The REAL first chord of "A Hard Day's Night"

Draco

Chord is a bit of a misnomer here. Most of the arguing has been over what George played. I have really never heard anyone worked up about what Paul and John were doing but when you hear it it definitely makes sense.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 15 2011, 08:57 PM)
Chord is a bit of a misnomer here. Most of the arguing has been over what George played. I have really never heard anyone worked up about what Paul and John were doing but when you hear it it definitely makes sense.

Yeah, it's not so much "a chord that George or John plays" but the overall wall of tones generated by the whole band.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 15 2011, 11:43 PM)
Either way, it's still a chord (or more accurately, a polychord), just being played by multiple instruments.

you can argue this but, if you do, then everything is a chord including single notes since there are overtones/harmonics any time you strike a note. Also, you would be able to freeze any song at any time and say that whatever is happening is a chord including the percussion since they are creating tones at specific pitches. I prefer the usual definition of chord that I describe as two or more notes sounded "simultaneously" on a single instrument.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 16 2011, 09:14 PM)
Either way, it's still a chord (or more accurately, a polychord), just being played by multiple instruments.

you can argue this but, if you do, then everything is a chord including single notes since there are overtones/harmonics any time you strike a note. Also, you would be able to freeze any song at any time and say that whatever is happening is a chord including the percussion since they are creating tones at specific pitches. I prefer the usual definition of chord that I describe as two or more notes sounded "simultaneously" on a single instrument.

I always thought a chord was simply defined as three or more notes or pitches played simultaneously. I never understood that to imply using one instrument.

Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 16 2011, 11:34 PM)

I always thought a chord was simply defined as three or more notes or pitches played simultaneously. I never understood that to imply using one instrument.

that is very true. By the "single instrument" rule, a symphony orchestra would almost never play any chords.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Dec 16 2011, 11:59 PM)

that is very true. By the "single instrument" rule, a symphony orchestra would almost never play any chords.

so, then everything is a chord then.

There is "technical" and the way people talk. anyone who asks "what chord is that?" does not expect an answer that includes what the keyboards, vocalist, bass player, and drummer are doing. They want to know that "he's playing a C."

Edited by Ancient Ways

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 17 2011, 03:29 PM)

There is "technical" and the way people talk. anyone who asks "what chord is that?" does not expect an answer that includes what the keyboards, vocalist, bass player, and drummer are doing. They want to know that "he's playing a C."

That's only because in most pop music, all the instruments are playing pretty much the same chord, and there's no difference between what the guitarist, for example, is playing and what the band as a whole is playing. When there is, however, the word "chord" is absolutely appropriate for describing the result of different instruments playing different pitches.

It doesn't make any sense to distinguish between the two definitions, really...we, as listeners, often have trouble discerning exactly who is playing what notes when we're listening to a whole band playing together, so you have to describe the "chord" as being the sum of the different instruments. Harmonically, it doesn't really matter if one guy is playing a C and a G while the other guy plays an E and a B, or if they both play C-E-G-B; the listener will still perceive it as a Cmaj7.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Dec 19 2011, 07:12 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 17 2011, 03:29 PM)

That's only because in most pop music, all the instruments are playing pretty much the same chord, and there's no difference between what the guitarist, for example, is playing and what the band as a whole is playing. When there is, however, the word "chord" is absolutely appropriate for describing the result of different instruments playing different pitches.

It doesn't make any sense to distinguish between the two definitions, really...we, as listeners, often have trouble discerning exactly who is playing what notes when we're listening to a whole band playing together, so you have to describe the "chord" as being the sum of the different instruments. Harmonically, it doesn't really matter if one guy is playing a C and a G while the other guy plays an E and a B, or if they both play C-E-G-B; the listener will still perceive it as a Cmaj7.

That's not how I listen to music.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Dec 19 2011, 11:55 PM)
I'd be flipping out as well if that happened to me. That is awesome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Now it's time for me to put in that CD and play along with drums...

yeah, the discussion kind of went on a tangent. I think it is awesome they had access to these recordings.