Geddy must be really bad live now!!

reani14

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Nov 19 2011, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 19 2011, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 17 2011, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Nov 17 2011, 08:59 AM)
He's a much more refined singer now even though he can't scream like he used to. To say he can't sing any more is a huge injustice to geddy, the band, management, and its fans... rage.gif

sorry man, i just don't see that being the case in any way. if you take that as an injustice to you, it's not meant that way. just a personal observation IMHO, and obviously i'm not the only one who thinks his voice has been going for awhile...

it's a fact.....not really an opinion. I get a kick out of the people who claim he is singing better than ever. yeah.....

I disagree that it's a FACT that Geddy can't sing anymore. It's a fact that he can't sing the way he used to, but that doesn't mean he can't still sing well. I wouldn't say that he is "better than ever," but I love his mature voice and know many people who share that opinion.

I think that a lot of long-time Rush fans have a negative opinion of his singing now more because he doesn't sing the way he used to than because he's not still a good singer. I think for the most part he's done a fine job of adjusting his singing style to his aging voice and that when he's on top of it he sounds great but that sometimes he gets into trouble because he gets caught up in the performance and forgets that he can't go for it the way he would have done it when he was younger and had more range. I can forgive that passion even at the price of the occasional wince.

(Ooh, deja-vu!)

I never said that "he CAN'T sing anymore".

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Nov 19 2011, 10:04 AM)
He's a much more refined singer now even though he can't scream like he used to. To say he can't sing any more is a huge injustice to geddy, the band, management, and its fans... rage.gif

sorry man, i just don't see that being the case in any way. if you take that as an injustice to you, it's not meant that way. just a personal observation IMHO, and obviously i'm not the only one who thinks his voice has been going for awhile...

it's a fact.....not really an opinion. I get a kick out of the people who claim he is singing better than ever. yeah.....

I disagree that it's a FACT that Geddy can't sing anymore. It's a fact that he can't sing the way he used to, but that doesn't mean he can't still sing well. I wouldn't say that he is "better than ever," but I love his mature voice and know many people who share that opinion.

I think that a lot of long-time Rush fans have a negative opinion of his singing now more because he doesn't sing the way he used to than because he's not still a good singer. I think for the most part he's done a fine job of adjusting his singing style to his aging voice and that when he's on top of it he sounds great but that sometimes he gets into trouble because he gets caught up in the performance and forgets that he can't go for it the way he would have done it when he was younger and had more range. I can forgive that passion even at the price of the occasional wince.

(Ooh, deja-vu!)

To me it's more than just adjusting the songs to a different key because he can't reach the higher notes - it's being plain old OFF-key, struggling and straining, not fully enunciating, etc. I appreciate the passion too, but the winces are perhaps more often for me than they are for you. Sometimes it's like sucking on a lemon.

Look....these days, over the length of a tour, he has okay nights and not-so-good nights. It seems the more days off he has between shows, the better he is.

He was supposed to have a long rest before the Cleveland show -- they built in a long break because they knew they'd be filming it -- but they had to reschedule a couple of shows and that break got taken away. So, the vocals we hear on the DVD are pretty good on some songs, and strained on others.

Big deal.

No, he can't sing as well as he did 30 years ago, but we can't expect him to. But he CAN still sing, and he can sing good enough that the band can still keep going. I say, give the guy a break.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 19 2011, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (Litehawk @ Nov 19 2011, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 19 2011, 11:42 AM)

Just because he can't sing like he used to means he's worse. Get your 'fact-opinion' logic straight.

I still think he can sing pretty good. Personally sometimes I wish he wouldn't warp some of the lines to the way he wants, but other times it's perfect. I think we can all agree his voice has CHANGED, but to say it's better or worse is opinion, because his voice is like an instrument in the band, and if a band member chooses to use a different instrument or effect, some people will like it, and some people won't.

I'm talking about regularly singing out of key and straining live. Listen to him 30 years ago, was he singing as bad? nope.....not even close.

