Kick Ass

The Meh:
X-Men First Class

The Bad:
Spiderman 3
Hulk '03
Batman Forever
Ghost Rider

The Lame:
Batman & Robin

The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Deadpool (2012)
Man of Steel (2013)
The Amazing Spiderman
The Flash (2013)
Teen Titans (2013)

Saw a preview of the next GR movie. The effects look better (of course) but it's still Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze = not good imho.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 9 2012, 01:34 AM)
Maybe a few years after that and ONLY if the Superman film isn't a flop.

Head. Nail. Boom.

Between the debacle that was Green Lantern and the end of the Nolan Batman flicks, if Man of Steel tanks, DC is done with movies for at least a decade, I think. And considering that the New 52 is on shaky ground, I'm actually fearing for the survival of the company for the first time ever. Marvel might not be moving a ton of comics these days either, but they've made billions on their movies from the late 90's onward. DC's only major success has been the Nolan Batman movies.

DC, 1998 to Present:

Catwoman - fail

Batman Begins - win

Superman Returns - fail, mostly

Dark Knight - big win

Watchmen - depends on who you ask. only earned $55mil over $130mil budget.

Jonah Hex - fail

Green Lantern - fail

(coming up)

Dark Knight Rises - guaranteed win

Man of Steel - who knows?

Marvel, 1998 to Present:

Blade - win

X-Men - win

Blade II - win

Spider-Man - huge win

Daredevil - fail

X-Men 2 - win

Hulk - fail

Punisher - fail

Spider-Man 2 - win

Blade III - win

Elektra - laughable fail

Fantastic Four - win

X-Men 3 - notable financial win, critical fail

Ghost Rider - mostly fail

Spider-Man 3 - ugh. but it earned $891 million.

Fantastic Four II - pretty much fail

(here's where they pretty much figured things out)

Iron Man - massive win

Incredible Hulk - win

Punisher War Zone - massive fail

X-Men Origins Wolverine - win

Iron Man 2 - win

Thor - win

X-Men First Class - win

(coming up)

Ghost Rider II - probable fail

Avengers - biggest comic book movie of all time, just watch

Amazing Spider-Man - almost guaranteed win

Iron Man III - probable win

Thor II - probable win

Amazing Spider-Man II - maybe a win

I mean... holy crap. Marvel kicks DC's ass here. If Man of Steel flops... DC is all but done. They don't even have anything in the pipeline right now. I think they're terrified of what's going to happen with Superman and aren't working on anything else with any real enthusiasm.

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 13 2012, 03:28 PM)

Head. Nail. Boom.

Between the debacle that was Green Lantern and the end of the Nolan Batman flicks, if Man of Steel tanks, DC is done with movies for at least a decade, I think. And considering that the New 52 is on shaky ground, I'm actually fearing for the survival of the company for the first time ever. Marvel might not be moving a ton of comics these days either, but they've made billions on their movies from the late 90's onward. DC's only major success has been the Nolan Batman movies.

DC, 1998 to Present:

Catwoman - fail

Batman Begins - win

Superman Returns - fail, mostly

Dark Knight - big win

Watchmen - depends on who you ask. only earned $55mil over $130mil budget.

Jonah Hex - fail

Green Lantern - fail

(coming up)

Dark Knight Rises - guaranteed win

Man of Steel - who knows?

Marvel, 1998 to Present:

Blade - win

X-Men - win

Blade II - win

Spider-Man - huge win

Daredevil - fail

X-Men 2 - win

Hulk - fail

Punisher - fail

Spider-Man 2 - win

Blade III - win

Elektra - laughable fail

Fantastic Four - win

X-Men 3 - notable financial win, critical fail

Ghost Rider - mostly fail

Spider-Man 3 - ugh. but it earned $891 million.

