Married With Friends Of Opposite Sex

Tick

Do you think its a good idea for a married man or woman to be close friends with members of the opposite sex?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think its a good idea for a married man or woman to be close friends with members of the opposite sex?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Oct 19 2011, 06:09 PM)
And yet again, tick refers to the younger = invalid opinion argument

It also doesn't help that you made a thread mocking this one. That shows a great level of maturity...

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 20 2011, 03:00 PM)

It also doesn't help that you made a thread mocking this one. That shows a great level of maturity...

goodpost.gif

If there is a skewed opinion because of youth, there is an equal amount of skew when it comes to old people that have been burned and therefore think they know everything about how everyone acts in all situations.

There might be some youth here who are too inexperienced to have a perfect grasp of some things, but there are some old people here that are too jaded to realize that the world doesn't necessarily work the way they think it does.

It also makes him look like a prick.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 20 2011, 03:09 PM)

A young Prick

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 20 2011, 03:10 PM)

A young Prick

A pricklette.

*snort*

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 20 2011, 03:08 PM)
If there is a skewed opinion because of youth, there is an equal amount of skew when it comes to old people that have been burned and therefore think they know everything about how everyone acts in all situations.

There might be some youth here who are too inexperienced to have a perfect grasp of some things, but there are some old people here that are too jaded to realize that the world doesn't necessarily work the way they think it does.

Sure...mileage may vary. But in general, I'm going to heed advise from someone who is in their 40s well before I do from someone who has never had to make a mortgage payment, had a youngster depend on them for their very existence, or had a job that doesn't require a name tag or paper hat. wink.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 20 2011, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 20 2011, 03:10 PM)

A young Prick

A pricklette.

*snort*

laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 20 2011, 04:08 PM)

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 20 2011, 03:15 PM)

Sure...mileage may vary. But in general, I'm going to heed advise from someone who is in their 40s well before I do from someone who has never had to make a mortgage payment, had a youngster depend on them for their very existence, or had a job that doesn't require a name tag or paper hat. wink.gif

Damn straight

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 20 2011, 04:22 PM)

Well said.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 20 2011, 02:15 PM)

And what about the 22 year-old guy that made his first million at age 20, owns a house and lives responsibly?

The entire point I've been trying to make here for the past two days is that you can't generalize. It's insulting. Not every 20-something is an irresponsible lout who has never made a mortgage payment (an overrated measure these days, but that's another thread) is kidless (not sure why that's a negative) or works fast food.

Experience doesn't automatically lead to wisdom and inexperience doesn't ensure stupidity. I don't need to try heroin to know that it's bad for me.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 20 2011, 04:30 PM)

And what about the 22 year-old guy that made his first million at age 20, owns a house and lives responsibly?

The entire point I've been trying to make here for the past two days is that you can't generalize. It's insulting. Not every 20-something is an irresponsible lout who has never made a mortgage payment (an overrated measure these days, but that's another thread) is kidless (not sure why that's a negative) or works fast food.

Experience doesn't automatically lead to wisdom and inexperience doesn't ensure stupidity. I don't need to try heroin to know that it's bad for me.

Another goodpost.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Oct 20 2011, 01:00 PM)

About as much maturity as being suspicious if your wife has male friends

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 20 2011, 04:29 PM)

Well said.

I obviously made a (double) post in the wrong place and seeing as how there's no delete post function had to do the second best thing. Although, I suppose if I were older I wouldn't have made such a blunder, right?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 20 2011, 03:30 PM)

What does this mean?

Sure...mileage may vary.  But in general

Sure there are exceptions to every rule. But someone who is 22 and made a billion dollars still hasn't experienced as much as a 44 year old janitor.

Don't take it as an insult. It wasn't meant as one. You're just taking it that way. It's the truth, and be comforted by the fact that you probably still have all of your hair, look much better than I do in a bathing suit, and could probably run a mile in half the time that I could.

Not having a mortgage payment means that you have never gone through the process of spending thousands (sometimes hundreds of thousands) of dollars and the associated stresses that come from such an experience.

Not having a kid isn't a negative, but you get a whole new perspective on life when you have children. That's a fact of life.

And the a lack of experience doesn't make one stupid, and I never said that. Drawing that conclusion shows a great amount of insecurity on your part.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 20 2011, 03:46 PM)

Well said.

I obviously made a (double) post in the wrong place and seeing as how there's no delete post function had to do the second best thing. Although, I suppose if I were older I wouldn't have made such a blunder, right?

Oh, c'mon. Laugh it off.

Nobody is saying that younger people are stupid. Only that life OFTEN (not always) teaches things as you move along through the years - lessons you can't learn except through living.

It doesn't apply to everything, but to some things? Sure. Just like sometimes younger people are more adventurous or whatever.

Nothing applies across the board. But things DO tend to settle one way or another at least fairly often. That's all us old codgers are saying, I think.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Oct 20 2011, 03:47 PM)
Not having a kid isn't a negative, but you get a whole new perspective on life when you have children. That's a fact of life.

Only the parents that actually give a shit. My sis-in-law had a kid and her lifestyle didn't change... she still goes to the clubs until 2am, stays at her boyfriend's house until 4pm the next day... my poor mother-in-law gets stuck with her kid.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 20 2011, 04:49 PM)

Well said.

Oh, c'mon. Laugh it off.

Nobody is saying that younger people are stupid. Only that life OFTEN (not always) teaches things as you move along through the years - lessons you can't learn except through living.

It doesn't apply to everything, but to some things? Sure. Just like sometimes younger people are more adventurous or whatever.

Nothing applies across the board. But things DO tend to settle one way or another at least fairly often. That's all us old codgers are saying, I think.

yes.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 20 2011, 03:49 PM)
It doesn't apply to everything, but to some things?  Sure.  Just like sometimes younger people are more adventurous or whatever.

I sure as hell was. I would jump off our garage roof and bike on 4 foot wide trails on a cliff. One wrong move, I could have died. I drove too fast, passed cars in the emergency lane..... I don't do any of that any more. It's not worth it to me. I have a family depending on me and that's the most important thing in my life now. Priorities change, and your view of the world changes as more life is experienced.... the closer to the fountain we get.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 20 2011, 01:49 PM)

Well said.

Oh, c'mon. Laugh it off.

No, tick has more or less stated numerous times that younger people are stupid

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Oct 20 2011, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 20 2011, 01:49 PM)

Well said.

Oh, c'mon. Laugh it off.

No, tick has more or less stated numerous times that younger people are stupid

but.... you said it right there... it was tick laugh.gif

I take it as a compliment when he calls me dumb!