Nightwish

physics23

What is everyone's general impression of Floor Jansen? I think my favorite songs are the live version of old songs sung by her. Her voice is so versatile.

For instance, a standout song for me is She is my Sin and I watched a live video from 2003 with Tarja singing. Now you can tell that she has a great operative voice but that version is not even close to as good as the 2013 Wacken festival version sung by Floor. Does thinking that make me a newb?

Tarja

Floor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EKgcVSX4ss

Nope, nothing wrong with that. Floor is the best overall singer the has ever had and my favorite. She is an incredible live performer and does sing a number of those older tunes better than the originals. I'm guessing you've seen her performance of Ghost Love Score? The way she does that song has pretty much earned her eternal love from the fans.

My only knock on Floor is her studio work with Nightwish. Her voice comes off too soft and subtle a lot of the time and it feels like she's holding back vocally for some reason. She shines best live, so maybe she prefers to save it for when she's on stage.

I think it's just what Tuomas wants. Her work with Northward was full throttle hard rock. Loved that.

Have you listened to Floor's stunning Phantom Of The Opera and Lady Gaga's Shallow yet? She took part in a Dutch TV show last year, where each week a group of professional singers sing different songs to a theme each week.

Turned her into a national treasure, lead to a full blown sold out tour, she went from a unknown to an A-lister, in her own country.

What is everyone's general impression of Floor Jansen? I think my favorite songs are the live version of old songs sung by her. Her voice is so versatile.

For instance, a standout song for me is She is my Sin and I watched a live video from 2003 with Tarja singing. Now you can tell that she has a great operative voice but that version is not even close to as good as the 2013 Wacken festival version sung by Floor. Does thinking that make me a newb?

Tarja

Floor

Nope, nothing wrong with that. Floor is the best overall singer the has ever had and my favorite. She is an incredible live performer and does sing a number of those older tunes better than the originals. I'm guessing you've seen her performance of Ghost Love Score? The way she does that song has pretty much earned her eternal love from the fans.

My only knock on Floor is her studio work with Nightwish. Her voice comes off too soft and subtle a lot of the time and it feels like she's holding back vocally for some reason. She shines best live, so maybe she prefers to save it for when she's on stage.

I have watched\listened to that Wacken concert 4 or 5 times now. That was an amazing set and an amazing performance all the way around.
  • Like 1

Tarja

Floor

I think it's just what Tuomas wants. Her work with Northward was full throttle hard rock. Loved that.

Have you listened to Floor's stunning Phantom Of The Opera and Lady Gaga's Shallow yet? She took part in a Dutch TV show last year, where each week a group of professional singers sing different songs to a theme each week.

Turned her into a national treasure, lead to a full blown sold out tour, she went from a unknown to an A-lister, in her own country.

I thought I read a couple interviews with Floor where she said Tuomas lets her sing the material the way she sees fit. Maybe that goes more for the live stuff though. In order to preserve her voice longterm, she might think going a little lighter on the studio material will help that. So, she's not belting out every tune at every show and killing her voice.

Tarja

Floor

I thought I read a couple interviews with Floor where she said Tuomas lets her sing the material the way she sees fit. Maybe that goes more for the live stuff though. In order to preserve her voice longterm, she might think going a little lighter on the studio material will help that. So, she's not belting out every tune at every show and killing her voice.

Maybe...

I mean, she's definitely using her voice differently in Nightwish than elsewhere, so it could be argued it's a refreshing change of pace.

Shame about Marco leaving the band. That's a big hole to fill. His departing statement could have been less overdramatic and more to the point though.

I appreciated his departing note. I really admire that he stated he's leaving for his health and his family. I think a lot of performers this last year have had a change of heart in regards to their priorities.

But personally, I really felt his absence for most of Human Nature. It bothered me greatly. I will miss him, and he's a huge part of my love for Nightwish.

I'm not sure what their future holds, but I'm worried, to say the least. It's been feeling a little like The Floor Show the last couple of years, which is something I've known UK fans to talk about a lot.

Nightwish are a band that I've tried to like, but ultimately they leave me cold.....

Their musicianship is great, but I don't know why they feel they have to augment their live performances with backing tracks....there's six of them ffs, isn't that enough?

Tarjas voice always grated on me despite her skill, and I find Floor is much better.

I'm not really a fan of the nu-metal guitar tone either, but each to their own.

I also don't really like the reliance on overly obviolus hooks.

They are clearly very talented but not for me I'm afraid.

Shame about Marco leaving the band. That's a big hole to fill. His departing statement could have been less overdramatic and more to the point though.

I appreciated his departing note. I really admire that he stated he's leaving for his health and his family. I think a lot of performers this last year have had a change of heart in regards to their priorities.

But personally, I really felt his absence for most of Human Nature. It bothered me greatly. I will miss him, and he's a huge part of my love for Nightwish.

I'm not sure what their future holds, but I'm worried, to say the least. It's been feeling a little like The Floor Show the last couple of years, which is something I've known UK fans to talk about a lot.

I thought the opening part of his letter told a lot about why he was leaving too. Talking about how the artists don't make anything for the work they put in because streaming pays so little. At least that's what I got out of that first part. When they're touring and they have that money coming in, the low payouts from online streaming probably aren't as noticeable. But now that nobody has been on the road for a year, how little they make from streaming stands out a lot more.

