A Farewell to Kings.

phlaaps

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 5 2011, 08:21 AM)
I always wished that Alex played more classical stuff like AFTK and Broon's Bane.

I think that time has passed. They definitely arent the kind of band to look back and try to recapture anything they did before. Plus the fact that they've also ALWAYS been a band that reflected what was going on around them in popular rock music, as we hear in the heavier edge of the new songs, and anything with a classical feel I think will start making them sound VERY dated, like an old washed up prog band from the 70s trying to relive the past.

Those classical intros and whatnot were hot in the 70s but they did that already, no sense in doing it again. Id rather them just continue on with what they are doing now, with a heavier, more modern sound. Even if I dont love the new album, is still rather it be something more modern than anything else.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 5 2011, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Sep 5 2011, 08:21 AM)
I always wished that Alex played more classical stuff like AFTK and Broon's Bane.

I think that time has passed. They definitely arent the kind of band to look back and try to recapture anything they did before. Plus the fact that they've also ALWAYS been a band that reflected what was going on around them in popular rock music, as we hear in the heavier edge of the new songs, and anything with a classical feel I think will start making them sound VERY dated, like an old washed up prog band from the 70s trying to relive the past.

Those classical intros and whatnot were hot in the 70s but they did that already, no sense in doing it again. Id rather them just continue on with what they are doing now, with a heavier, more modern sound. Even if I dont love the new album, is still rather it be something more modern than anything else.

Well, the key word there was 'wished'.

I know that time has passed. That happened at the end of the ESL tour in late 1981.

Aside from playing "The Trees" live, that era has been long gone.

Too bad. It adds depth and ambience to the sound by having such contrasting sounds.

It is true however that bands need to grow musically and if they keep churning out the same stuff year after year, then it gets stale.

Tell that to the blockheads that don't like any RHCP album after BSSM...

How does AC/DC do it??

Edited by Mr. Krinkle

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 5 2011, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 5 2011, 09:58 AM)
It's the first great Rush album in my opinion.

Agreed.

ohmy.gif

2112? Hm?

But I think I know what you're saying.

As much as I looooove "2112" I only truly enjoy the first side of the album. On AFTK the only song I don't care for is "Madrigal" and even that one's pretty good. Xanadu and Cygnus X-1, and certain lines (really good ones) in "AFTK" set it apart for me.