This may have been brought up before.

alexlifeson-

Right now I'm listening to Mystic Rhythms and the very beginning, just wow. The way the drums open the song, and just... the whole thing. I was just thinking about how amazing it must have been to hear this song for the first time back when Power Windows came out. This goes for any album, though, but it must've been amazing.

I'm just so excited for Clockwork Angels; it's going to be the first Rush album I've heard new, just coming out, brand new. Oh I could cry, this band is EVERYTHING to me. I can't wait!! :')

I remember despising that song when it first came out. It was many years before I could appreciate Mystic Rhythms. I literally hated that song. I think I could only get into Big Money and Manhattan Project when PW first came out.

It was just so drastically different from the Rush sound that I had grown up with, and had fallen in love with.

It was about 8 - 10 years after the fact that I really began to appreciate Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. Now I can't get enough of either CD... And Mystic Rhythms smile.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 2 2011, 11:22 AM)
I remember despising that song when it first came out. It was many years before I could appreciate Mystic Rhythms. I literally hated that song. I think I could only get into Big Money and Manhattan Project when PW first came out.

It was just so drastically different from the Rush sound that I had grown up with, and had fallen in love with.

It was about 8 - 10 years after the fact that I really began to appreciate Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. Now I can't get enough of either CD... And Mystic Rhythms smile.gif

Awh, that's cool how you grew to love it. I guess that's what Rush does to you. Just like... the Roll the Bones rap. YOU WANT TO HATE IT BUT YOU CAN'T.

QUOTE (alexlifeson- @ Sep 2 2011, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 2 2011, 11:22 AM)
I remember despising that song when it first came out.  It was many years before I could appreciate Mystic Rhythms.  I literally hated that song.  I think I could only get into Big Money and Manhattan Project when PW first came out.

It was about 8 - 10 years after the fact that I really began to appreciate Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows.  Now I can't get enough of either CD... And Mystic Rhythms  smile.gif

Awh, that's cool how you grew to love it. I guess that's what Rush does to you. Just like... the Roll the Bones rap. YOU WANT TO HATE IT BUT YOU CAN'T.

There is a large group of Rush fans who don't care for anything that Rush did post Signals. I used to be in the group...but in the mid 90s, I had an epiphany, and realized that if Rush's sound had never evolved, it would have gotten very stale. I kind of re-evaluated everything and found a new appreciation for their new stuff.

Just like... the Roll the Bones rap. YOU WANT TO HATE IT BUT YOU CAN'T.

No, trust me, I can! smile.gif

I remember hearing the live version of that song first, on the Chronicles CD, and thought, "This is pretty cool." I thought it was a better representation of that album than Manhattan Project, which is okay, but MR is far better.

I love Mystic Rhythms. Cool video too.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 2 2011, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 2 2011, 02:01 PM)
I can listen to every single song from 1974, from Feedback, all the way to Clockwork Angels and never get bored.  wub.gif them all.  heart.gif

ohmy.gif That's impressive!

Thanks..! cool.gif

Power Windows was a real departure for the band. There were a lot of poppy songs that could have been played on just about any FM radio station. I really only liked Big Money and Territories when it came out, but that didn't stop me from seeing them in '86, on their PW tour.

Of course I like all the tracks from the album today.

Edited by Majestyk

QUOTE (alexlifeson- @ Sep 2 2011, 10:58 AM)
Right now I'm listening to Mystic Rhythms and the very beginning, just wow. The way the drums open the song, and just... the whole thing. I was just thinking about how amazing it must have been to hear this song for the first time back when Power Windows came out. This goes for any album, though, but it must've been amazing.

I'm just so excited for Clockwork Angels; it's going to be the first Rush album I've heard new, just coming out, brand new. Oh I could cry, this band is EVERYTHING to me. I can't wait!! :')

This is kind of a tough thing. By the time PoW came out, many old school Rush fans could not stand this goofy 80s shit they were doing. Many of the casual fans had bailed way before this album came out, just leaving their core fans that would love almost anything they put out, so it was definitely a mixed bag.

I was 9 when this album came out but I was already into them for 3 years, and I still remember going to The Wall music store with my mom to get this tape, and the guy behind the counter saying Rush hasnt been good since Moving Pictures. I never really forgot about that because it seemed to be the general consensus, and they even talk about this in the documentary.

