Nightwish

physics23

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 14 2012, 12:40 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 13 2012, 06:32 PM)
I saw Nightwish live last month and it was a great show. Here's the setlist from it:

Storytime
Wish I Had An Angel
Amaranth
7 Days To The Wolves
The Siren
Slow, Love, Slow
I Want My Tears Back
The Crow, The Owl And The Dove
The Islander
Nemo (acuostic)
Last Of The Wilds
Planet Hell
Ghost River
Over The Hills And Far Away
Song Of Myself (without the long spoken word part at the end)
Last Ride Of The Day

I saw Nightwish live for the first time last month as well, and unfortunately The Crow, The Owl And the Dove was omitted from the set. I think they omitted it because I saw them at the Beacon Theater and in NYC there's a strict 11PM curtain call for venues like that and Radio City. From what I remembered from the show, Anette sounded great that night and the band looked really happy to be there.

With that being said, I'm sad to see Anette go, but I totally respect her/the band's decision to part ways. Her voice wasn't the best live, and with her current state of health, it would've been dangerous to continue touring if she keeps getting ill at some point on tour. Plus, she has 2 sons and also lives with her boyfriend (who's the bassist of Pain, who are opening for Nightwish on their European tour next month), so maybe one of her reasons for leaving was to spend more time with her family, and that's also understandable considering how she's mostly away on tour which leaves little time to be with her sons.

I too hope that Floor becomes the next singer for the band, and I hope she'll be willing to have ReVamped as a side project like what Marco does for Tarot. To be frank, I think Floor's the only one who could make both Tarja and Anette fans happy because IMO, she's kinda like a hybrid of both Tarja and Anette's voice. She's perfect for Tarja's songs and she does a great job of singing Anette's songs with her vocal style. I think her vocals for Anette's songs are improving as each show goes on based on the videos I saw from her first show up to now.

Yep, Floor just keeps on improving. Videos from their show last night:

Storytime

Wish I Had An Angel

Video from the night before:

Ghost Love Score

They better announce her as the new permanent singer otherwise they are really gonna piss off a ton of their fanbase, myself included.

QUOTE (Zamboni14 @ Oct 16 2012, 01:19 AM)
I had no idea that Anette and NW had parted ways. I would love it if Floor joined. I wasn't a huge After Forever fan, but I did like her voice.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were fans of the band who still didn't know about Anette leaving since it happened so quickly. They made the anouncement on their web page on October 1st and then that night Floor performed her first show. As more news has come out, it looks like Anette was planning on leaving after they recorded their live DVD in Finland next month and Floor was taking over after that. That's why she was able to come in so fast after Anette's departure got pushed up.

The change was really seamless and the band didn't miss a show and kept right on going. Plus, Floor has gotten such a positive response from the fans so far I think it made it easier for everyone to accept Anette leaving. At least there isn't drama this time like there was when they got rid of Tarja in 2005.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 16 2012, 08:40 AM)
As more news has come out, it looks like Anette was planning on leaving after they recorded their live DVD in Finland next month and Floor was taking over after that.

I had no idea that the band was intending to shoot a DVD in Finland...is there any link confirming this? All I know is that Floor confirmed in one of her blog posts that she'll be doing shows up till next year at the very least. I think it'd be really awkward if they shoot a DVD with Floor in it and release it if she ends up being only a touring singer.

Why wouldn't Floor become a permanent member? She seems to be able to handle Tarja's and Annette's vocals well, the fans' reactions have been mostly positive, and the band seems like they're happy with her. The only thing I could think of is her wanting to be with her band full time but I can't imagine why she wouldn't want to be a full time member. Plus she could always have side projects. Am I missing something because I've seen people elsewhere say they don't think she'll join the band?

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 16 2012, 04:43 PM)
As more news has come out, it looks like Anette was planning on leaving after they recorded their live DVD in Finland next month and Floor was taking over after that.

I had no idea that the band was intending to shoot a DVD in Finland...is there any link confirming this? All I know is that Floor confirmed in one of her blog posts that she'll be doing shows up till next year at the very least. I think it'd be really awkward if they shoot a DVD with Floor in it and release it if she ends up being only a touring singer.

