Time Machine Blu Ray

Quoboy

Posted this question in another thread, but does anyone else notice blue-spotting, seemingly pasted onto where there seems to be a lot of glare? I love the performance but those blue spots are driving me crazy! It's really bad at some points, has no one else noticed this or did I get a bad blu-ray copy? I don't mean blue glare from lights, these blue spots seem to be edited in, may be wrong though. Either way they're a nuisance to me.

i re ordred from worst buy too, even paid extra 10 bucks for quicker delivery, when i seen no email that it was shipped. I panicked and went to worst buy and bought a copy and went back and canceled my order . solves that. I will never do that again...

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Nov 9 2011, 02:58 PM)
Posted this question in another thread, but does anyone else notice blue-spotting, seemingly pasted onto where there seems to be a lot of glare?

I've seen this in many concert DVD's, not just Rush ones. Snakes and Arrows live had the same problem. It must be that type of light which shows bad on film because this isn't the first live concert DVD I've seen this happen to.

QUOTE (Drewski @ Nov 9 2011, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Nov 9 2011, 02:58 PM)
Posted this question in another thread, but does anyone else notice blue-spotting, seemingly pasted onto where there seems to be a lot of glare?

I've seen this in many concert DVD's, not just Rush ones. Snakes and Arrows live had the same problem. It must be that type of light which shows bad on film because this isn't the first live concert DVD I've seen this happen to.

What you're seeing there is a common side effect of digital video. Many digital video cameras, both standard def and hi def, have a problem processing blue light, either the colored beams of light themselves or reflections of blue light on objects, like on Neil's kit or the time machine props behind Ged and Alex. Those blues will look weird, like someone took a paint brush and painted solid royal blue where gradient blue light should be.

It's kind of annoying, and it's weird that they haven't figured out a way to make these expensive cameras process blue better. The 10-year old Sony DVCAM I use for work, a professional camera, has had this problem since I started using it.

Just a heads up.. I was disgusted with the audio/ video sync on this Bluray. Just out of curiosity I turned up the volume on my TV (which is connected by hdmi) and it was in perfect time. I turned up the tv and receiver at the same time and it sounded like the grateful dead...

My receiver is connected to the Bluray player by optical connection. Something about this particular video exacerbates the usual minimal delay between these two source connections.

Time to buy an HDMI receiver, but the editors were not huffing paint.

Cheers.

QUOTE (napoleonj @ Nov 9 2011, 10:09 PM)
Just a heads up.. I was disgusted with the audio/ video sync on this Bluray. Just out of curiosity I turned up the volume on my TV (which is connected by hdmi) and it was in perfect time. I turned up the tv and receiver at the same time and it sounded like the grateful dead...

My receiver is connected to the Bluray player by optical connection. Something about this particular video exacerbates the usual minimal delay between these two source connections.

Cheers.

My Blu-ray player is connected via HDMI to the receiver, which is connected via HDMI to the HDTV. Most of the video and audio is in sync, with only some isolated shots of Neil (that I've noticed so far) being out of sync.

As I said in another thread, if the whole video were out of sync, or at least a big section of it, it might be more easily explained. Isolated shots of the drummer is hard to explain.

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Nov 9 2011, 02:37 AM)
QUOTE (rushman321 @ Nov 9 2011, 01:09 AM)
Awesome sound and video. Has anyone noticed a split second delay between video and sound?

Yep, especially on a couple of the overhead shots of Neil. Also, when Geddy yelps at the beginning of Leave That Thing Alone, I heard the sound and then his mouth moved. It's odd, because the next angle will be bang on time confused13.gif

Yes....i did. Overall this Bluray is decent. I cant get over how bad the vocals are in spots......especially the first few songs.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 9 2011, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (napoleonj @ Nov 9 2011, 10:09 PM)

Cheers.

My Blu-ray player is connected via HDMI to the receiver, which is connected via HDMI to the HDTV. Most of the video and audio is in sync, with only some isolated shots of Neil (that I've noticed so far) being out of sync.

As I said in another thread, if the whole video were out of sync, or at least a big section of it, it might be more easily explained. Isolated shots of the drummer is hard to explain.

Gotcha. So I'm assuming if you turned up the audio

on your tv, the receiver audio is identical..

I guess once I solve my bigger issue I can see the isolated shots your referring to.

Really strange as I don't have this big of an issue with any other Bluray in my collection.

I just finished watching the entire show. I have to bump the score I gave it to a 9.5. The editing is phenomenal, the boys sound great and look like they're having a great time and the solos/endings they added/changed which they didn't play in Montreal and ACC are very welcome and sound awesome. The bass is low, but that can be fixed by turning some knobs and there is one camera angle that tends to be a bit soft, but ultimately negligible in comparison to the rest of the recording...and I haven't looked at the special features yet.

Well I, too, pre-ordered from Best Buy. Tuesday night I got an email saying it was backordered and would be 2 weeks. F**K that, says I and called their Customer Service number. I told the guy that I want to pick my copy up at our local store, no ifs ands or buts. So I'm off to get it tomorrow (first day I'm able). The last Harry Potter DVD comes out tomorrow so --- we'll be doing a coin toss to see which one we watch Friday night and which one Saturday wink.gif

Finally got to listen to the Blu-Ray on my surround system last night accompanied by new member here Sin City.

I was expecting to come here and "bury Caesar, not to praise him" but I think I quite enjoyed the package. Sure there are minor issues with the picture occasionally, some bizarre edits and certainly, sonically, it's not a total success (Lee's bass gets lost sometimes) but overall the song selection, the performance and the sheer chutzpah of the show make this a more enjoyable package than the previous Blu-Rays.

I wasn't able to turn it up full blast, the missus was ensconced upstairs with Eddie Izzard and a bottle of wine (ooer!) so this was more of a critical listen than a rocking-out booze-fuelled whoop-it-up but I quickly got into concert mode and certainly the directors succeed in making you feel that you are there in a way that I've never felt on a Rush concert vid before. Stick It Out and Faithless are personal low points but everything else seems to feel like it belongs so well done to the band for striking the right balance.

High points: The Camera Eye, a soaring triumph.

Low Points: Stick It Out

Guilty Pleasure: Presto

Performance: 8.5/10

Picture: 8/10

Sound: 7/10

Overall: 8/10

Edited by Tony R

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 12 2011, 07:33 AM)
Finally got to listen to the Blu-Ray on my surround system last night accompanied by new member here Sin City.
I was expecting to come here and "bury Caesar, not to praise him" but I think I quite enjoyed the package. Sure there are minor issues with the picture occasionally, some bizarre edits and certainly, sonically, it's not a total success (Lee's bass gets lost sometimes) but overall the song selection, the performance and the sheer chutzpah of the show make this a more enjoyable package than the previous Blu-Rays.
I wasn't able to turn it up full blast, the missus was ensconced upstairs with Eddie Izzard and a bottle of wine (ooer!) so this was more of a critical listen than a rocking-out booze-fuelled whoop-it-up but I quickly got into concert mode and certainly the directors succeed in making you feel that you are there in a way that I've never felt on a Rush concert vid before. Stick It Out and Faithless are personal low points but everything else seems to feel like it belongs so well done to the band for striking the right balance.
High points: The Camera Eye, a soaring triumph.
Low Points: Stick It Out
Guilty Pleasure: Presto

Performance: 8.5/10
Picture: 8/10
Sound: 7/10

Overall: 8/10

I pretty much agree with all that, except that I liked "Stick It Out" a little more than you, which surprised me. "Faithless" is one I never thought they'd do live, and now I know why -- despite being a pretty good drum song, I thought it just dragged, especially in that spot in the set list.