Never Forget

lerxt1990

Good post.

I probably said this same thing last year at this time, but I think we should be reminded of this everyday. The photos and footage shouldn't be saved for anniversaries and t.v. specials. I think that over time, the memories do fade and we need to be reminded of just how many people's lives were changed in the blink of an eye. We need to be reminded of what a horrible day that was and continues to be for all those who were there and lost friends, family and co-workers. The victims of that day were just going to work or school or trying to get home to their families. They were hurting no one, just living their daily lives like we all do every day.

Also, as a result of this we need to remember those in the military who are and have served, been away from their families, and lost their lives in their service.

Thanks Lerxst.

I, for one, cannot ever forget. I have reminders all around me. I'm a native New Yorker. The twin towers, as we called them, were a part of the skyline. When my wife and I were dating, we used to go up to the observation deck after work, and make out in the dark corners at night. I remember people jokingly telling us, "Get a room!" sarcasm.gif

As a kid growing up in Long Island, we'd go to the beach at Robert Moses State Park, and the only buildings you could see from the beach were the very top of the Empire State Building and the tops of the twin towers. My father would point to the horizon, and say "Look, that's the top of the twin towers."

The thing that struck me the most in the first couple of years after they were brought down, was how much I used to count on the towers to get my bearings. I could always look up, see the towers, and figure out where I was.

I lost some friends that day...people that I worked with. I have heard so many stories of loss. I am lucky to be able to say that I didn't lose anyone close to me that day. I am one of the fortunate ones.

There are so many horrific stories from that day. Stories from people that were merely going to work. Innocent people became casualties in a war that many were unaware of. Even 10 years later, it isn't long before a conversation turns to 9/11. It has had an unbelievable effect on the psyche of New Yorkers. Many people here are suffering from PTSD. I have co-workers who were in the south tower that day. The company I work for had its office on the 86th floor in the south tower. I wasn't working for the company back then, but many of my staff were there that day. I can see the effects of the events of that day on them. The recent earthquake is an example. Half my staff fled the building without waiting for instructions. They ran out of the building and left for the day. The memories of 9/11 are still so fresh. They were brought right back to that day in a matter of seconds.

I need to point out some positives...

The great thing that comes out of this, is the resilience of New Yorkers. We refuse to let the scum who did this bully us into submission. We refuse to let them scare us to the point where we give into whatever demands they might have. We refuse to be beaten down. We refuse to stop being New Yorkers.

My office is one block from "ground zero". I can look out my office window right down into the construction that is taking place there now. I no longer see wreckage, carnage and destruction. I see rebirth. And, the rebirth is being led by the survivors of that day. The gentleman who created the 9/11 memorial across the street is the father of one of the firefighters who was murdered that day. The people overseeing the project all experienced some sort of loss that day. This is very personal to them.

I recently spoke to one of the iron workers who is working on the new building. He is very proud of what they're building. The workers are on a mission, and are all very proud. Their mission is to show the terrorists that they haven't accomplished their goal. They want to build something that everyone will be proud of. They want to show that those who were murdered that day did not die in vain. The terrorists have not won. In fact, they have accomplished the complete opposite. They have emboldened New Yorkers. They have made Americans more resolute. They have only made us angry and more determined than ever to stand up for our beliefs.

With the 10th anniversary upon us, we all pause to remember and honor those that have fallen. We're still left with painful reminders. We've all lost friends and/or family. If not, we all know someone who has.

No...we will never forget. I will never forget. The terrorists may have won the battle, but we are winning the war. Just one look at the new tower going up tells me that.

rose.gif rose.gif rose.gif

Edited by Natch

The State Fair's sand sculpture this year was a fireman with his head in his hands sitting outside the broken buildings in New York. Additionally, they had displays of vehicles that responded and were smashed, items that belonged to victims...it left quite an impression on me. rose.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 8 2011, 08:50 PM)
And the attack on September 11, 2001. As it happened. Never forget. Never, ever forget. Not in NY, Washington DC, and the heroes over Pennsylvania.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lKZqqSI9-s

6:28....IMO, the most gut-wrenching of all the shots of the second plane. Not just because of the camera angle and relative closeness to the tower, but also because of the audio. The increasing roar of the plane coming in, and the people's reactions to the impact. Horrifying.