But I love this song too. It's extremely 80s and I really understand why most people wouldnt like this, but that doesnt really matter. It's very well written, just really not for everyone. Rush only had universal appeal I think with PeW and MP. Those were the 2 albums suddenly casual rock fans would buy not even knowing who they were before. It ended with Signals though.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 2 2011, 11:01 AM)
I can listen to every single song from 1974, from Feedback, all the way to Clockwork Angels and never get bored. wub.gif them all. heart.gif

yes.gif

I usually have their entire catalog on shuffle both on my laptop and my MP3 player. I love being surprised by what comes up next. But I do sometimes get a giggle if it should go from something like Mystic Rhythms to something from the first album. It's such a different sound - but in a good way. It's always fun biggrin.gif

QUOTE (alexlifeson- @ Sep 3 2011, 04:02 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 2 2011, 01:01 PM)
I can listen to every single song from 1974, from Feedback, all the way to Clockwork Angels and never get bored.  wub.gif them all.  heart.gif

Awh, I'm like this, too. c: Never bored.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 2 2011, 07:01 PM)
I can listen to every single song from 1974, from Feedback, all the way to Clockwork Angels and never get bored. wub.gif them all. heart.gif

There are 6 songs I don't like as much as the others. I have a playlist on my iPhone that plays ALL the songs from every album in order of release (exept Feedback). When I get to those six I don't skip. I'm hoping that over time I'll grow to love those songs as much as the others like so many fans have in the past.

Like you, Alexlifeson, this will be the first Rush album that I'm waiting to buy that's brand new. I am really looking forward to it.

Power Windows was the first album that i started to learn the words to. Mystic Rhythms is my favourite Rush song.

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Sep 3 2011, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 2 2011, 07:01 PM)

There are 6 songs I don't like as much as the others. I have a playlist on my iPhone that plays ALL the songs from every album in order of release (exept Feedback). When I get to those six I don't skip. I'm hoping that over time I'll grow to love those songs as much as the others like so many fans have in the past.

Like you, Alexlifeson, this will be the first Rush album that I'm waiting to buy that's brand new. I am really looking forward to it.

Power Windows was the first album that i started to learn the words to. Mystic Rhythms is my favourite Rush song.

Awh, that's cool. smile.gif

Gosh, I don't think I could ever have a favourite; I love so many, I couldn't pick one to love more than the others! tongue.gif I will say there are some songs that really, really mean a lot to me... songs that have made me cry, song that make me feel like I'm not alone. So many feelings.

I'm just so excited for Clockwork Angels; it's going to be the first Rush album I've heard new, just coming out, brand new.

Me too!

The other albums I heard in full all around the same time (recently), so CA will be a different experience. Power Windows is my favorite album, and Mystic Rhythms is my favorite Rush video. I too love the drums and the atmosphere of the song...a great one to end the album, IMO.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 3 2011, 10:04 PM)
I'm just so excited for Clockwork Angels; it's going to be the first Rush album I've heard new, just coming out, brand new.

Me too!

The other albums I heard in full all around the same time (recently), so CA will be a different experience. Power Windows is my favorite album, and Mystic Rhythms is my favorite Rush video. I too love the drums and the atmosphere of the song...a great one to end the album, IMO.

I, too am really pumped for CA! It and Fly From Here are the only new albums released by my fav bands since I've been a fan. It better be good! laugh.gif

QUOTE (alexlifeson- @ Sep 2 2011, 08:58 AM)

CA will be my first new Rush album as well. There's nothing like waiting for a new album to release for a while and then getting your hands on it for the first time and listening to it. Such a great feeling!

QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 2 2011, 01:01 PM)

bekloppt.gif Yep there's a few of us around here. And 'Mystic Rhythms' is exceptional.

I got Permanent Waves when it was fairly new. I got Moving Pictures when it first came out. By the time Signals arrived I had them all and the live albums. Grace Under Pressure was a challenge and then Power Windows was a let down and so was Hold Your Fire. It took years for me to finally appreciate how good those 80s albums are. Mystic Rhythms was always a favorite and the video is the best one from those days. Time will make a lot of things grow on you.

Nice choice,, Mystic Rhythms is a great song,, Personally i Power Windows is my favorite album of the 80s so to speak,, I enjoy the song because of the different beats and the lyrical content,

CA will be great to hear,, based off of BU2B,, i believe it will be great,,

I love the experimental songs they do,, Check out Losing it on Signals,, Tears on 2112,, Trees on Hemispheres ,, Tai Shan on Hold your Fire is interesting,, some people r divided on this lil number ,, but it is experimental,, and worth a listen too,,