The First Show in Hartford, CT

NobodysHeroine

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 1 2012, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 1 2012, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 1 2012, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 1 2012, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 1 2012, 08:00 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 1 2012, 07:11 AM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Dec 31 2011, 11:16 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 31 2011, 06:26 PM)
I saw them in Hartford, CT for the Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows tours. tongue.gif

Me too!!!!

Wait a minute...they didn't play Hartford on the P/G tour!!!

I know I saw them 6 times in the 80's in Connecticut - Signals, GUP, Power Windows & HYF in New Haven, and twice in Hartford on those first three tours, so maybe it was Signals and Power Windows.

Had to have been, I checked the tour dates just to make sure I didn't miss a show (as in 2.gif played nearby and I missed it) and there is no show listed although they do mention a second New Haven show (or a third if you count the originally scheduled show which was cancelled, and then the rescheduled show a few nights later) which again, I'm sure never happened unless once more I missed a show I could have attended.

Just to clarify (or confuse).

-There was the 9/24/84 cancelled show.

-The 9/28/84 rescheduled show.

-But then there is an 11/9/84 show listed....But I'm almost positive this is an error....Did this show actually happen and I missed it???!!! This was when I was super into 2.gif , they were hugely popluar and every 2.gif fan in my school would have talked about it which would have had me there and that's why I think it's an error....Anybody know about this?

Link to tour dates.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/Tours.htm

According to Cygnus X-1, they played Sept. 28 and Nov 9 in New Haven

So does the link I provided but as I mentioned I have no recall of the Nov 9 show. BTW I was living in New Haven at the time so it would have been BIG news if 2.gif was doing a show then.

Regardless, it was cool that we were at a few of the same shows! I saw a lot of concerts at the New Haven Coliseum from 1981-1987 or so. Did you see Van Halen there for the Diver Down tour? Now that was an amazing f*cking show! 1022.gif

No, I missed it but I did see them on 1984 there which I still regard as possibly THE best show I've ever seen. I read in another thread that the DD show was amazing and that Dave hadn't yet become the caricature of a rock 'n roll front man he had become by the time '84 was released.

Yeah, that was probably me that posted that. The 1984 show was great, but the Diver Down show completely blew it away. I talked to others at the time who went to both, and they agreed. Sorry!

And I know it's inconsequential how many shows they played or each of us attended...but it's driving me nuts about that Nov 9 thing...Do YOU remember two shows on the P?G tour in New Haven?

All I remember for sure is seeing them 6 times in CT in the 80's on the Signals through HYF tours. Twice I saw them in Hartford, and it wasn't for the HYF show, so it had to be for Signals, GUP or Power Windows. I know I didn't see them twice in New Haven for the same tour. I do seem to remember vaguely something about one show being rescheduled. Alas, I got rid of my ticket stubs decades ago...

Where's Tick?...He'd know.

He probably would - I know he was there for most of those shows too.

And yes...It is totally cool we were at some of the same shows then and here we are now talking about it!!!

Like totally! tongue.gif

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Jan 1 2012, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jan 1 2012, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Dec 29 2011, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Dec 29 2011, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Dec 29 2011, 01:58 PM)
...snipped...

I was only eight years old,

...snipped...

b_sigh.gif This makes me feel f'ing ancient.

old.gif

yeah, I was 8 when I first discovered Rush......in f*ckin' 1976!!

And I was 18 when I heard them the first time ("Working Man" on the radio and a friend had the first album).......in 1974!! You guys are youngsters!!

Hey, there's nothing wrong with being "old." Believe me, sometimes I wish that I weren't so young! Sometimes I also wish that I weren't part of my generation. Most music simply sucks nowadays, if it can even be called music. That's why I love "older" music like that of Rush as much as I do; it is timeless and has actual substance. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Well growing up in the 70s WAS a great experience in many ways, including musically. I absolutely love it when younger people like yourself feel the way you do and dig the older shit cuz of course I think it's the best.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jan 2 2012, 02:08 AM)
...snipped...

...snipped...

old.gif

And I was 18 when I heard them the first time ("Working Man" on the radio and a friend had the first album).......in 1974!! You guys are youngsters!!