I can't even... What can you say?

Each passing year only seems to further my absolute disbelief.

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 8 2011, 10:42 PM)
Thanks Lerxst.

I, for one, cannot ever forget. I have reminders all around me. I'm a native New Yorker. The twin towers, as we called them, were a part of the skyline. When my wife and I were dating, we used to go up to the observation deck after work, and make out in the dark corners at night. I remember people jokingly telling us, "Get a room!" sarcasm.gif

As a kid growing up in Long Island, we'd go to the beach at Robert Moses State Park, and the only buildings you could see from the beach were the very top of the Empire State Building and the tops of the twin towers. My father would point to the horizon, and say "Look, that's the top of the twin towers."

The thing that struck me the most in the first couple of years after they were brought down, was how much I used to count on the towers to get my bearings. I could always look up, see the towers, and figure out where I was.

I lost some friends that day...people that I worked with. I have heard so many stories of loss. I am lucky to be able to say that I didn't lose anyone close to me that day. I am one of the fortunate ones.

There are so many horrific stories from that day. Stories from people that were merely going to work. Innocent people became casualties in a war that many were unaware of. Even 10 years later, it isn't long before a conversation turns to 9/11. It has had an unbelievable effect on the psyche of New Yorkers. Many people here are suffering from PTSD. I have co-workers who were in the south tower that day. The company I work for had its office on the 86th floor in the south tower. I wasn't working for the company back then, but many of my staff were there that day. I can see the effects of the events of that day on them. The recent earthquake is an example. Half my staff fled the building without waiting for instructions. They ran out of the building and left for the day. The memories of 9/11 are still so fresh. They were brought right back to that day in a matter of seconds.

The great thing that comes out of this, is the resilience of New Yorkers. We refuse to let the scum who did this bully us into submission. We refuse to let them scare us to the point where we give into whatever demands they might have. We refuse to be beaten down. We refuse to stop being New Yorkers.

My office is one block from "ground zero". I can look out my office window right down into the construction that is taking place there now. I no longer see wreckage, carnage and destruction. I see rebirth. And, the rebirth is being led by the survivors of that day. The gentleman who created the 9/11 memorial across the street is the father of one of the firefighters who was murdered that day. The people overseeing the project all experienced some sort of loss that day. This is very personal to them.

I recently spoke to one of the iron workers who is working on the new building. He is very proud of what they're building. The workers are on a mission, and are all very proud. Their mission is to show the terrorists that they haven't accomplished their goal. They want to build something that everyone will be proud of. They want to show that those who were murdered that day did not die in vain. The terrorists have not won. In fact, they have accomplished the complete opposite. They have emboldened New Yorkers. They have made Americans more resolute. They have only made us angry and more determined than ever to stand up for our beliefs.

With the 10th anniversary upon us, we all pause to remember and honor those that have fallen. We're still left with painful reminders. We've all lost friends and/or family. If not, we all know someone who has.

No...we will never forget. I will never forget. The terrorists may have won the battle, but we are winning the war. Just one look at the new tower going up tells me that.

Thanks for that post.

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 8 2011, 09:42 PM)
Thanks Lerxst.

beautiful words....

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 8 2011, 11:32 PM)
QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 8 2011, 10:42 PM)
Thanks Lerxst.

I, for one, cannot ever forget. I have reminders all around me. I'm a native New Yorker. The twin towers, as we called them, were a part of the skyline. When my wife and I were dating, we used to go up to the observation deck after work, and make out in the dark corners at night. I remember people jokingly telling us, "Get a room!"  sarcasm.gif

rose.gif  rose.gif  rose.gif

Thanks for that post.

Yes, that is some goodpost.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 8 2011, 10:58 PM)
I hate to be the callous one, so I'll just say this:

Reopening wounds does not help heal them.

And I think I should explain myself, to avoid misunderstanding.