30 years live he sounded like a dying animal

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 19 2011, 01:08 PM)

(Ooh, deja-vu!)

What were you referring to as a fact?

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Nov 19 2011, 11:48 AM)

(Ooh, deja-vu!)

That his voice is going, and he doesn't sing nearly as good live anymore.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 19 2011, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Nov 19 2011, 11:48 AM)

(Ooh, deja-vu!)

That his voice is going, and he doesn't sing nearly as good live anymore.

To me it's an indisputable fact. I mean, all one has to do is watch a tour from the 80's and then watch them on their last couple of DVD's, and it's pretty crystal clear that his singing has gone downhill. People are free to see it otherwise, to like his voice better now, to blissfully ignore the fact that his singing isn't there anywhere close to what it used to be, but that doesn't change anything from my point of view.

Wow, I usually never say anything is objective truth or fact, but in this case, I'm gonna have to agree. I guess if even one person disagrees it truly is subjective in the true definition of the terms, but man...

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Nov 18 2011, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Nov 17 2011, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Nov 17 2011, 11:11 PM)
I thought about making a thread in which all us tin-ears who love the way Geddy sings live in 2011 and thank the fortunes every day that Rush is still what they are could support each other in our sad delusions, but I know there's no way that the people who want the band to either retire or become a studio-only band would stand for it.

goodpost.gif

+1

The boys are going to give it their all until there is no more left!

If the Rolling Bones can still tour than the sky's the limit for RUSH!

Geddy and Alex could just retire and drink wine together for the rest of their lives.

They have it good. Luckily they still have the fire and passion to perform for us and themselves!

When they announce their final concert, I will be there no matter where it is.

trink39.gif

trink39.gif I'm with you people. No one is denying that Geddy's voice is not what it once was but as long as he can still bring it on 'Freewill' like on the dvd I say keep on 2.gif IN'!! 1022.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 20 2011, 01:14 AM)
I thought about making a thread in which all us tin-ears who love the way Geddy sings live in 2011 and thank the fortunes every day that Rush is still what they are could support each other in our sad delusions, but I know there's no way that the people who want the band to either retire or become a studio-only band would stand for it.

goodpost.gif

+1

Geddy and Alex could just retire and drink wine together for the rest of their lives.

They have it good. Luckily they still have the fire and passion to perform for us and themselves!

trink39.gif

trink39.gif I'm with you people. No one is denying that Geddy's voice is not what it once was but as long as he can still bring it on 'Freewill' like on the dvd I say keep on 2.gif IN'!! 1022.gif 653.gif

Yeah, but he CAN'T bring it on Freewill. ..thats the problem.

It sucks that he strains so much, cause he still plays like a maniac. But a lot of the classic tunes just suffer so much cause he can't hit the highs like he used too.

I think it all comes down to, if people expect to hear what they could do 20-30 years ago exactly, they will be majorly disappointed. But if you can live with what they can and still enjoy doing with what I believe to be sincerity, its not only fantastic for us and them, but still far above and beyond what other bands of their era can do. Live and on record...

user posted image

I think that his voice was great during the 80s. I remember people complaining back then that he was taking Temples/Hemispheres prelude/Free Will down in sections. Edited by micgtr71

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 20 2011, 01:02 AM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 20 2011, 01:14 AM)

goodpost.gif

+1

trink39.gif

Yeah, but he CAN'T bring it on Freewill. ..thats the problem.

It sucks that he strains so much, cause he still plays like a maniac. But a lot of the classic tunes just suffer so much cause he can't hit the highs like he used too.

Not too many recent versions of Freewill where he is "bringin' it".....

OK guys.

I have never seen Rush live (sniffle sniffle lol), but I have seen my other fave band, Cheap Trick, 7 times. And this argument applies to many older bands.

Seeing Trick, I know Robin Zander isn't going to sound the way he did on Live At Budokan. I've winced at shows, but you have to expect it. He's older, voices age. Singers don't sound the same forever.

