Does Rush have a bunch of unreleased songs?

Tom Sawyer

Or any?

Let's face it, most every ban has extra material they did have room to put on an album, maybe they didn't think it fit the rest of the album, maybe it wasn't "good enough" at the time.

Maybe it's better than stuff they are writting and performimng these days.

It could make them extra bucks if they had songs.

Maybe that stuff is better left until they are retired or finished, or whatever.

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Dec 2 2011, 02:50 PM)
Or any?

Let's face it, most every ban has extra material they did have room to put on an album, maybe they didn't think it fit the rest of the album, maybe it wasn't "good enough" at the time.

Maybe that stuff is better left until they are retired or finished, or whatever.

I remember reading something about this a while ago. The answer was that they never really leave anything on the cutting room floor. All the material is used and there's nothing extra recorded for each album. Can someone back me up here? My memory isn't what it once was wink.gif

QUOTE (tjtull @ Dec 2 2011, 03:12 PM)
Or any?

I remember reading something about this a while ago. The answer was that they never really leave anything on the cutting room floor. All the material is used and there's nothing extra recorded for each album. Can someone back me up here? My memory isn't what it once was wink.gif

Absolutely true. They've said this a few times over the years. If they bothered to write and record it, it's on the studio album. There's nothing "extra" laying around.

Actually, I'm surprised Tom (original poster) didn't already know this.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Or any?

You're right, I remember reading the same thing. There's probably demos/alternate takes that we haven't heard, but no completely new songs. Alas.

After S&A, I can't believe that there's anything out there that they wouldn't have released, since those songs made the cut...

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Dec 2 2011, 08:41 PM)
After S&A, I can't believe that there's anything out there that they wouldn't have released, since those songs made the cut...

...beat me to it! laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 2 2011, 01:32 PM)
Or any?

Absolutely true. They've said this a few times over the years. If they bothered to write and record it, it's on the studio album. There's nothing "extra" laying around.

Actually, I'm surprised Tom (original poster) didn't already know this.

I've actually read "a lot" about Rush over the years and never remember seeing reference to this. Thanks for setting the record straight though.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for them for working this way, actually. My other favorite band is The Cure. The stuff they put out as B-Sides and unreleased songs on stuff like Join the Dots and the special edition re-releases of the studio albums is (for the most part) terrible. There are a few (out of hundreds) really standout songs that make you wonder why they weren't on the record, but Smith is putting out whole discs of pre-demo demos. Like, not even the band, just him noodling around with some instruments making noise.

I can't tell you how happy I am that Rush doesn't do that.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 2 2011, 05:24 PM)
I have a tremendous amount of respect for them for working this way, actually. My other favorite band is The Cure. The stuff they put out as B-Sides and unreleased songs on stuff like Join the Dots and the special edition re-releases of the studio albums is (for the most part) terrible. There are a few (out of hundreds) really standout songs that make you wonder why they weren't on the record, but Smith is putting out whole discs of pre-demo demos. Like, not even the band, just him noodling around with some instruments making noise.

I can't tell you how happy I am that Rush doesn't do that.

I don't know, I would love to hear some tracks of the guys just noodling around. Not finished songs maybe, but just jamming? Hell yeah.

Malignant Narcissism started out as just Geddy fooling around in the studio with a borrowed bass. So you never know. yes.gif

I love bands with a ton of b-sides. My favorite is The Smashing Pumpkins, who are notorious for keeping some of their best songs as b-sides. I seriously think they did that in the time of cd singles to make the singles more desirable purchases, since the b-side was often better than the actual released single.

It surprises me that Rush doesn't have many b-sides. Especially during the 80's where they only had to come up with 8 songs.

I for one would love it if Rush were to release their unreleased live material in some sort of live archives album (something like Iron Maiden did once). I'd love to finally hear official live releases of Where's My Thing?, Hemispheres, Kid Gloves, Afterimage, The Body Electric, Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams, and Cold Fire to name a few.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Dec 3 2011, 01:14 PM)
I for one would love it if Rush were to release their unreleased live material in some sort of live archives album (something like Iron Maiden did once). I'd love to finally hear official live releases of Where's My Thing?, Hemispheres, Kid Gloves, Afterimage, The Body Electric, Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams, and Cold Fire to name a few.

goodpost.gif

Wow, I forgot to add these other songs that never got an official live release....add The Necromancer, The Fountain of Lamneth (if the rumors of it being played live were true), Red Lenses, Countdown, Chemistry, Ceiling Unlimited, Virtuality, Limbo, etc to that list.

There's roughly 30 or so unreleased live songs which is enough for a Different Stages-esque live album. Why not release all of them? That way, us fans don't need to rely on listening to these great live tracks via a boot or soundboard. Not that I think boots or soundboards aren't great, it's just that I would rather have a live album full of unreleased live tracks than another umpteenth reissue of the same albums unless they're 5.1 mixes.

There's other stuff they have in their archives such as a complete Permanent Waves era show (this is where the Guitar Hero 5 version of The Spirit of Radio came from) that was supposed to be their 2nd live album but scrapped in favor of working on Moving Pictures instead. There's also a few radio broadcasts that are currently available as boots (St. Louis 1980 and Run Faster) that can possibly be released officially as well. They might not have any unreleased studio songs, but they got a crapload of unreleased live takes.

Edited by PolarizeMe