While I don't have a link, it's been planned since the tour started that they will be recording the DVD at Hartwell arena in Finland next month. They will also have the world premier of the Imaginaerum movie at this show as well. The band will play, then there will be an intermission and then they will show the movie. The recording is happening, the band has too much time and money invested in the concert recording and the movie for them to cancel it.

To ColdFireYYZ, I honestly believe that Floor is the new singer and the band hasn't announced it yet. The recording of the live DVD with her and the fact that the tour ends in January and Floor said on her blog she's singing with Nightwish at some festivals next summer all but confirms to me, and a lot of other fans, that she is in fact the new singer.

She can still have her side projects. Look at Marco, his band Tarot was around for years before he joined Nightwish. Since joining them in 2002, he's still released three or four albums with Tarot. So Floor can certainly still do her other stuff, mainly ReVamp, where she can be creative and write songs since we all know that won't happen with Nightwish. Like i've said before, unless Floor wants to turn down a big paycheck and international recognition, she will stay with Nightwish. ReVamp would mainly be a European band, but Nightwish is a worldwide one.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 16 2012, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 16 2012, 04:43 PM)

While I don't have a link, it's been planned since the tour started that they will be recording the DVD at Hartwell arena in Finland next month. They will also have the world premier of the Imaginaerum movie at this show as well. The band will play, then there will be an intermission and then they will show the movie. The recording is happening, the band has too much time and money invested in the concert recording and the movie for them to cancel it.

Well, considering those factors, I'd believe it. I always thought to myself that they'll film the Imaginaerum tour during the show before the Imaginaerum premiere, but at the same time, thought that they wouldn't because End of an Era was recorded there as well. Had Anette stayed in Nightwish up to the Imaginaerum premiere, it would've been deja vu because Tarja was fired after shooting the End of an Era DVD, and had they announced Anette's departure (even though she and the band knew about this beforehand) after the premiere, I think the fans would've looked at it as a Tarja-esque departure. To be honest, I think if there's any time to announce to the world that Floor's the new singer, I can't think of a better place to do it than the Imaginaerum movie premiere. The timing of this premiere and Floor's arrival in the band just makes sense to me.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 16 2012, 04:33 PM)
Why wouldn't Floor become a permanent member? She seems to be able to handle Tarja's and Annette's vocals well, the fans' reactions have been mostly positive, and the band seems like they're happy with her. The only thing I could think of is her wanting to be with her band full time but I can't imagine why she wouldn't want to be a full time member. Plus she could always have side projects. Am I missing something because I've seen people elsewhere say they don't think she'll join the band?

actually I believe that "After Forever" (Floors first band) is no longer together... so one would think that it would be much easier for her to join Nightwish full time

QUOTE (Zamboni14 @ Oct 17 2012, 12:54 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 16 2012, 04:33 PM)

actually I believe that "After Forever" (Floors first band) is no longer together... so one would think that it would be much easier for her to join Nightwish full time

Yes, After Forever broke up a couple years ago. Floor has released one album with her new band ReVamp and there's a second one coming sometime next year. ReVamp is far too small though, i'm sure Floor won't let the opportunity to sing full time for Nightwish slip away. I already believe she's their permanent singer anyways. Nightwish has been booked for some festivals next summer and Floor said in her blog she's excited to do those shows. Doesn't sound like a temporary job to me if she's talking about gigs next summer already. I agree with PolarizeMe that at the DVD filiming next month is the perfect time to announce that Floor has joined the band officially.

Somebody recorded Nightwish's entire show on sunday and was nice enough to put it on youtube. This was the last show of the north american tour:

It's official: Floor Jansen is the singer for Nightwish! I really like her style and I can't wait for the next album!

Ms. Floor Jansen is a keeper.

Also, we will be a six-piece band from now on, as Mr. Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, low whistles, vocals) will become a full-time member of NIGHTWISH.

Originally we were going to wait until 2014 to make a decision about the future line-up of the band, but the past year has clearly shown us that Floor and Troy are perfect matching pieces to our puzzle, and we are really grateful of the bond that has grown between all of us. We love you guys.

