Latest Album Update

Tony R

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (analog guy @ Nov 21 2011, 02:20 AM)
Records in general, not just Rush records, are too long.

I actually miss the limitations of vinyl... not just because of the length, but also the mastering (another argument for another time).

Still, I find a 45 minute statement is much easier to digest than a 70-80 minute one. Inevitably, the creativity is always stretched a little thin over the longer running time.

I might just be a jaded old fart... but I miss the days of doing shorter records but putting them out quicker.

Sure, you only got a 7 song album, but in 12 months you had another one. Better than waiting four years for a 12 song album.

Amen!!! goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Watchful_Eye @ Nov 21 2011, 04:52 PM)
Omg, I got really high expactations now. :-)

The first two songs we already know are better than everything on S&A and I loved the Prog influence on Caravan.

I know. A few posters on here tried saying that Caravan is not prog. WTF?? It's as close to prog as they have been since 1980.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 09:58 PM)

The first two songs we already know are better than everything on S&A and I loved the Prog influence on Caravan.

I know. A few posters on here tried saying that Caravan is not prog. WTF?? It's as close to prog as they have been since 1980.

I'm not hearing any Prog.

Which bits are Prog in your opinion?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 21 2011, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 09:58 PM)

I'm not hearing any Prog.

Which bits are Prog in your opinion?

It isnt prog. Their prog days are long gone...(as you obviously know)

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["progressive rock"]; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I hear it, and the songs involved in this case are not that!

Prog to me is long instrumental breaks, odd times, off the wall ideas, and great musicianship. The whole middle section of Caravan is the definition of prog practically. Lots of breaks/starts and stops with well thought out jamming and off the wall sections that somehow fit together. Rush got kind of weird again in that song and they haven't been that good kind of weird in so long. That section reminds me a lot of Dream Theater and when I think of prog I think DT. As far as fitting different sections together kind of reminds me of Maiden or Queensryche and would call both of those bands prog metal. Here's hoping Rush get weird on CA and keep those instrumental jams coming.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 06:17 PM)
Prog to me is long instrumental breaks, odd times, off the wall ideas, and great musicianship. The whole middle section of Caravan is the definition of prog practically. Lots of breaks/starts and stops with well thought out jamming and off the wall sections that somehow fit together. Rush got kind of weird again in that song and they haven't been that good kind of weird in so long. That section reminds me a lot of Dream Theater and when I think of prog I think DT. As far as fitting different sections together kind of reminds me of Maiden or Queensryche and would call both of those bands prog metal. Here's hoping Rush get weird on CA and keep those instrumental jams coming.

The middle section of Caravan sounds nothing like DT to me. It is a quick little jam thrown into a rock song.....(IMO)

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 21 2011, 07:21 PM)

The middle section of Caravan sounds nothing like DT to me. It is a quick little jam thrown into a rock song.....(IMO)

Totally disagree. I think the last time Rush were truly prog was probably Natural Science. Listen to the sections. It's almost like different songs almost that got strung together but somehow it all works. I get that vibe from Caravan. Although I wouldn't really call BU2B prog it's so powerful and I just get a old Rush vibe from it especially with Ged's playing and I hear some GUP vibe from Alex and the keys. I think more than wanting prog from this record I just want an old school Rush vibe and I definitely got that from these two songs when I first listened. Even Neil's drumming on Caravan is as "old school" as he's been in a long time. If you disagree I respect your opinion but from all the comments I've seen around the web you are in a big minority. I've read countless comments that said best Rush have done in ages and I agree.

Edited by presto123

Prog is not Dream Theater. That is Prog-Hard-Rock or Prog-metal. Rush has NEVER been a prog band. That title is reserved for Yes, ELP, King Crimson, and the like: stuff that doesn't sound like rock as considered in the normal sense.

Rush was Prog-Hard-Rock until Signals, and then they were just rock. I would say parts of VT and S&A are definitely Prog-Hard-Rock, or even Prog-Metal in some parts.

Caravan is very progressive, but that doesn't make it Prog.

Just IMO, of course.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 06:38 PM)

Totally disagree. I think the last time Rush were truly prog was probably Natural Science. Listen to the sections. It's almost like different songs almost that got strung together but somehow it all works. I get that vibe from Caravan. Although I wouldn't really call BU2B prog it's so powerful and I just get a old Rush vibe from it especially with Ged's playing and I hear some GUP vibe from Alex and the keys. I think more than wanting prog from this record I just want an old school Rush vibe and I definitely got that from these two songs when I first listened. Even Neil's drumming on Caravan is as "old school" as he's been in a long time. If you disagree I respect your opinion but from all the comments I've seen around the web you are in a big minority. I've read countless comments that said best Rush have done in ages and I agree.

I don't care if I'm in the "minority". That's my opinion. If being in the "majority" makes you feel special, there you go....

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 21 2011, 07:54 PM)
Prog is not Dream Theater. That is Prog-Hard-Rock or Prog-metal. Rush has NEVER been a prog band. That title is reserved for Yes, ELP, King Crimson, and the like: stuff that doesn't sound like rock as considered in the normal sense.

Rush was Prog-Hard-Rock until Signals, and then they were just rock. I would say parts of VT and S&A are definitely Prog-Hard-Rock, or even Prog-Metal in some parts.

Just IMO, of course.

Prog metal or prog rock is still prog to me so DT are definitely prog. Like I said I can care less if Rush are prog or not I get an old school sense of that weirdness coming back and that's good enough for me. And I think Nick R. probably plays a big part in that. He wasn't on board yet when most of SnA was written so I'm anxious to hear how this comes out.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 21 2011, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 06:38 PM)

I don't care if I'm in the "minority". That's my opinion. If being in the "majority" makes you feel special, there you go....

