Rush mention in Ace Frehley book 'No Regrets'

RushFanForever

Former Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley's book 'No Regrets' has come out today.

Rush gets a mention in the book on page 188:

'I have so many road stories, but one that always comes to mind is the tour we did in the summer of 1975 with Rush opening for us. I always liked Rush and still do. After a few weeks on tour I started to get to know the guys in the band, and their funny tour manager, Howie. One thing lead to another and before long Peter and I were getting visits from the Rush boys. It usually turned into late evenings filled with beer and grass and whatever else was around. Alex Lifeson, the band's guitarist, used to do this hysterical routine with a large paper laundry bag. He'd draw a ridiculous giant face on the bag with a black marker and put it over his head with a couple of holes poked in it so he could see and breathe. Everyone in the room at this point was either drunk or stoned, but usually a little of both. Anyway, Alex would go into this routine with the bag over his head and while smoking a joint out of his eye he put everyone into total hysterics. He really milked the routine until everyone was grasping for air!'

There's also a photo of the above in the book as well.

Geddy Lee's brother Allan Weinrib also gets a mention in the book for producing the video for 'Rock Soldiers' by 'Frehley's Comet'.

Edited by RushFanForever

Pretty cool -- after seeing the Rush doc and now reading this it seems the boys in both bands liked each other a lot and tons of fun were had by both and positive memories linger to this day.

I asked my wife to buy this for me for Christmas, I have been interested in what Ace had to say. Hopefully it will be in my stocking! cool.gif

I read about the shaving cream incident where KISS put shaving cream on Rush and their stage gear on the last night of the tour.

However, I heard that Rush members put marbles on the stage floor during KISS' show so they started tripping on the marbles with the platform shoes. Not sure if this is true, but it would have been quite funny.

I love both bands...glad to hear that they all seem to respect each other as bands and people, even though they are very different. It sounds like they all had great times while touring together.

Think about it...RUSH and KISS are two bands that started off around the same time. Their debut albums were both released just two weeks apart in 1974. They've both had long, legendary careers, both are currently working on new albums and still putting on great shows, and hell, both are still being wrongfully left out of the RRHOF.

I think I'll download it to my phone. I did that with sammy's book "red" and it's actually a nice way to read books.

Thanks for letting us know about the release! Ace was always my kiss favorite. He seems to really love music and his style is awesum in my opinion...:

I just went to see Ace last Wed.

He had to restart 2 songs because he f-ed up

He sang the same verse for an Entire song

He fell off the stage

Sober My ASS

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 1 2011, 01:23 PM)
He fell off the stage
Sober My ASS

Awesome! was it on the song Rip It OUT....?

Ace really had the best solo album of the 4 back in 1978.....

QUOTE (druid13 @ Nov 1 2011, 01:55 PM)

That album is great, Paul's as well. The other 2 ? 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 1 2011, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Nov 1 2011, 01:55 PM)

That album is great, Paul's as well. The other 2 ? 062802puke_prv.gif

Not a fan of Living In Sin at the Holiday Inn , eh? laugh.gif

I still have Gene's album somewhere around here. The demonic laughter at the beginning of Radioactive scared the crap out of me when I first heard it. unsure.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 1 2011, 01:23 PM)
He fell off the stage
Sober My ASS

I saw Ace last week as well. He seemed pretty good to me! Amazing show. My ears rang for three days. laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 1 2011, 12:23 PM)
He fell off the stage
Sober My ASS

NO CHANCE he is sober... laugh.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 2 2011, 05:55 PM)
He fell off the stage
Sober My ASS

Ace appeared on VH1's That Metal Show recently. Check out the bit from 7:30 to 7:45 here.

Looks like a good read...gonna have to pick that one up.

Sounds like the 70's were definite good times for those dudes!!

Rock/party on..every night!

Chicks-booze-coke-smoke..like its goin' outta style! yes.gif

trink39.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif

My wife's first cousin was Ace's guitar tech a few years back (he has been with Collective Soul for the past few years). He claims that Ace would be totally cool one day and a total jerk the next.

One story he told us was one night Ace came up to him and asked him what he did when he got his guitar ready. He told Ace that he would go through a short chord progression and then give it a good power chord crunch. Ace told him something along the lines of 'You turn it on, strum it once and put it down. They are here to see me, not you', and walked away.

In case you are interested, here is a clip of him filling in on stage with Collective Soul doing 'Shine'. It's pretty bad audio but he does a good job on the solo from 2:50-3:25.

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Nov 2 2011, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Nov 2 2011, 05:55 PM)
He fell off the stage
Sober My ASS

Ace appeared on VH1's That Metal Show recently. Check out the bit from 7:30 to 7:45 here.

Of course he says he's sober....just like Mustaine claims to be (and definitely isn't).