geddy will never sing this good live . ever!!

reani14

all singers abilities change over time..age changes everything.

geddy's still got pipes!!

digital effect mixing boards can help Geddy too onstage when they play live!

on the last tour,, i thought the only song he struggled a lil bit was Limelight,, i went to that concert with a buddy who also saw the snakes and arrows tour, he said Geddy sounded much better now then in 07,, odd

overall i thought Geddy sounded great,, he nailed Marathon

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Aug 21 2011, 05:11 AM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Aug 21 2011, 12:30 AM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 20 2011, 07:53 PM)
Geddy Lee's voice has always been shitty.

Well, that comment is like a smouldering turd on a nice, grassy field.

Doesn't matter, he's got a point, regardless whether it's sarcasm or not.

He doesn't exactly sound like RJD, now does he?

I liked him better when he actually could sing, which would've been 82-2007.

Every hemisphere bootleg I have, he just is ALL over the place, and it makes it really uncomfortable to listen to. It is obvious that he had not taken singing lessons yet.

Who's RJD?

And while of course everyone has their own opinion (and Geddy's singing has many different opinion camps!), I'm still surprised to hear him described as a shitty singer. It's funny, when I was first exposed to Rush, I never thought about Geddy's voice as off-putting at all (and Hemispheres was my first intro!), though my Mom certainly didn't care for it.

But, of course, to each their own!

th1245.gif

QUOTE (nicole @ Aug 21 2011, 06:19 AM)

I really felt like he was using something on the HYF tour. There was a vast difference in his vocal quality from PoW to HYF. I'm convinced something happened between those albums. When you listen to ASOH, he sounds like a robot or something, his vocals are definitely being pumped through some sort of device on that tour, I always assumed to try and help smooth out his voice.

But it was the 80s, noone cared, that kind of silliness was pretty normal, but now I'm not sure it would fly. Could you imagine this board if he started singing through a machine to make his voice sound better? Total meltdown on this board if that happened.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 20 2011, 03:00 PM)
geddy's voice is still a-okay for me

then again i'm not a PICKY BITCH

HAHAHA rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Aug 22 2011, 05:21 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Aug 21 2011, 05:11 AM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Aug 21 2011, 12:30 AM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Aug 20 2011, 07:53 PM)
Geddy Lee's voice has always been shitty.

Well, that comment is like a smouldering turd on a nice, grassy field.

Doesn't matter, he's got a point, regardless whether it's sarcasm or not.

He doesn't exactly sound like RJD, now does he?

I liked him better when he actually could sing, which would've been 82-2007.

Every hemisphere bootleg I have, he just is ALL over the place, and it makes it really uncomfortable to listen to. It is obvious that he had not taken singing lessons yet.

Who's RJD?

And while of course everyone has their own opinion (and Geddy's singing has many different opinion camps!), I'm still surprised to hear him described as a shitty singer. It's funny, when I was first exposed to Rush, I never thought about Geddy's voice as off-putting at all (and Hemispheres was my first intro!), though my Mom certainly didn't care for it.

But, of course, to each their own!

th1245.gif

RJD = Ronnie James Dio

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 20 2011, 04:00 PM)
geddy's voice is still a-okay for me

then again i'm not a PICKY BITCH

laugh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 22 2011, 08:07 AM)
Could you imagine this board if he started singing through a machine to make his voice sound better? Total meltdown on this board if that happened.

Weren't the Replay videos Auto-tuned? Not at the show, and not in the original releases, but when they re-did them for Replay? A Show of Hands was one of those - is that the release you have?

Back to Geddy's voice - my first show was last year, and I was impressed enough with it (and everything about Rush) that I fell in love with them, which I think is telling.

Edited by 1 of the 7

I really felt like he was using something on the HYF tour. There was a vast difference in his vocal quality from PoW to HYF. I'm convinced something happened between those albums. When you listen to ASOH, he sounds like a robot or something, his vocals are definitely being pumped through some sort of device on that tour, I always assumed to try and help smooth out his voice.

But it was the 80s, noone cared, that kind of silliness was pretty normal, but now I'm not sure it would fly. Could you imagine this board if he started singing through a machine to make his voice sound better? Total meltdown on this board if that happened.

Actually, I think there was speculation that they autotuned Ged's vocals on the "Replay X 3" re-released version of ASOH. There was a long thread on here about this with clips from TSOR. I was hugely skeptical, but I checked my own DVD and I think there may be some truth to this. sad.gif There was one phrase in particular ("bright antenna?") where I think you really can hear the dreaded Cher autotune effect. sad.gif

Having said that, I don't remember ever hearing autotune evidence on any of their other live DVDs or ever hearing this live. I do think Ged sounded a little rough on TSOR (opening song) on the TM tour, but he settled very quickly into a pretty good vocal tone and pitch for the rest of the show. I think next tour they'll very likely pick an easier song (vocally) for Ged to warm up with, as TSOR is pretty tough.

EDIT: 1 or 7 beat me to it. cool.gif

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Aug 22 2011, 09:01 PM)

Actually, I think there was speculation that they autotuned Ged's vocals on the "Replay X 3" re-released version of ASOH. There was a long thread on here about this with clips from TSOR. I was hugely skeptical, but I checked my own DVD and I think there may be some truth to this. sad.gif There was one phrase in particular ("bright antenna?") where I think you really can hear the dreaded Cher autotune effect. sad.gif

Having said that, I don't remember ever hearing autotune evidence on any of their other live DVDs or ever hearing this live. I do think Ged sounded a little rough on TSOR (opening song) on the TM tour, but he settled very quickly into a pretty good vocal tone and pitch for the rest of the show. I think next tour they'll very likely pick an easier song (vocally) for Ged to warm up with, as TSOR is pretty tough.

EDIT: 1 or 7 beat me to it. cool.gif

2:40+

sad.gif

Geddy sings fine. Hell, he sounds better than he has in a while, IMO. He's older. We just have to deal with that, but it isn't degradation of quality that we're dealing with, only an aging voice.

I think he's adapted quite well. And when you factor in that they're playing as good as ever, and still progressing as musicians, there's nothing at all to worry about.

Age is natural, the fact that they have managed to keep the quality of their live performances of older songs as high as it is now is fantastic. They sound fantastic now, despite their age. By all means, you or anyone else shouldn't go see the shows anymore and suffer through it. That way the odds of me getting a better seat increase. It's win-win.

QUOTE (Mika @ Aug 24 2011, 12:59 AM)
QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Aug 23 2011, 06:08 PM)
Damn my spelling really sucked in my last post.    ph34r.gif

Ha ha, I had a giggle about your 'litter'! laugh.gif

Yeah, I thought it was a newfangled expression I hadn't heard yet...slipped a litter...jumped the shark...you know, one of those old.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 25 2011, 08:39 AM)
Page 3 of the thread, and the OP has not once responded.

Looks like the baiting was a success.....good job troll.

reani14 a troll? Nah. z7shysterical.gif