Fantastic Four II - pretty much fail

(here's where they pretty much figured things out)

Iron Man - massive win

Incredible Hulk - win

Punisher War Zone - massive fail

X-Men Origins Wolverine - win

Iron Man 2 - win

Thor - win

X-Men First Class - win

(coming up)

Ghost Rider II - probable fail

Avengers - biggest comic book movie of all time, just watch

Amazing Spider-Man - almost guaranteed win

Iron Man III - probable win

Thor II - probable win

Amazing Spider-Man II - maybe a win

I mean... holy crap. Marvel kicks DC's ass here. If Man of Steel flops... DC is all but done. They don't even have anything in the pipeline right now. I think they're terrified of what's going to happen with Superman and aren't working on anything else with any real enthusiasm.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying (probably because you're basically agreeing with me tongue.gif ) but where did you get some of those numbers? As far as I remember, Watchmen made 55 million in the first weekend and ended up making close to 200 million worldwide. FF2 made well over 200 million despite being a piece of shit with its only redeeming quality being the Surfer/Human Torch chase scene. The first Hulk film was horrible indeed but that too made over 200 million bucks. But yeah overall, Marvel has made more successful films. It's a damn shame too since Superman is easily the most recognizeable superhero of all time. DC should be able to make massive amounts of dough off him! And that's coming from a person that's waaaay more interested in Marvel than DC.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 13 2012, 10:47 PM)
I got the numbers off Wikipedia, but the win/fail was largely subjective. Hulk, for example, you're right - it was profitable, but it sucked so bad that I labeled it a fail. It was late last night and I was being less than scientific about the whole thing laugh.gif

ahhh, I see.

I don't think Avengers will be the biggest superhero flick of all-time (maybe for Marvel fans it will be). But most people have no idea what the Avengers are. It will make a shitload of money though (over 250 million for sure).

The biggest superhero film of all COULD BE that Superman vs. Batman film that they had been fantasizing about making. DC should get on this. Even if it were crap it'd make perverse amounts of money. Look at Batman & Robin (probably THE worst superhero flick of all time), that made over 200 million. And that film's 15 years old.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 14 2012, 03:20 AM)
I got the numbers off Wikipedia, but the win/fail was largely subjective. Hulk, for example, you're right - it was profitable, but it sucked so bad that I labeled it a fail. It was late last night and I was being less than scientific about the whole thing laugh.gif

ahhh, I see.

I don't think Avengers will be the biggest superhero flick of all-time (maybe for Marvel fans it will be). But most people have no idea what the Avengers are. It will make a shitload of money though (over 250 million for sure).

The biggest superhero film of all COULD BE that Superman vs. Batman film that they had been fantasizing about making. DC should get on this. Even if it were crap it'd make perverse amounts of money. Look at Batman & Robin (probably THE worst superhero flick of all time), that made over 200 million. And that film's 15 years old.

I'm not so sure. Iron Man hit just under $600 million and Iron Man 2 hit almost $625 million at the box office. Thor did $450 million and Captain America did almost $370 million. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that The Avengers could do $500 million - though to be honest, someone could tell me that it would do twice that and I wouldn't argue too hard.

As far as 'all time', yeah, probably not forever and ever... but for now, I meant. Thinking about it now, it would be unlikely (but not impossible, IMO) for it to take down The Dark Knight at $1 billion, which - without checking - I believe is the most successful comic book movie thus far.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 15 2012, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 14 2012, 03:20 AM)

ahhh, I see.

I'm not so sure. Iron Man hit just under $600 million and Iron Man 2 hit almost $625 million at the box office. Thor did $450 million and Captain America did almost $370 million. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that The Avengers could do $500 million - though to be honest, someone could tell me that it would do twice that and I wouldn't argue too hard.

As far as 'all time', yeah, probably not forever and ever... but for now, I meant. Thinking about it now, it would be unlikely (but not impossible, IMO) for it to take down The Dark Knight at $1 billion, which - without checking - I believe is the most successful comic book movie thus far.

Before checking I assumed DK was the superhero film king too...and, it is. But I didn't realize that it made over a billion bucks. Holy batshit! ohmy.gif

And I didn't know that Iron Man and Thor put up those kinds of numbers.