Geddy is still a great singer, and he IS the voice of Rush. If you don't like it, then that's your opinion. But for gods sake, don't come onto a RUSH MESSAGEBOARD and crap all over the man! All you people trying to convince me geddy can't sing at all, well, you're wasting a lot of people's time. we love him, and will wince every now and then if it means watching freakin' Rush grace the stage.

If you dont like his voice, don't see the show. don't listen to the music. and don't give me crap for saying I like his voice.

what do you expect from someone who's been screeching out rock songs since the 60's? I'd be alarmed if he still sounded the way he did at 20.

QUOTE (hobo73 @ Nov 20 2011, 11:46 PM)
OK guys.

I have never seen Rush live (sniffle sniffle lol), but I have seen my other fave band, Cheap Trick, 7 times. And this argument applies to many older bands.
Seeing Trick, I know Robin Zander isn't going to sound the way he did on Live At Budokan. I've winced at shows, but you have to expect it. He's older, voices age. Singers don't sound the same forever.

Usually the reason I won't go see an older, aging act is when there is some aspect (or aspects) where they just don't have it anymore. It could be that their set lists are watered down with tons of new material from long after a band stopped being any good, or it's because the guys just simply can't play that well anymore (NOT the case with Rush), or need to be supported by 18 supplemental musicians just to get through a show. Usually, however, it's because the lead singer's voice hasn't aged well and they just can't cut it anymore. The most egregious example I can think of is the disastrous performance by The Who at the Superbowl a couple of years back. Yikes!

So, we're not quite at THAT level with Geddy, but the question definitely arises for me regularly - at what point does his voice deteriorate to the degree that I either stop going to see them because it's too heartbreaking to hear him struggling so much, and/or should they just hang it up, because if they can't perform at a certain level, Rush being the consummate performers that they are, it's perhaps time to let it go. I think we're at that point where that needs to be seriously questioned, although obviously not by you or those who would see them no matter what, even if Geddy was doing the lyrics in sign language.

It all depends on what it means to you and what you're willing to sacrifice to see them. For some the decision is easier than others.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2011, 07:43 AM)
OK guys.

Usually the reason I won't go see an older, aging act is when there is some aspect (or aspects) where they just don't have it anymore. It could be that their set lists are watered down with tons of new material from long after a band stopped being any good, or it's because the guys just simply can't play that well anymore (NOT the case with Rush), or need to be supported by 18 supplemental musicians just to get through a show. Usually, however, it's because the lead singer's voice hasn't aged well and they just can't cut it anymore. The most egregious example I can think of is the disastrous performance by The Who at the Superbowl a couple of years back. Yikes!

So, we're not quite at THAT level with Geddy, but the question definitely arises for me regularly - at what point does his voice deteriorate to the degree that I either stop going to see them because it's too heartbreaking to hear him struggling so much, and/or should they just hang it up, because if they can't perform at a certain level, Rush being the consummate performers that they are, it's perhaps time to let it go. I think we're at that point where that needs to be seriously questioned, although obviously not by you or those who would see them no matter what, even if Geddy was doing the lyrics in sign language.

It all depends on what it means to you and what you're willing to sacrifice to see them. For some the decision is easier than others.

As bad as I think he sounds now, I dont really think they would stop touring just because of his voice. It's obvious that people at the shows dont even care, they are just happy to be seeing Rush, knowing they likely wont be around for too much longer.

I cant even watch any of their recent live DVDs, its really painful to listen to him, but when Im there in person I dont care how bad he sounds, so Ill keep handing my money over whenever they tour. Ive said before I would go see them live even if he lip synched the entire show, and Im not kidding.

Rush is still touring because thats where they make the bulk of their money, and I think they still like the writing process, so they are just stock piling cash to live out their remaining years and have as much possible to pass down to their kids.

