People who flat out drive like shit!

Tom Sawyer

I used to think cyclists were annoying, too. Then I became one.

If you've never tried it, try putting yourself on a $1500 bicycle and riding on a two lane highway (not an interstate but a rural highway) sometime. It's fking terrifying the first few times you do it.

A little perspective from the other side of the equation will clear your head right up about cyclists.

That said, some of them are still selfish pricks on the roads - I'm not excusing all of them wink.gif lol

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 21 2011, 07:34 PM)
If you've never tried it, try putting yourself on a $1500 bicycle and riding on a two lane highway (not an interstate but a rural highway) sometime.

Why would I (or anyone) ever need to do that?

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 22 2011, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 21 2011, 07:34 PM)
If you've never tried it, try putting yourself on a $1500 bicycle and riding on a two lane highway (not an interstate but a rural highway) sometime.

Why would I (or anyone) ever need to do that?

Because depending on where you live, that might be your primary option for riding a bike outdoors for exercise. My neighborhood is bordered by two such roads on the east and south and by nothing but open field and woods on the north and west. So, unless I want to risk getting hit by someone backing out of their driveway (a very, very common occurrence - very dangerous), I need to get out of the neighborhood, and that means getting on the faster road.

I mentioned the price of the bike only to illustrate that there's something else of value in the equation and that can influence the state of mind.

80% of drivers think they are in the top 30% in driving ability.

The worst drivers in the world are the people who have ever honked their horn in rage. I see plenty of terrible drivers every day, but I've never felt the urge to honk at anyone in my life. Honking at someone you don't even know is the equivalent of spitting in their face and saying "f**k you, dipshit." No class.

Plus, when you dwell about others' mistakes, you imply that you've never made a mistake. I've always kind've hated people who road-rage.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Nov 22 2011, 07:33 PM)
Honking at someone you don't even know is the equivalent of spitting in their face and saying "f**k you, dipshit."

Umm....not everyone thinks in such vulgar terms when they honk their horns.

You can honk your horn to send several messages:

The light is GREEN. You can go now.

Get back in your own lane!

You just cut me off!

You just ran the red light and almost hit me!

Get out of the street, jaywalker!

Hey, good lookin'......how ya doin'?! wink.gif

Hey John, I'm parked over HERE!

etc.

etc.

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Nov 22 2011, 11:05 PM)
QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Nov 22 2011, 07:33 PM)
Honking at someone you don't even know is the equivalent of spitting in their face and saying "f**k you, dipshit."

Umm....not everyone thinks in such vulgar terms when they honk their horns.

You can honk your horn to send several messages:

The light is GREEN. You can go now.

Get back in your own lane!

You just cut me off!

You just ran the red light and almost hit me!

Get out of the street, jaywalker!

Hey, good lookin'......how ya doin'?! wink.gif

Hey John, I'm parked over HERE!

etc.

etc.

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

There's the George Carlin option to the horn. . .

a sign that would rise up out of the trunk and the driver could type in any message he wanted to send:

"You drive like old people f*ck. Slow and sloppy." laugh.gif

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Nov 22 2011, 08:33 PM)
The worst drivers in the world are the people who have ever honked their horn in rage. I see plenty of terrible drivers every day, but I've never felt the urge to honk at anyone in my life. Honking at someone you don't even know is the equivalent of spitting in their face and saying "f**k you, dipshit." No class.

not quite. The horn is intended to be used when you need the attention of somebody else on the road. for example, if someone cuts you off and nearly causes an accident, you use the horn to let them know that you're there. if they didn't notice you, it's a wake-up call for them, and if they did notice you then it's to let them know that they f*cked up. If I'm angry at somebody's driving, I'm more likely to be swearing up a storm (generally to the amusement of my passengers) than riding the horn, but if the situation calls for it i'll use the horn. It doesn't make you a jerk. If you're a shitty driver, making the roads shit for everyone else, you deserve to be called out on your shit. if anything, it's the other party who usually has the "f**k you, asshole" mentality towards the horn-blower (assuming that THEY can do no wrong, and that anyone who has the nerve to honk at them is more at fault and too impatient/aggressive a driver).

...Tell me about it..especially here in cali-land.

2 drops of rain, and its spin-outville left and right....

Everybody goes into an instant brain-freeze,

the moment they see water!! fing.gif

laugh.gif ohmy.gif wacko.gif unsure.gif yes.gif

I HATE HATE HATE when people are making right turns on a highway or major road, and there's a massive shoulder they can easily drive in to make that turn, but instead they decide to turn from the right lane on the major road, thus slowing everyone down. Get in the f***ing shoulder and turn you asshole!!!!

Also, people who forget that a red light will eventually turn green and wind up wasting precious green light seconds sitting still. Do you really have to get into a task at a red light? Especially annoying at green arrows that are only green for like 15 seconds.

My commute is through South Jersey and Philly every morning, sometimes I wish I had missiles on my car.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 23 2011, 05:29 AM)
I HATE HATE HATE when people are making right turns on a highway or major road, and there's a massive shoulder they can easily drive in to make that turn, but instead they decide to turn from the right lane on the major road, thus slowing everyone down. Get in the f***ing shoulder and turn you asshole!!!!

Because it's illegal? If it's a shoulder marked by a solid white line, it's illegal to drive in it. Shoulders are not driving lanes no matter how much of a rush you might be in or how impatient you might be with the "asshole" in front of you.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 09:30 AM)

Because it's illegal? If it's a shoulder marked by a solid white line, it's illegal to drive in it. Shoulders are not driving lanes no matter how much of a rush you might be in or how impatient you might be with the "asshole" in front of you.

Cops around here like to get people for "crossing the gore", meaning they jump into or out of the exit lanes by cutting through that no man's land (called the gore) between the ramp and the freeway.