Hey, there's nothing wrong with being "old." Believe me, sometimes I wish that I weren't so young! Sometimes I also wish that I weren't part of my generation. Most music simply sucks nowadays, if it can even be called music. That's why I love "older" music like that of Rush as much as I do; it is timeless and has actual substance. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Well growing up in the 70s WAS a great experience in many ways, including musically. I absolutely love it when younger people like yourself feel the way you do and dig the older shit cuz of course I think it's the best.

agreed...

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 2 2012, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jan 2 2012, 02:08 AM)
...snipped...

...snipped...

old.gif

agreed...

The 70s were an absolutely amazing, special time. All time eras are not made equal. Remember that in the 70s we had new offerings and/or tours from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Yes, Rush, Genesis, The Police, and others. I haven't done the math, but if you add the albums and tours of these groups (think about it) - that time period had epic new music and tours *all the time*. People often think of disco when they think of the 70s. I dont, I think of one of the greatest times in rock history. If you simply reach back to the last 3-4 years of the 60s, you add a lot of Beatles, Hendrix, earlier Who Stones, etc... its was an EPIC time.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 2 2012, 11:25 AM)
I'll join the wish-I-was-a-70s-kid club! yes.gif sad.gif

There were advantages (epic new music in months, not years) and disadvantages (no video games, cordless nevermind cell phones, internet, a thousand other things). The music was.. special.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 2 2012, 11:34 AM)

There were advantages (epic new music in months, not years) and disadvantages (no video games, cordless nevermind cell phones, internet, a thousand other things). The music was.. special.

I wouldn't mind the video games or cell phones, but the internet would be a killer, though... yes.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 2 2012, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 2 2012, 11:34 AM)

I wouldn't mind the video games or cell phones, but the internet would be a killer, though... yes.gif

laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

One of these days I might make a list of every band I saw in the 70s and post it here. It's a pretty impressive list and maybe I'd do a short comment on the shows. It would require a lot of hard thinking to make sure I remembered most or all of them but since I was never a heavy drinker I was coherent for all the shows so my memory of them is quite good.

As mentioned earlier in this thread (and not meaning to totally derail the original intent of the thread) I love that a lot of you folks like the 60s/70s stuff the best and yeah, it was great new music nearly non-stop.

All this talk about the past makes me think about the concerts that we could have seen... Thin lizzy and Rush on the same stage in their absolute prime??! UFO and Rush in 1976?!?! Wow. Or Rush opening for Kiss even! I can't even picture it..

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jan 3 2012, 06:47 AM)
All this talk about the past makes me think about the concerts that we could have seen... Thin lizzy and Rush on the same stage in their absolute prime??! UFO and Rush in 1976?!?! Wow. Or Rush opening for Kiss even! I can't even picture it..

I hear ya...I'll bet some of those shows were unbelievable. Ain't it funny how then it was just another show, but now we look at them as musical history.

I was not there...I was in Pittsburgh actually...but that partciular night I was probably taking a nap or watching some TV...I am pretty sure though even from Pittsburgh you could feel the vibe coming off of them.

I was there. We were in the back on Geddy's side, not great seats, but just happy to be there. If I remember correctly, it was right after John Entwistle died and they dedicated "Between Sun & Moon" to him. Edited by andrew28

I was there. I HAD to be.

I thought they were done and I was there to thank them for the past present and future.

The crowd vibe was amazing and you could tell than many people were there for the same reasons and I think the band fed off of that.

I remember wondering if Geddy would say anything about Entwhistle, who was one of his bass heroes.

It was an uneven show by Rush standards but that didn't matter.

I got chills when the drums were uncovered.

I have never shed tears during Tom Sawyer before or since, but I did that night.

I'm not sure I can even describe what it was like during the drum solo. I've never seen a crowd so loud and appreciative for his solo than that night. It all just seemed to spill over at that point.

I've been to about 40 Rush gigs (need to check the stubs) and there have been many favorites, but nothing touches that night for me. (Not even the first one watching Marillion play my favorite album of all time before seeing Rush on the Power Windows tour.)