They'll stop when either one gets sick and passes away, or one doesnt want to do it anymore, or if they just decide its the right time to hang it up. I really dont think they would just stop due to Geddy's voice. I think there would have to be other reasons. I think this because with how bad his voice is now, they are still touring. If he was worried about how bad he sounded, he would have stopped a long time ago. He hasnt sounded very good live in many years in my opinion.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Nov 21 2011, 02:09 AM)
goodpost.gif  For the record, I think Robin is one of the few singers from that era that still sounds as great as he did back then. trink39.gif

thank you! =D

yes, he still has a voice many would kill to have. He has his "ouch" moments, but overall.....yeah, he's pretty good. He can still give new singers a run for their money! lol. and yes, I would gladly wait 10 hours in 95 degree heat-AGAIN- to see my Trick perform again. I would gladly pay the money and make the trip. They can sing the phone book, and I'd still go. but then I'm a crazy fan hahaha. wink.gif

rock on!!! 1022.gif

Edited by hobo73

QUOTE (trenken @ Nov 21 2011, 09:30 AM)
OK guys.

As bad as I think he sounds now, I dont really think they would stop touring just because of his voice. It's obvious that people at the shows dont even care, they are just happy to be seeing Rush, knowing they likely wont be around for too much longer.

I cant even watch any of their recent live DVDs, its really painful to listen to him, but when Im there in person I dont care how bad he sounds, so Ill keep handing my money over whenever they tour. Ive said before I would go see them live even if he lip synched the entire show, and Im not kidding.

Rush is still touring because thats where they make the bulk of their money, and I think they still like the writing process, so they are just stock piling cash to live out their remaining years and have as much possible to pass down to their kids.

They'll stop when either one gets sick and passes away, or one doesnt want to do it anymore, or if they just decide its the right time to hang it up. I really dont think they would just stop due to Geddy's voice. I think there would have to be other reasons. I think this because with how bad his voice is now, they are still touring. If he was worried about how bad he sounded, he would have stopped a long time ago. He hasnt sounded very good live in many years in my opinion.

That's cool, and you're entitled. Obviously they wouldn't keep touring if people didn't keep buying tickets, so a lot of people don't mind. I do. I'd hate to see them keep touring if his voice continues to deteriorate, as it wouldn't reflect well on a band that has worked so hard to maintain such a high standard. Then again, their last few albums haven't been up to their old standards, so the whole quitting while you're ahead concept has already kind of passed them by.

Thankfully, regardless of any of that, they've made a shitload of great music. If the lion's share of it is from 1974-1987, that's just the way it is.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2011, 08:45 PM)
OK guys.

That's cool, and you're entitled. Obviously they wouldn't keep touring if people didn't keep buying tickets, so a lot of people don't mind. I do. I'd hate to see them keep touring if his voice continues to deteriorate, as it wouldn't reflect well on a band that has worked so hard to maintain such a high standard. Then again, their last few albums haven't been up to their old standards, so the whole quitting while you're ahead concept has already kind of passed them by.

Thankfully, regardless of any of that, they've made a shitload of great music. If the lion's share of it is from 1974-1987, that's just the way it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/txpoolboy/slide_2081_27222_large.jpg

"This just in.. RUSH has been declared overdone. TRF will be closing shortly. And that's the way it is."

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 21 2011, 09:04 PM)
OK guys.

"This just in.. RUSH has been declared overdone. TRF will be closing shortly. And that's the way it is."

This just in... Geddys voice has gone over the falls. "And thats the way the cookie crumbles..."http://i2.listal.com/image/1184253/500full.jpg

Edited by lerxt1990

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 21 2011, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 21 2011, 09:04 PM)
OK guys.

This just in... Geddys voice has gone over the falls. "And thats the way the cookie crumbles..."http://i2.listal.com/image/1184253/500full.jpg

laugh.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 14 2011, 06:00 PM)
ged. roger. robert. and so forth...

age.
kills.
vocal chords.

This is why Pavarotti was so speciaL Most opera singers have a career of some 10 years or so.

I'm just happy that Ged still makes an effort to do his best live. His bass playing aint what it used to be either. What do you expect? I'm sure thier wives could tell you. confused13.gif