What's your overall opinion?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What's your overall opinion?

• Awesome
    • Great
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Sucky suck suck

It's been out about a week I think, but I just heard the new single from Blink-182 today. To me, it's an evolution of a great band... it blends a lot of the styles from Angels & Airwaves and +44. You can't be pushing 40 years old and still putting out the musical equivalent of dick & fart jokes, so it's great to see that they've gotten a little more sophisticated in their songwriting.

The most interesting thing about this song is, I think, that it sounds downright progressive. This isn't 3-chord party music, there's some real meat here.

Curious what you think.

They've got it up on YouTube:

The worlds most overrated drummer, bar none.

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 26 2011, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 26 2011, 11:46 AM)

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

OK, just listened. It's pretty good. I do like Angels and Airwaves stuff too even though Blink182 can be too juvenile.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jul 27 2011, 12:12 AM)
i wouldnt call this progressive even by mistake. i hate pop rock, so, by extension, i hate this song

You've got quite a hard-on for prog, don't you?

QUOTE (bigmoney2112 @ Jul 26 2011, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 26 2011, 11:46 AM)

goodpost.gif

"Hey, instead of listening to the song, let's make fun of the drummer! HURR"

I'm not gonna try and get into a drumming argument since I don't play drums, but can you at least give the guy credit for coming back and doing this after being severely burned in that plane crash? Personally, I think that warrants a bit of attention.

And FWIW, I like the song. Can't say it's mindblowing, but it's nice to hear Tom actually playing a guitar riff in a song, and I'm so glad that it doesn't sound like their older stuff. I have a feeling that the rest of the album is going to be better than this, though.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 29 2011, 01:32 AM)
i wouldnt call this progressive even by mistake. i hate pop rock, so, by extension, i hate this song

im a purist, thats all.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jul 29 2011, 08:25 AM)

im a purist, thats all.

Did you even listen to the song or did you dismiss it out of hand based on your ridged set of definitions of what's acceptable to you?

Because I thought that prog fans typically respect evolution and change in an artist, and this song represents that for this particular band. With the exception of the vocals - because yeah, it's the same two guys singing - this sounds nothing like the stuff they put out 15 years ago.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 29 2011, 12:53 PM)

im a purist, thats all.

Did you even listen to the song or did you dismiss it out of hand based on your ridged set of definitions of what's acceptable to you?

Because I thought that prog fans typically respect evolution and change in an artist, and this song represents that for this particular band. With the exception of the vocals - because yeah, it's the same two guys singing - this sounds nothing like the stuff they put out 15 years ago.

i can respect the evolution of an artist, of course, but they are not evolving in anything i like. The only real difference i can see, is that their early records were noisy pop, and this one is some kind of tranquile pop. I hate both kinds of pop.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jul 29 2011, 01:15 PM)

im a purist, thats all.

i can respect the evolution of an artist, of course, but they are not evolving in anything i like. The only real difference i can see, is that their early records were noisy pop, and this one is some kind of tranquile pop. I hate both kinds of pop.

Tranquil? Seriously? That song is not tranquil.

Like what you like, whatever... but I have nothing but disrespect for people that dismiss something without giving it a reasonable shot.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 29 2011, 03:37 PM)

im a purist, thats all.

Like what you like, whatever... but I have nothing but disrespect for people that dismiss something without giving it a reasonable shot.

i dont have an ultimate reason for not like them, i just hate pop, its so difficult to understand? is matter of taste, no more, no less.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jul 29 2011, 03:04 PM)

im a purist, thats all.

i dont have an ultimate reason for not like them, i just hate pop, its so difficult to understand? is matter of taste, no more, no less.

Actually, yes.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but yes, it really is that hard to understand. If you said "I hate Polka", that would make sense. If you said "I hate Country", that would make sense. The problem with "I hate Pop" is that that label is so general, so broad, that it cuts out probably 75% of the music produced in the past 50 years. It's everything from Elvis to the Bee Gees to Michael Jackson to Poison to Nickelback to Lady Gaga to Linkin Park. There is some element of "pop", "popularity" to those things. It's a genre that encompasses a hundred others.

In a world where Madonna's "Lucky Star" and U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" both fall under the "Pop/Rock" label, some examination of labels might be warranted.

You could say "I hate music" and it would make about as much sense to me.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 29 2011, 07:35 PM)

im a purist, thats all.

Actually, yes.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but yes, it really is that hard to understand. If you said "I hate Polka", that would make sense. If you said "I hate Country", that would make sense. The problem with "I hate Pop" is that that label is so general, so broad, that it cuts out probably 75% of the music produced in the past 50 years. It's everything from Elvis to the Bee Gees to Michael Jackson to Poison to Nickelback to Lady Gaga to Linkin Park. There is some element of "pop", "popularity" to those things. It's a genre that encompasses a hundred others.

In a world where Madonna's "Lucky Star" and U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" both fall under the "Pop/Rock" label, some examination of labels might be warranted.

it happens to be that i hate all those bands and "artists" you just mention. So, if i have to hate the 75% of all music in the last 50 years, so be it.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jul 29 2011, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 29 2011, 07:35 PM)

im a purist, thats all.

Actually, yes.

it happens to be that i hate all those bands and "artists" you just mention. So, if i have to hate the 75% of all music in the last 50 years, so be it.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/croatoan84/musickitty.jpg