I said I respect your opinion what more do you want?

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 07:01 PM)

Just IMO, of course.

Prog metal or prog rock is still prog to me so DT are definitely prog. Like I said I can care less if Rush are prog or not I get an old school sense of that weirdness coming back and that's good enough for me. And I think Nick R. probably plays a big part in that. He wasn't on board yet when most of SnA was written so I'm anxious to hear how this comes out.

Where on earth are you hearing this "old school sense of weirdness"??? Please explain.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 08:01 PM)

Just IMO, of course.

I guess I was misusing Prog. I meant Prog as in 'progressive rock'.

DT is very Prog as in progressive. Just not 'prog rock.'

And I do hope Rush goes a little Prog-metal on CA. That would totally be sweet! 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 21 2011, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 07:01 PM)

Just IMO, of course.

Where on earth are you hearing this "old school sense of weirdness"??? Please explain.

Actually, don't explain. We disagree completly...lets leave it at that.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 21 2011, 07:25 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2011, 08:54 AM)
And don't get me wrong, The Main Monkey Business is a great song, and it's not unpleasantly repetitive or anything, but YYZ had far more musical ideas and intricacy going on in 2/3rds the amount of time.  Hope I find beautiful and concise.

Goobs...I personally think that this is the problem though. You are comparing TMMB to YYZ...that's the issue right there.

Yes, they are both instrumentals, but that is essentially where the comparisons end. We all know how special YYZ or La Villa are. Nobody will deny their greatness, and honestly, those songs are probably high up on just about everyone's lists.

When I listen to a new Rush album, I'm not sitting there comparing any of the new songs to any of their past material. Caravan to Tom Sawyer or BU2B to Freewill. It just makes no sense IMO.

Maybe it's just me, but I never go into a new Rush album expecting it to sound like one of their classic albums. The MP's and PeW's happened, and thankfully so. But, this isn't 1981 anymore...it's 2011. It's the same thing I always said about those who keep asking for Terry Brown to come back...just because he was there to produce the "golden era" of Rush, doesn't mean he's going to automatically give us another MP or AFTK.

If there is one thing I've learned from Rush over the years, it's that no two albums sound alike. Each one can stand alone on it's own, and that's great. To me, it's really the magic of this band.

I feel sorry for those that don't hear the greatness of Caravan and BU2B. I have high hopes for the forthcoming album...afterall, they haven't let me down yet. 1022.gif

Well, I DID say that TMMB is a great song.

Comparisons are inevitable. Maybe you're able to completely divorce comparing from your mind, but I'm not. I do judge something on its own merits, but I can't forget or ignore Rush's vast catalog. If something is glaringly inferior to the high standard they've set, I notice it. I'm not saying this is the case with TMMB, but in general.

And some say "well, even bad Rush is better than 99% of what's out there." That might be true, but some bad Rush I just don't like even if it is better than most of the crap out there.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 21 2011, 02:37 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 21 2011, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 08:54 PM)
Caravan and BU2B are both so good I don't know which one I like best. The whole SnA record had only one or two songs(Far Cry, Armor Sword) that can even come close to these two. I can't wait to hear this record!

Armour and Sword is a bleedin dirge. Most boring vocal he's ever done.

A&S is my favorite from S&A.

Nice palindrome! wink.gif

Not only is it the best song on S&A, it's the best song they've done since HYF. The only songs since then that come close to the greatness of HYF for me are Dreamline and Animate.

Armor & Sword is a latter-day Rush masterpiece. yes.gif notworthy.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2011, 08:38 PM)
Caravan and BU2B are both so good I don't know which one I like best. The whole SnA record had only one or two songs(Far Cry, Armor Sword) that can even come close to these two. I can't wait to hear this record!

Not only is it the best song on S&A, it's the best song they've done since HYF. The only songs since then that come close to the greatness of HYF for me are Dreamline and Animate.

No wonder we don't see eye to eye. HYF would be towards the bottom of my record list. I was let down after the brilliance that was Power Windows. It has its moments but it also has some of what you call "filler". rofl3.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 21 2011, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2011, 08:38 PM)

No wonder we don't see eye to eye. HYF would be towards the bottom of my record list. I was let down after the brilliance that was Power Windows. It has its moments but it also has some of what you call "filler". rofl3.gif

Yes, the last two songs are pure filler, but the rest is awesome. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 21 2011, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 21 2011, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 18 2011, 01:41 PM)
3 or 4 songs with arrangements that are "different" from the usual Rush-style. Hopefully that means we won't get endless repeats of verses...

God, I hope so. I hope BU2B is the worst song on the album. If not, yuk.

Well, if BU2B is the "worst" song on the new album, then this album will be f'n amazing. So yeah, I hope you're right...

BU2B blows.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 21 2011, 08:54 PM)

Just IMO, of course.

Do you understand what prog is short for? wacko.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 21 2011, 09:58 PM)

Just IMO, of course.

Well I was assuming he meant Prog as in 'progressive rock' as in Yes, etc.

If I was wrong and he simply meant 'progressive', than I apologize for my post.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 22 2011, 08:54 AM)

Just IMO, of course.

"Caravan is very progressive, but that doesn't make it Prog."

My point is, this line makes no sense. If something is progressive, it does make it prog.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 22 2011, 08:54 AM)

Just IMO, of course.

Check out ProgArchives for the complete definition. You will see the proper Prog genres listed. yes.gif