So after doing a quick check I found that these are the top 5 hero flicks:

1) Dark Knight (just as you said, making over a billion dollars)

2) Spider-Man 3 (nearly 900,000 bucks...How?! WHY?!!! It sucked!!!)

3) Spider-Man 1 (821 million)

4) Spider-Man 2 (783 million)

5) The Incredibles (631 million...and well-deserved! Great, great movie!)

And the least money-making hero of all, at a pathetic $1,710,000: Steel !

I saw about 10 minutes of Steel. And from what I saw, I have to admit that Catwoman and (believe it or not) Batman & Robin were better.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Spiderman 3 had Venom in it. You would think that a Spiderman movie with one of the greatest villains in the series would make an awesome movie. It took real skill but they managed to screw it up. I think that's why SM3 sold so well.

...then again, I said the same thing about doctor octopus and they screwed that one up too....

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 13 2012, 01:28 AM)

Head. Nail. Boom.

Daredevil - fail

no.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 15 2012, 03:51 PM)

Head. Nail. Boom.

Daredevil - fail

no.gif

Oh, so you're the Daredevil fan! Cool, I was wondering who he was. laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 16 2012, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 15 2012, 03:51 PM)

Head. Nail. Boom.

Daredevil - fail

no.gif

Oh, so you're the Daredevil fan! Cool, I was wondering who he was. laugh.gif

I thought that pool hall scene was pretty good. The problem is that I can't think of many other scenes I liked. That playground bit with Matt Murdock and Elektra made me want to choke the writer. Embarassing!

Other comments on DD: Bullseye=rubbish (but not whatshisname's fault), Kingpin/DD fight=too short, origin=that kid bugged me, Foggy Nelson=good, Jennifer Garner=yeah yeah she's hot but it still didn't help.

Since Punisher was allowed to have 3 films, then Daredevil DEFINITELY deserves another shot!

Daredevil absolutely needs another shot - it has enormous potential. And I'm not even opposed to Ben Affleck in the role (well, he might be a little old for it now). Affleck is a good enough actor to pull it off, but that movie suffered from lack of solid direction, a terrible script and story, and a supporting cast that couldn't overcome all the shortcomings.

I like Jen Garner well enough, but she's not Elektra.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 16 2012, 12:31 PM)
Daredevil absolutely needs another shot - it has enormous potential. And I'm not even opposed to Ben Affleck in the role (well, he might be a little old for it now). Affleck is a good enough actor to pull it off, but that movie suffered from lack of solid direction, a terrible script and story, and a supporting cast that couldn't overcome all the shortcomings.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Jan 17 2012, 07:55 PM)

yes.gif

Sorry, Affleck was horrible, like in most of his roles. He does have some potential as a director, though...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 18 2012, 12:00 PM)

yes.gif

Sorry, Affleck was horrible, like in most of his roles.

That may be true but no actor could've saved that piece of shit film.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 18 2012, 11:50 PM)

yes.gif

Affleck, IMO, suffers more from his public image than he does from his acting skills. His work before the J-Lo fiasco was good. Not Oscar-worthy, but he wasn't a bad actor. He's done things since that time that were not bad. I'm not saying he's a terrific actor, but I've certainly seen a lot worse.

I think a lot of peoples' perception of his acting is colored by their perception of that "Bennifer" period.

Plus, he was the bomb in Phantoms, yo. cool.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 19 2012, 03:01 PM)

yes.gif

Affleck, IMO, suffers more from his public image than he does from his acting skills. His work before the J-Lo fiasco was good. Not Oscar-worthy, but he wasn't a bad actor. He's done things since that time that were not bad. I'm not saying he's a terrific actor, but I've certainly seen a lot worse.

I think a lot of peoples' perception of his acting is colored by their perception of that "Bennifer" period.

His best role (though small) was in Dazed and Confused. I'm not joking.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 19 2012, 01:01 AM)

yes.gif

I think Affleck has made a nice rebound since he started directing. Both "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Town" are excellent films, and his acting in the latter film is simple yet effective.