Food quirks

Janie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 10 2011, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 9 2011, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 9 2011, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Nov 9 2011, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 9 2011, 10:40 AM)
*I love cornbread and milk together, but the cornbread must be hot and the milk very cold.

I always thought that was just a southern thing, my grandma was from Louisiana and that's how she'd eat it too.

Wait. I don't get this. You mean together together. Like, in a bowl? A bowl of milk and cornbread??

I've seen it done, and it has just got to be nasty. (But then I am not a cornbread fan generally. If it's a spicy/savory cornbread, as opposed to the sweet kind most Southerners favor, I like it fine. But then the spicy kind would really not go well with milk at all).

Mmmmm, gimme some of that soggy milk-soaked bread. Just no.

Nope, it doesn't just have to be nasty. biggrin.gif

I don't make sweet cornbread. I make buttermilk cornbread that is light and fluffy and has a golden crust and not one speck of sugar in it.

And yes, Janie, crumbled up in a bowl, with the milk poured over.

Y'all just go ahead and think I'm weird. It's delicious and I've loved it since I was just a wee little Bama gal. smile.gif

I love cornbread but I'd rather have it sitting outside the milk. However, it actually doesn't sound weird to me especially since folks dunk cookies and doughnuts.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 9 2011, 08:06 PM)
*I love cornbread and milk together, but the cornbread must be hot and the milk very cold.

I always thought that was just a southern thing, my grandma was from Louisiana and that's how she'd eat it too.

Wait. I don't get this. You mean together together. Like, in a bowl? A bowl of milk and cornbread??

I've seen it done, and it has just got to be nasty. (But then I am not a cornbread fan generally. If it's a spicy/savory cornbread, as opposed to the sweet kind most Southerners favor, I like it fine. But then the spicy kind would really not go well with milk at all).

I don't make sweet cornbread. I make buttermilk cornbread that is light and fluffy and has a golden crust and not one speck of sugar in it.

Y'all just go ahead and think I'm weird. It's delicious and I've loved it since I was just a wee little Bama gal. smile.gif

Ok, see, now I have to try this. I love cornbread and I like milk so, can't see why I wouldn't like this. Am I pouring the milk in the bowl first and then crumbling the cornbread in tiny pieces all over?? Is there supposed to be a lot of milk or just a little?

I'm a Washington girl so maybe that's why I've never ever heard of doing this. See, where I'm from, you take your cornbread, cut it in half, slather too much butter on it and drown it in honey. Also, cornbread round these parts is only served alongside stew or chili.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Nov 9 2011, 11:11 PM)
I don't really have any quirks, except for drinks.

I cannot and will not drink anything that is really hot or really cold. Everything I drink must be room temperature. When I make tea, I pour in boiling water to the halfway point, then mix in cold water. If I drink bottled water, it's never refrigerated.

Milk is the only exception, for obvious reasons.

^This. I also can't drink really hot or cold drinks - it sets my teeth right on edge.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Nov 10 2011, 07:08 PM)

I cannot and will not drink anything that is really hot or really cold. Everything I drink must be room temperature. When I make tea, I pour in boiling water to the halfway point, then mix in cold water. If I drink bottled water, it's never refrigerated.

^This. I also can't drink really hot or cold drinks - it sets my teeth right on edge.

Beer?! Beer doesn't HAVE TO be cold for me to drink it; it's just much better if it is.

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 10 2011, 12:53 PM)

Beer?! Beer doesn't HAVE TO be cold for me to drink it; it's just much better if it is.

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

I'm too light-weight, I think. That's my problem.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Nov 10 2011, 10:00 PM)

Surely you can have A beer. Everyone can use a cold one. yes.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 10 2011, 01:05 PM)

Surely you can have A beer. Everyone can use a cold one. yes.gif trink38.gif trink39.gif

Okay, one beer. trink38.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Nov 10 2011, 10:43 PM)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Nov 10 2011, 06:08 AM)

I do not ever put ice in any drinks. When we eat out, I always request "no ice".

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 10 2011, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Nov 10 2011, 06:08 AM)

I do not ever put ice in any drinks. When we eat out, I always request "no ice".

Oh gawd.., ice..! *shudder!*

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 10 2011, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 9 2011, 08:06 PM)

Ok, see, now I have to try this. I love cornbread and I like milk so, can't see why I wouldn't like this. Am I pouring the milk in the bowl first and then crumbling the cornbread in tiny pieces all over?? Is there supposed to be a lot of milk or just a little?

I'm a Washington girl so maybe that's why I've never ever heard of doing this. See, where I'm from, you take your cornbread, cut it in half, slather too much butter on it and drown it in honey. Also, cornbread round these parts is only served alongside stew or chili.

I crumble the bread into a bowl, as if I was going to put chili or stew or something on it (which is also good)...then I pour milk as if I were eating cereal. You know, how we don't want a lot left over? It soaks into the bread and it's sooooo good. And I have to emphasize that the bread must be hot and the milk cold - the contrast is key.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 9 2011, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 9 2011, 12:06 PM)
Cheese on bottom bun, then patty, then pickles, then lettuce, then mustard and ketchup. NEVER put cheese near the pickles, because the pickle juice makes the cheese weird.

What are you, Spongebob? laugh.gif

Well... no. unsure.gif But, I would put together one hell of a Crabby Patty, wouldn't I? laugh.gif

http://thefamilyjules.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SpongeBob-SquarePants-p40.jpg

One Krabby Patty coming up! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Khan @ Nov 10 2011, 11:48 AM)
French fries have to be exactly perpendicular to the front of my mouth when I bite them...can't enter from the sides.

I once knew someone who picked up each fry with both hands and ate only the middles out. That person then threw the french fry ends away. Weird.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Nov 10 2011, 08:43 AM)

Peer pressure. It's not just for school kids anymore. yes.gif

I Must put the Cream and Suger in my cup before i pour the coffee .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 10 2011, 01:16 PM)
I Must put the Cream and Suger in my cup before i pour the coffee .

I have to stir it. Some people don't.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 11 2011, 02:57 AM)

Yes. And as I always tell my drinkmates who I con into coming out for "a" beer: "You DO know that there's no such thing as ONE beer, right?!" biggrin.gif

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 11 2011, 01:51 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 11 2011, 02:57 AM)

Yes. And as I always tell my drinkmates who I con into coming out for "a" beer: "You DO know that there's no such thing as ONE beer, right?!" biggrin.gif

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Nov 10 2011, 11:34 PM)
I have to drink water with copious amounts of ice in it. Mmmm-mmmm.

You CANNOT be serious! OMG!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 11 2011, 08:35 AM)

I'd rather have too much ice in drinks. But if it's big chunky full-on ice cubes, then I need a straw. I prefer crushed up ice. When it's crushed up, no straw because I like to chew the crushed ice.

Even though I like chewing ice, I cannot bite into ice cream. Some people can do this. I can't. Gotta lick ice cream. If I bite into ice cream, it's like it makes my teeth hurt.

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 11 2011, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Nov 11 2011, 08:35 AM)

I'd rather have too much ice in drinks. But if it's big chunky full-on ice cubes, then I need a straw. I prefer crushed up ice. When it's crushed up, no straw because I like to chew the crushed ice.

Even though I like chewing ice, I cannot bite into ice cream. Some people can do this. I can't. Gotta lick ice cream. If I bite into ice cream, it's like it makes my teeth hurt.

I can put a bite of ice cream in my mouth and let it melt, but chewing it or taking a bite from an ice cream cone - no.

I also like my ice cream on the melty side. I'll put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up.