People who flat out drive like shit!

Tom Sawyer

This reminds me of a bit from George Carlin.

Have you ever noticed that anyone that drives slower than you is an asshole, and anyone driving faster than you is a f***ing maniac?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Nov 16 2011, 04:06 PM)
Those damned mopeds! I hate them. Get a real frickin' car and stop slowing up traffic, cycle-boy! Oh, you got a DUI? Then take the frickin' bus, rummy!

I've rarely seen mopeds. This kind of surprises me. What I see more often are the scooter-pseudo-motorcycle things that are kinda popular around here.

I can't stand drivers who tailgate me while I'm on a freaking bicycle. Am I in their way? No. I move as far to the right as possible because that's what you do when you're not allowed to ride on the sidewalk. I must say, it's just really unnerving to have a huge 4x4 truck on your tail when you're pedaling like the wind.

Also, drivers who don't give the right-of-way to pedestrians... what the heck is your problem? At least here, it's the law. Those crosswalks are there for a reason!

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 16 2011, 04:20 PM)
Oh, and not that they're all necessarily bad drivers, but I friggin' HATE Smart Cars.

There's a guy in my neighborhood who owns one, complete with the stupid little key on the hatchback that rotates when the car is in motion. He drives like a complete tool, running lights and cutting people off. Every time I see him, I think, "Buddy, all the aggressive driving in the world will not compensate for the fact that you are basically driving a Fisher Price car. It doesn't make you look cool; all it does is increase your chances of becoming road pizza when that sardine can of yours gets pancaked."

The good thing about smart cars is that when you get into an accident, you don't have to pay much for the funeral.

You've already got your coffin.

And those people who fly by in the HOV lane on the on ramp as driver only... there should be a scanner that detects there is only one occupant and a spike strip appears just as they merge and then a long steal arm sweeps them off and into the brush outside the shoulder!! Edited by Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Nov 15 2011, 10:12 PM)
people who don't use their turn signal...

As noted above, I'm a way better driver than some men, especially, my husband.

He is notorious for the no blinker thing. What kills me is when he gets irritated when he can't move over into another lane. "Hey genius, I bet if you turned your blinker on, people would know you wanted over."

A few weeks back, he was driving my car. He turned a corner and cut off another driver who, of course, honked their horn. The husband gets all defensive! So I informed him my 2009 Highlander was equipped with this new-fangled invention called a blinker which allows other drivers to know of your turning intent.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 16 2011, 02:04 PM)
Idiots who slow down when they're approaching the green light, as if they're expecting it to turn red before they get there.

I was guilty of this for years! But I had a good reason! I swear. Years ago I was in a horrible accident. I was going through a green light doing the speed limit and another driver sped through her red light, doing the speed limit. Was not pretty. So for a few years I could NOT bring myself to approach a green light without freaking out and slowing down to look both ways.

I'm better now though.

Edited by Janie

People who yield the right of way thinking that they're being nice. If you have it then proceed. It's against the law and dangerous. Also, you're not doing anyone any favors.

People who don't pass in the hammer lane. If you're not passing people then move over.

People who drive with their high beams on.

People who need three miles of clear traffic to make a left turn.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 16 2011, 05:04 PM)
Idiots who slow down when they're approaching the green light, as if they're expecting it to turn red before they get there. Well, duh, slow down enough and it WILL. The same people also optimistically speed up as they near the red light.

We have the countdowns now in much of my area, installed on the "Walk/Don't Walk" signals. People see they've got five seconds left until the light changes and floor it.

I used to drive a 12 ton truck, and sometimes slowing down before an intersection was a necessity.

As I approached an intersection, I either had to be going slow enough to stop no matter what, or fast enough to run the light no matter what. Anywhere in between was trouble. If the speed limit was 40, and 40 was too fast to be able to stop if the light changed, I had to slow down. Once I was within the last few truck lengths before the intersection, I was in the clear even if the light instantly turned yellow, assuming there was no car in front of me that could slam on the brakes.

I also had to slow down if there was any traffic in front of me. If a car could stop in 50 feet, but it would take me 100 feet to make the same stop, I had to slow down enough to open up that extra 50 feet.

Truck drivers can't assume the light will stay green when approaching an intersection, or that the car in front of them will stomp the gas to beat a yellow light.

When I'm driving a regular car, I'm more likely to step on the gas when approaching an intersection, because it only takes a few seconds for crossing traffic to trip my light yellow, and I'd rather see that in the rearview mirror than have to stop for it. smile.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Nov 16 2011, 06:23 PM)
People who yield the right of way thinking that they're being nice. If you have it then proceed. It's against the law and dangerous. Also, you're not doing anyone any favors.

YES! This!

One of my biggest pet peeves.

And seriously, how freaking hard is it to use your signal!?

ALSO.