Tuomas

Marco

Jukka

Emppu

Commented vocalist Floor Jansen: "Words cannot describe what I feel! This union is beyond everything and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to continue this amazing journey with my new brothers! Once I had a dream…and this is it!!!"

Piper/whistleman, added vocalist Troy Donockley: "`Imaginaerum World Tour´was a revelation to me and in that time, I became aware of a growing unity and then, finally, a transcendence of all the usual nonsense that affects bands. A beautiful process. And since the idea, the musical dream that is NIGHTWISH has been a part of me since before I was born, I am delighted to officially sail into uncharted waters with my brothers and sister. Wondrous scenes Ahoy! "

The new line-up can be seen on the live / tour documentary DVD »Showtime, Storytime«, released on November 29th.

Awesome!!! Floor is a perfect fit for Nightwish and with her vocal range Tuomas will no doubt write some epic songs to fit her singing style. It's cool that Troy is an official member to. Looking forward to their next album more than another from them after reading this news.

This is great news indeed! I think if they would've waited until next year to announce this definitive new line-up the suspense would've killed me by then knowing that nobody would've been better than the job except Floor. Can't wait to hear how Floor and Troy sound in the studio with Nightwish.

I loved Annette. Her voice was special, it had a certain charm I can't put into words. Will miss her greatly!

Their next album is gonna be amazing now that Floor is their singer.

At the very least it will be their best since Once or Wishmaster. If Tuomas lets Floor contribute to the songwriting and lyrics then they will undoubtedly be the best band in the symphonic metal genre.

On a side note... I'm curious to see footage of Floor and Tarja's duet this weekend at the Femme Voices of Metal Fest.

Arg am I alone in thinking the Anette era spawned the best ever Nighwish music? I love the early Tarja stuff, but I don't see how they coukd ever better the last two albums! I ADORE DARK PASSION PLAY!!

Arg am I alone in thinking the Anette era spawned the best ever Nighwish music? I love the early Tarja stuff, but I don't see how they coukd ever better the last two albums! I ADORE DARK PASSION PLAY!!

The new album can be better than the last two simply because Tuomas has a much more versatile vocalist with a better range to write songs for now. That's what made Imaginerum so great, he was able to write the songs specifically to fit Annett's vocal style. Dark Passion Play is very good to, but you can tell that the songs weren't all written with Annette's voice in mind. Touring with Floor was the best thing that could happen for the band. Tuomas can now take his one of a kind songwriting skills and come up with something really great now that he's been on the road with her and gotten to hear first hand what she can do with her voice.

Trust me, as someone who's been a fan of theirs for about ten years now, I really think the next album is gonna blow the fans away now that Floor is part of it.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Their next album is gonna be amazing now that Floor is their singer.

At the very least it will be their best since Once or Wishmaster. If Tuomas lets Floor contribute to the songwriting and lyrics then they will undoubtedly be the best band in the symphonic metal genre.

On a side note... I'm curious to see footage of Floor and Tarja's duet this weekend at the Femme Voices of Metal Fest.

Tuomas probably won't let Floor contribute anything to the songwriting. At least not on this album, maybe future ones though. Tuomas is one of those songwriters who is just better at writing the material himself without any outside help and it's worked wonders for the band so far. There's a few Nightwish tunes that other people have helped with in the past but those are very few. Let Tuomas keep writing the songs on his own, there's no need to fix what isn't broken.

DPP and Imaginaerum are both great albums in their own right. To me, Nightwish hit their peak in 2004 when Once was released. Tuomas had finally figured out the direction he wanted to take the musical styles and songwriting in with Century Child and he expanded on this with Once. And he fully knew what Tarja's vocal ability was capable of doing, so - as J2112YYZ said - he was able to craft the music around her voice.

Dark Passion Play is a great album and "Poet and the Pendulum" is still one of my top 10 Nightwish songs, but both that and Imaginaerum don't have that same atmosphere that Once seems to have. But each to their own.

Floor is the vocalist that everybody wanted Nightwish to hire when they first fired Tarja. I got to see her with them last year and just with the energy that she brought to the band it was like I was watching them back in 2004 all over again. And when they went into "Ghost Love Score" the whole place was just in awe. This pairing needed to happen. And thank god it did.

Edited by kazzman
  • Like 1