I do worry about their future as well. The last album was good but as we've both said, there was a spark missing. That special intangible that they always have didn't quite seem to be there on Human II Nature.

We will see what happens. Aren't they going to have two live streaming shows in March? I wonder if that will be it?

Nightwish are a band that I've tried to like, but ultimately they leave me cold.....

Their musicianship is great, but I don't know why they feel they have to augment their live performances with backing tracks....there's six of them ffs, isn't that enough?

Tarjas voice always grated on me despite her skill, and I find Floor is much better.

Are the live backing tracks you're talking about the ones that have the orchestra and choirs in them?

I thought the opening part of his letter told a lot about why he was leaving too. Talking about how the artists don't make anything for the work they put in because streaming pays so little. At least that's what I got out of that first part. When they're touring and they have that money coming in, the low payouts from online streaming probably aren't as noticeable. But now that nobody has been on the road for a year, how little they make from streaming stands out a lot more.

I do worry about their future as well. The last album was good but as we've both said, there was a spark missing. That special intangible that they always have didn't quite seem to be there on Human II Nature.

We will see what happens. Aren't they going to have two live streaming shows in March? I wonder if that will be it?

I hope not...but at the same time, I don't want them to continue and artistically go downhill.

It's crazy but in my mind, when I think of the latest Nightwish album, my mind first goes to Endless Forms Most Beautiful. In fact, when listing my favourite albums of 2020, I actually forgot about Human Nature.

I hope not...but at the same time, I don't want them to continue and artistically go downhill.

It's crazy but in my mind, when I think of the latest Nightwish album, my mind first goes to Endless Forms Most Beautiful. In fact, when listing my favourite albums of 2020, I actually forgot about Human Nature.

I felt much more of a songwriting spark in what Tuomas did with Auri than I did for the last Nightwish album. Seems as if his heart was more into that honestly.

Are the live backing tracks you're talking about the ones that have the orchestra and choirs in them?

Yes, but that's irrelevant....I hate backing tracks of any description..it's one of the things that pissed me off about Rush in later years.

They have no place in a Live setting.

Yes, but that's irrelevant....I hate backing tracks of any description..it's one of the things that pissed me off about Rush in later years.

Oh, they do that live because it's too expensive to bring an orchestra and choir on the road. I'm ok with backing tracks if that's the case. I only have a problem when they're using it for something that can easily be done live.

Oh, they do that live because it's too expensive to bring an orchestra and choir on the road. I'm ok with backing tracks if that's the case. I only have a problem when they're using it for something that can easily be done live.

Nope nope nope.....if you can't do it live then don't do it.

I felt much more of a songwriting spark in what Tuomas did with Auri than I did for the last Nightwish album. Seems as if his heart was more into that honestly.

Honestly agree. How's The Heart would have sounded better with his wife's vocals.

Human Nature is in its way another GREAT album. It is so much more creative than pretty much anything else in the genre (and honestly I love symphonic metal, but it's largely stale at this point), but I have to say, as far as Nightwish goes, it's far too predictable.

Pretty much the greatest live show I've ever seen. I don't care about the backing track, they are and were amazing.

Pretty much the greatest live show I've ever seen. I don't care about the backing track, they are and were amazing.

However they weren't live....I know it doesn't bother a lot of people but I just can't get past that.

However they weren't live....I know it doesn't bother a lot of people but I just can't get past that.

Well they were. It's just one element that isn't. Oh well.

They did a live stream show today and are doing one tomorrow as well. I didn't watch but I think the setlist is pretty good. The new bass player is from Wintersun. I'm curious as to what they did with the songs that had Marco doing lead vocals.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nightwish/2021/the-islanders-arms-helsinki-finland-7b8e3a4c.html

I paid for it, watched it. Absolutely loved it. Felt so fantastical.

Clips already up on YouTube

Floor did most of the vocals. I was really amazed how well Planet Hell sounded!

Oh good, I'm really curious to see how this went. I thought maybe they would hold off on putting things on YouTube until after the second show. Floor can certainly handle doing more of the vocals. I just hope it doesn't push her voice too hard when they get back to regular touring.

Oh good, I'm really curious to see how this went. I thought maybe they would hold off on putting things on YouTube until after the second show. Floor can certainly handle doing more of the vocals. I just hope it doesn't push her voice too hard when they get back to regular touring.

One thing I really noticed throughout the whole gig is how good her breath control is, she actually showed a lot of restraint and it didn't take away at all from the brilliance of the concert. I've watched a lot of her solo clips too, she is obviously working very hard to preserve her instrument.

Another thing, I thought the choice to have a virtual environment was really fun. I mean, I love Nightwish, but with a backing orchestra non-existent and no crowd to feed off of, Tuomas was right in saying it would likely have been really boring if it was just them in a room or stage playing. So the really fantastical virtual set I thought added a sense of fun and colour to the performance, and it really complemented the tone they were going for

It's not the same thing as a live concert in the flesh, but it was at the same time a really fun alternative.

Oh and all the songs off Human Nature worked brilliantly live. That album I think is going to improve with me over time, if this show is anything to go by.

Not my favourite album at all but there is a beauty to the album that I find more and more alluring