I HATE when it's raining or snowing and the visibility is obviously poor, and people are out on the 65 mph expressway without their lights on switching from lane to lane without signals... UGH!

waffen093.gif Rubberneckers

waffen093.gif Brake tappers or anyone who keeps their foot on the brake at all times

waffen093.gif People who make an all-day affair out of turning a corner

Some of you guys are really acting like assholes. Acting like the speed limit is too slow for ya. I mean isn't it meant to be the maximum? If youre so late, im sorry. Not my fault. You should have left earlier. No employer would take you seriously if you said "Sorry Im late, I got stuck behind some douche following the speed limit..."

I was never able to drive the speed limit when I lived in Connecticut because everybody there drives like shit. 40mph limit meant 60-65 to them. 55 on the Merritt of course meant 80! And the amount of people traveling at 90-95 on the interstate always made wonder where the hell all the cops are.

When I drove to work every morning I would have quite a few miles to drive where the limit is 25mph. I would exceed that speed (40mph) as a courtesy to the aggressive drivers...and yet I STILL got passed (illegally at that) on that road! They would speed off at like 55. I wasn't really as angry as I was baffled...

Here, there are many differences.

In Kentucky, people are more laid back, not in such a rush all of the time.

Speed limits are relatively generous compared to the northeast. A lot of in-town limits are 45, some 55, few 35s....interstates and parkways are 70. People tend to follow these limits more closely than up north. I don't see anything wrong with that. But if you bring half the population of CT here to drive around, I'd bet there would be a lot more speeding tickets issued...

So far I've only encountered one moron here. We were driving down the Natcher parkway toward Bowling Green one day and cruising at 70 (the limit). This guy in one of those little "rat cars" comes up on the left and zooms on by, but then moves over in front of my car and slows down to like 60. I slow down, thinking maybe his transmission slipped or whatever, but he holds that speed. I decide, ok, I'll just go around him so he can drive slower. I get around him, get back up to my 70, and this guy comes around me AGAIN and does the same thing! This repeated like 4 times before I got pissed and sped off at about 80 for a few miles to get away from him.

I am pretty glad to be out of the big-city areas. I actually haven't been in a traffic jam since July driving through Louisville. I'm getting spoiled now laugh.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Nov 16 2011, 07:15 PM)

YES! This!

ALSO.

I HATE when it's raining or snowing and the visibility is obviously poor, and people are out on the 65 mph expressway without their lights on switching from lane to lane without signals... UGH!

You gettin any snow up there yet, Phil? bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Nov 16 2011, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Nov 16 2011, 07:15 PM)

YES! This!

ALSO.

You gettin any snow up there yet, Phil? bekloppt.gif

bekloppt.gif

Actually no. I like I've seen a few flakes, but besides that it's been one of the warmest Novembers I can remember.

Unfortunately that only makes for worse lake effect when it actually does get cold eh.gif It's gonna be a lonnnnnng winter..

Just the ones I can think of for now....

-People in front of me who get on the freeway at 45 MPH

-People who don't merge before their lane ends, but instead hug the line as it's connecting with my lane.

-snowbirds

-tailgaters who don't go around me even after I slow down

-anyone who doesn't turn right on red. the only places it's not allowed out here is on certain off-ramps.

Edited by yaoi_myantidrug

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Nov 16 2011, 07:50 PM)

So far I've only encountered one moron here. We were driving down the Natcher parkway toward Bowling Green one day and cruising at 70 (the limit). This guy in one of those little "rat cars" comes up on the left and zooms on by, but then moves over in front of my car and slows down to like 60. I slow down, thinking maybe his transmission slipped or whatever, but he holds that speed. I decide, ok, I'll just go around him so he can drive slower. I get around him, get back up to my 70, and this guy comes around me AGAIN and does the same thing! This repeated like 4 times before I got pissed and sped off at about 80 for a few miles to get away from him.

to all that tailgate me i let them get ahead of me then i tailgate them extremely close and i mean very close. i then proceed to put on my high beams. i also carry heat cause i'm a crazy mother f*cker. if they follow my ass they better be prepared for a shoot out. i also have a few rounds just in case it gets crazy. i also have a taser gun. i would use that first. they wish they never tailgated in the first place. the high beams are my present to them. plus i have a nissan titan truck to make things worse. let the good times roll

QUOTE (shail @ Nov 17 2011, 12:30 PM)
to all that tailgate me i let them get ahead of me then i tailgate them extremely close and i mean very close. i then proceed to put on my high beams. i also carry heat cause i'm a crazy mother f*cker. if they follow my ass they better be prepared for a shoot out. i also have a few rounds just in case it gets crazy. i also have a taser gun. i would use that first. they wish they never tailgated in the first place. the high beams are my present to them. plus i have a nissan titan truck to make things worse. let the good times roll

I hope you're not serious.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 17 2011, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (shail @ Nov 17 2011, 12:30 PM)

I hope you're not serious.

When I get a tailgater, I slow down. Don't matter if I'm in a hurry too. I do the speed limit, usually a tad over too, so there is absolutely no reason to ride my ass. General rule, if you're on my bumper, I reduce my speed by 5mph. You continue, get closer, put your high beams on, I go down another 5mph.