What cranks me is when there's a double lane, but there's no left turn light. So when you approach the intersection you have to look and see if anyone in the inside lane is planning to turn left. If they are, you'd better stay to the right because the left turners are going to hold up the entire line of traffic behind them as they wait to turn left on yellow. So you pull up to the intersection, see no left turn signals, and think, "cool, I can go ahead and change lanes now." Then the light changes and the dipshit in front of you immediately throws on his turn indicator.

Really? You couldn't let us all know any earlier that you wanted to turn left? I know poor traffic flow planning on the part of the DOT isn't your fault, but hey, I could've stayed where I was in the right turn lane instead of being pinned here behind your left turning ass for at LEAST one more cycle.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 23 2011, 07:29 AM)

I've never even heard of anyone merging into the shoulder, and I should hope it's not a common practice for anyone, seeing as how it's neither legal nor practical. Almost any car can make it to 60mph in under 10 seconds. If that's not fast enough for you, either the merging vehicle pulled out too late and cut you off, or you're going too fast and being unnecessarily impatient, but using the shoulder as a makeshift on-ramp isn't the right way to solve either of these problems.

Edited by fledgehog

I find that there are a lot of people that I end up near who are totally wasted somehow. If civilians could give out tickets...

QUOTE (librarian @ Nov 23 2011, 02:18 PM)
I find that there are a lot of people that I end up near who are totally wasted somehow. If civilians could give out tickets...

That would be a mess. everyone that ever cuts someone off would be getting a ticket. There needs to be a hotline to get the cops involved... in rural WI - I'm not there often - but you see drunk drivers a lot.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Nov 23 2011, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Nov 23 2011, 02:18 PM)

That would be a mess. everyone that ever cuts someone off would be getting a ticket. There needs to be a hotline to get the cops involved... in rural WI - I'm not there often - but you see drunk drivers a lot.

I've called Highway Patrol or the State Police twice on someone, both times in Florida. They've got signs on the side of the road with numbers to call in the event of an emergency, and I defined "emergency" by the way those people were driving.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 23 2011, 12:29 PM)

I've never even heard of anyone merging into the shoulder, and I should hope it's not a common practice for anyone, seeing as how it's neither legal nor practical. Almost any car can make it to 60mph in under 10 seconds. If that's not fast enough for you, either the merging vehicle pulled out too late and cut you off, or you're going too fast and being unnecessarily impatient, but using the shoulder as a makeshift on-ramp isn't the right way to solve either of these problems.

I'm talking about when they're pulling into a shopping center or something. Highway was perhaps the wrong word, I'm talking more like a major road with stores on each side and a shoulder. There's no reason to make a right into a shopping center from a lane that goes 50 mph when there is a shoulder to make a right from that won't cause anyone to stop short. This goes hand in hand with lack of signals.

I've never seen ANYONE get a ticket for going in the shoulder to turn into a shopping center from a main road.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 08:30 AM)

No, they're assholes. You shouldn't be stopping up a 50 mph lane by making a right when there is a huge empty space next to you to turn from.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 23 2011, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 23 2011, 08:30 AM)

No, they're assholes. You shouldn't be stopping up a 50 mph lane by making a right when there is a huge empty space next to you to turn from.

It's still illegal, and your stance that these people should be willing to be cited simply to make your drive a few seconds shorter is rather selfish.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 23 2011, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 23 2011, 12:29 PM)

I'm talking about when they're pulling into a shopping center or something. Highway was perhaps the wrong word, I'm talking more like a major road with stores on each side and a shoulder. There's no reason to make a right into a shopping center from a lane that goes 50 mph when there is a shoulder to make a right from that won't cause anyone to stop short. This goes hand in hand with lack of signals.

I've never seen ANYONE get a ticket for going in the shoulder to turn into a shopping center from a main road.

turning OFF a main road using the shoulder is every bit as illegal as merging onto one using the shoulder. The shoulder is intended for emergencies only. If you turned into a parking lot the way you described on a road test, you'd fail automatically. Would things be more convenient if there were left and right-turn lanes for every driveway? sure, but the shoulder isn't an acceptable substitute for a right-turn lane.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 23 2011, 03:02 PM)
turning OFF a main road using the shoulder is every bit as illegal as merging onto one using the shoulder.  The shoulder is intended for emergencies only.  If you turned into a parking lot the way you described on a road test, you'd fail automatically.  Would things be more convenient if there were left and right-turn lanes for every driveway?  sure, but the shoulder isn't an acceptable substitute for a right-turn lane.

Agree 100% yes.gif

No one should ever feel compelled or obliged to drive on a shoulder or use it to make a right-hand turn, pass someone who's turning left, etc. As has been said, it's illegal. Shoulders are for emergency use. In my town, there are posted signs which state that shoulder driving is forbidden. dazed025.gif

Drivers simply have to deal with it. If someone in front of you is turning, just SLOW DOWN or STOP. Let him/her turn, and then proceed. It's the Law.

i was stuck behind someone today -- not sure if they were intoxicated, horrible at driving, or GrandDesigner attempting to make a left turn, but either way they're a shit driver. the road is a 2-lane highway (double yellow line, one lane in each direction) with lots of twists and turns, hills, really a fun road when there's no traffic!

I was behind an oooold pontiac grand am who was swerving and having trouble maintaining a speed. Already i was cautious and making sure to keep a little distance -- and then all of a sudden this idiot is completely in the other lane. not a careless veer, all four tires had completely crossed the double yellow. After about 10 seconds of this i gave a couple honks to catch his attention, and he slowly drifted back into the proper lane, and then before long he was in the shoulder on the right. thank god i only had to be behind him for about a mile and a half...who knows what kind of trouble he got in further up the road....

Edited by fledgehog