Rolling Stone Readers Poll: The Best Prog

Lerxster

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 20 2011, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 20 2011, 09:31 PM)
but it's all that mattered with genesis

I mean, every yuppie had a copy of invisible touch in their walkman while they did their daily morning run at central park

facepalm.gif

Let's agree not to agree! wink.gif

Glad you got here first, RR. As an All-Eras Genesis fan, this bugs the sh1t out of me.

angry.gif

It took us Genesis fans a damn long time to even get the band nominated. When stupid Wenner finally gave in we were quite pleased. Genesis was inducted into the HoF for ALL of their work, from 1972-present. Yes, that's right... ALL of it. Deal.

As for Rush winning this RS poll.. color me amazed. After all, it IS Rolling Stone. sarcasm.gif

Not that the Boys don't deserve it.... 2.gif 1022.gif

Edited by HowItIs

must have killed them to admit this in print

I wonder who wrote up those little blurbs. They focus a bit too much on interband drama, not enough on band acheivements. I wonder if the author is actually a fan, or just looked up stuff on wikipedia. Knowing Rolling Stone, I am leaning towards the latter...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 20 2011, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 20 2011, 09:16 PM)
explain bon jovi being nominated

I had no idea they were! I dunno, Jann Wenner thinks they're cute? confused13.gif ............

That's freakin' FUNNY!! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 20 2011, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 20 2011, 09:03 PM)
genesis only got in cause of their 80s work

I think this is too cynical an opinion.

I think it's absolutely true. Had Genesis never had their ultra-popular 80's and early 90's period, they would be in exactly the same boat as Rush and Yes and King Crimson and Jethro Tull right now.

Honestly, do you think they'd get voted in for Supper's Ready? It's a nice thought, but it's really wishful thinking IMHO. Just because you and I know it's brilliant, it's still mastrubatory nonsense to the voting board of the RRHOF.

Sure in the end they might have gotten in for all of their history, but without the 80's stuff, no way.

All that said, it looks like respect for the great prog bands is starting to grow. Rush at #1 in the readers poll is a wonderful surprise. The fact that they'd send a reporter to drool over the band, as if RS didn't f*ck the band over for decades, is a shocking surprise. Gotta love revisionist history!

This could easily be the lead-in to a turning of the tides and eventual induction, but if it ever does happen, it will be because of fan pressure, and would probably happen with greatest begrudging reluctance the voting board has ever experienced.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2011, 07:19 AM)

I think it's absolutely true. Had Genesis never had their ultra-popular 80's and early 90's period, they would be in exactly the same boat as Rush and Yes and King Crimson and Jethro Tull right now.

Honestly, do you think they'd get voted in for Supper's Ready? It's a nice thought, but it's really wishful thinking IMHO. Just because you and I know it's brilliant, it's still mastrubatory nonsense to the voting board of the RRHOF.

Sure in the end they might have gotten in for all of their history, but without the 80's stuff, no way.

I have to agree with that. Rolling Stone mag and the RRHOF are fueled by popularity and record sales, with talent figuring in very little.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 21 2011, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2011, 07:19 AM)

I have to agree with that. Rolling Stone mag and the RRHOF are fueled by popularity and record sales, with talent figuring in very little.

I'm not saying commercial success isn't factored in, I'm only saying it's not the only reason an act is inducted. I'm not defending the RRHOF, but I really do think Genesis was inducted for its entire career. Peter Gabriel is highly respected as an artist and, in retrospect, that includes his "prog years" with Genesis.

Anyway, there are a good number of acts in the RRHOF that haven't sustained popularity and record sales, but they have been heavily influential and that's the main reason they were inducted.

All I know is, the fact the RRHOF has basically ignored an entire genre of popular music is a shame. Yes and Rush and Jethro Tull and ELP have sold a ton of records and have maintained high popularity. And that's not enough to get them in. I guess they're not "commercial" enough. Right?

well there's also the fact that all those prog groups were and still are basically shat on by critics

I read an old record guide by rolling stone magazine from around 1980 and every rush album had gotten one star except hemispheres, which had gotten a generous two stars, and all those other bands you mentioned were terribly made fun of and put down by critics and shit

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 21 2011, 05:23 PM)
well there's also the fact that all those prog groups were and still are basically shat on by critics

I read an old record guide by rolling stone magazine from around 1980 and every rush album had gotten one star except hemispheres, which had gotten a generous two stars, and all those other bands you mentioned were terribly made fun of and put down by critics and shit

I don't deny this, at all.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 21 2011, 05:24 PM)
and the reason unsuccessful bands like the stooges are in there is because rolling stone critics always liked them!

Rolling Stone magazine? Nah! Creem magazine, yes!

And I don't think the critics you speak of glowed over Invisible Touch.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 21 2011, 05:30 PM)
the fact that robert christgau and lester bangs didn't like something is enough to keep something out of the hall of fame I think

Apparently, not Genesis!

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 21 2011, 05:38 PM)
but genesis sold so many records in the 80s and that's why they got in.

The only reason? I really don't think so. There are too many inductees that didn't sell a shitload of records for me to believe that. "Illegal Alien" is not the reason Genesis was inducted.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 21 2011, 05:38 PM)
and genesis got several B's by mr. christgau

the same can't be said for any of those other bands except yes, who just happened to get lucky with fragile

Yeah, the more proggy stuff! Not Invisible Touch.

Prog bands were incredibly popular in the 1970s, selling lots of records and selling out lots of arenas.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 21 2011, 05:46 PM)
I'm aware that prog bands were popular, but peter frampton isn't in the hall of fame is he? popularity isn't the only reason you get in...it just was for genesis.

doh.gif