"The Thread" that's right THE thread!

treeduck

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this? A Treeduck thread without a pole, I must say you're getting sloppy. tongue.gif

I also thought this thread was going to be about the under appreciated word known as "the".

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 5 2011, 03:44 PM)
I thought this thread was going to be about the word "the."

Well it was going to be the JANIE thread but I thought I'd keep my sexual feelings for you under wraps for now... tongue.gif moon.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 5 2011, 03:55 PM)
What is this? A Treeduck thread without a pole, I must say you're getting sloppy. tongue.gif

I also thought this thread was going to be about the under appreciated word known as "the".

1287.gif

QUOTE (hunter @ Nov 5 2011, 05:00 PM)
But,.. but what about the other thread? You know the one I mean. unsure.gif

It's not got enough sexuality in it that this thread has and the other quadrillion good things that a top thread has...

wink.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 5 2011, 04:59 PM)
This thread is festooned with awesome and the power of apples!!! And it is so spacious! Have you had the painters in?

Aye...

But no Pete, it just formed itself like this! I tell you it;s a miracle of thread creation, the universal architects must have had a hand in making this one...

cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 5 2011, 05:39 PM)

1287.gif

I just realized I misspelled "poll". I have tainted the awesomeness in this thread.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 5 2011, 05:12 PM)

1287.gif

I just realized I misspelled "poll". I have tainted the awesomeness in this thread.

I think you must have been thinking about pole dancers again...

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 5 2011, 06:41 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 5 2011, 05:12 PM)

1287.gif

I think you must have been thinking about pole dancers again...

ohmy.gif

GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 5 2011, 02:33 PM)

Well it was going to be the JANIE thread but I thought I'd keep my sexual feelings for you under wraps for now... tongue.gif moon.gif wink.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 5 2011, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 5 2011, 02:33 PM)

laugh.gif

wink.gif

The definite article in English is the, denoting person(s) or thing(s) already mentioned, under discussion, implied, or familiar. It is often used as the very first part of a noun phrase.

The article the is used with singular count nouns (the car) and with singular uncountable nouns (the coffee) and plural nouns (the cars) when both the speaker and hearer would know the identity of the thing or idea already.

However, in English, unlike in some other languages such as French, the definite article is omitted before familiar but intangible concepts such as "happiness": Happiness is contagious is correct, whereas *the happiness is contagious is not, unless a very specific example of happiness is referred to. the is also omitted when the noun refers to a generic mass object (Coffee grows in Colombia) or to a generic collection of countable objects (Cars have accelerators).

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Edited by Workaholic Man

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Nov 5 2011, 08:30 PM)

The definite article in English is the, denoting person(s) or thing(s) already mentioned, under discussion, implied, or familiar. It is often used as the very first part of a noun phrase.

The article the is used with singular count nouns (the car) and with singular uncountable nouns (the coffee) and plural nouns (the cars) when both the speaker and hearer would know the identity of the thing or idea already.

However, in English, unlike in some other languages such as French, the definite article is omitted before familiar but intangible concepts such as "happiness": Happiness is contagious is correct, whereas *the happiness is contagious is not, unless a very specific example of happiness is referred to. the is also omitted when the noun refers to a generic mass object (Coffee grows in Colombia) or to a generic collection of countable objects (Cars have accelerators).

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

biggrin.gif