Haken - New album in October

treeduck

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 30 2011, 07:54 PM)
Am I the only who finds this band unoriginal and uninspiring? What am I missing?
Listened to Visions a few times now, sounds like standard Prog-Metal to me...

I have mixed feelings about this band. I love metal, but I think this band would be better without it. The ending of Nocturnal Conspiracy and all of Deathless are some of the most beautiful songs I have heard in modern prog. But then they add metal and some cheesy keyboard parts or some up funky parts and it ruins the really beautiful sections (which I think are miles above stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X and heck even pain of salvation who are known for their beautiful stuff.) I wish they were a little more calm. I feel almost the same about riverside but I like riverside a tiny bit better, although hardly anything compares to Deathless, musically that is probably in my top 50 songs ever.

:bump:

Do you like this band mate?

Haven't had the pleasure as of yet TD. I read their description, it sounded damn interesting. Give 'em a shot very soon. I didn't like the DT comparison though :unsure:

Ok, I didn't pick up on the initial description about their DT similarity so much. I think you would like them. Oh you were the OP, I should've known :doh:

Edited by Steevo

I've listened to The Mountain a couple of times and liked it a lot. I kind of got tired of their first two albums after a while, but this one is great and will probably stay in rotation for a while. Cockroach King was my favorite... it's incredibly quirky and insane, kind of like a modern Gentle Giant song. They definitely scaled back the metal influences but I really like the direction they are going in. They seem to be developing their own identity and no longer deserve being called a DT-clone IMO.

I've listened to The Mountain a couple of times and liked it a lot. I kind of got tired of their first two albums after a while, but this one is great and will probably stay in rotation for a while. Cockroach King was my favorite... it's incredibly quirky and insane, kind of like a modern Gentle Giant song. They definitely scaled back the metal influences but I really like the direction they are going in. They seem to be developing their own identity and no longer deserve being called a DT-clone IMO.

Interesting, I still like the first two albums myself...

:hail:

This album is top notch, a great Prog album. Familiar but somehow fresh.

Highly recommended.

Wow Tony R is being positive about a band that I single handedly discovered playing tin whistle tribute hymns in a barn in Ipswich! :smoke:

This album is top notch, a great Prog album. Familiar but somehow fresh.

Highly recommended.

Wow Tony R is being positive about a band that I single handedly discovered playing tin whistle tribute hymns in a barn in Ipswich! :smoke:

Yeah you should join the fanboys who thought there was nothing wrong with the recording of Vapor Trails in Offyerhead USA.

You heard it yet? There's a killer Gentle Giant homage amongst the goodies.