The loss of a loved one is something you must come to terms with yourself. They should not be forgotten, certainly, but I think all this media coverage and interviews and whatnot is unneccesary and sometimes painful for those most affected by 9/11. It should just be a gentle reminder. Condolences come from friends and family; not the television, not the radio, and not the internet.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 9 2011, 12:06 AM)

And I think I should explain myself, to avoid misunderstanding.

The loss of a loved one is something you must come to terms with yourself. They should not be forgotten, certainly, but I think all this media coverage and interviews and whatnot is unneccesary and sometimes painful for those most affected by 9/11. It should just be a gentle reminder. Condolences come from friends and family; not the television, not the radio, and not the internet.

I agree the radio and TV overdoes it for ratings.

But I may disagree with you on a couple of points.

First, all Americans need to be able to offer their condolences and thanks for/to those who died, because they were attacked because they were one of us. We certainly should not be in their face, and they should be respected.

I'd also say that we need to remember what happened so we make sure that we proceed in the future with the knowledge that this kind of danger exists. And that it wasn't just another bump in the road, a lot of very good very innocent people died.

For those that don't wish to be reminded, victims or otherwise, its obvious to just avoid the mentioning or discussion of it.

And the TV coverage and news coverage, the non stop 9/11 thats been going on for a month.. yes, too much.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if you're saying that by posting links to videos and pictures is "reopening the wounds", I think you're wrong. For one thing, those who were directly affected by this massacre are still hurting. The wounds and hurt are still as raw and fresh as they were 10 years ago.

The purpose of posting links to videos and pictures of the horror of that day is not to reopen wounds or to heal wounds. It is to serve as a reminder to those who looked away that day. It is a reminder to those who refused to believe that this actually happened. It is a reminder to those that refuse to believe that it could happen again.

I type this as news breaks of an apparently new threat on the eve of the 10th anniversary.

If the posting of this stuff offends anyone, they can simply not click on the link.

I admit to avoiding any coverage of 9/11. I can't look. It's too painful. I don't need reminders. I don't need to see it again. I didn't click on those links.

But, I believe that this is a story that needs to be retold. I believe there are too many people who think this was a conspiracy. I believe that it needs to be brought home to the people who only thought of 9/11 as an event that happened on TV.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/wishes/2303249377_c118194a61.jpg

I also think that the TV coverage has gone from remembrance to overdoing it. I intend to leave mine off on Sunday.

Great post lerxt.

Like I've done every year for the past 5 or 6 years I'll be posting a thread of the names of every single victim of that horrific day because it is not only important to never forget what happened that day 10 years ago but it is very important to remember that the people who died were people with names and who had many friends and family members who forever lost a piece of their hearts and souls....forever.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 9 2011, 06:13 AM)
Great post lerxt.

Like I've done every year for the past 5 or 6 years I'll be posting a thread of the names of every single victim of that horrific day because it is not only important to never forget what happened that day 10 years ago but it is very important to remember that the people who died were people with names and who had many friends and family members who forever lost a piece of their hearts and souls....forever.

A great thing, and Im glad you do it every year.

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 8 2011, 11:17 PM)

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if you're saying that by posting links to videos and pictures is "reopening the wounds", I think you're wrong. For one thing, those who were directly affected by this massacre are still hurting. The wounds and hurt are still as raw and fresh as they were 10 years ago.

The purpose of posting links to videos and pictures of the horror of that day is not to reopen wounds or to heal wounds. It is to serve as a reminder to those who looked away that day. It is a reminder to those who refused to believe that this actually happened. It is a reminder to those that refuse to believe that it could happen again.

I type this as news breaks of an apparently new threat on the eve of the 10th anniversary.

If the posting of this stuff offends anyone, they can simply not click on the link.

I admit to avoiding any coverage of 9/11. I can't look. It's too painful. I don't need reminders. I don't need to see it again. I didn't click on those links.

But, I believe that this is a story that needs to be retold. I believe there are too many people who think this was a conspiracy. I believe that it needs to be brought home to the people who only thought of 9/11 as an event that happened on TV.

Let them think what they think and be ridiculed for it.