Rolling Stone Readers Poll: The Best Prog

Lerxster

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 20 2011, 07:58 PM)
don't get your hopes up

first-wave prog acts will likely have to get in before rush is even nominated

meaning we are gonna have to get king crimson, yes, and jethro tull in there

Pink Floyd and Genesis are in. It's not like I care too much, but I'm sick of the glaring slight and I'm tired of all the "Rush didn't make it again" talk for the 13th time. But, I digress..

signs015.gif

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 20 2011, 09:10 PM)
nah it's not

Yeah, it is. First, the non-Gabriel 70's albums are very good. That counts for something. And Peter Gabriel, overall, is very respected, even his time in Genesis. At the time, critics weren't into it, but in retrospect they are.

I'm not a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame admirer, but I do know more than commercial success is factored in when they admit someone.

I'm as big a fan Neil fan as anybody but he is not the greatest drummer on the planet. Like he said in his book there are at least 50 guys ahead of him but we don't judge drummers just on technicality therefore Neil is one of my favs. Especially in his younger years. It is his creativity and trademark style combined with chops that truly makes him great.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 20 2011, 09:15 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 20 2011, 09:10 PM)
nah it's not

Yeah, it is. First, the non-Gabriel 70's albums are very good. That counts for something. And Peter Gabriel, overall, is very respected, even his time in Genesis. At the time, critics weren't into it, but in retrospect they are.

I'm not a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame admirer, but I do know more than commercial success is factored in when they admit someone.

If they had stopped at Wind and Wuthering they never, ever would have gotten in. Had they only started with Abacab, they would have gotten in. IMO.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 20 2011, 09:16 PM)
explain bon jovi being nominated

I had no idea they were! I dunno, Jann Wenner thinks they're cute? confused13.gif

Did The Velvet Underground and The Stooges sell a lot of records?

I never said commercial success wasn't factored in, I simply said it's not the only thing factored in.

Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 20 2011, 09:27 PM)
the velvet underground and the stooges (both great bands imo) were masturbated upon by lester bangs and robert christgau, and if they liked a band, that's immediate induction into the fame. so nah, it's not like album sales are ALL that matters

Exactly my point!

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 20 2011, 09:31 PM)
but it's all that mattered with genesis

I mean, every yuppie had a copy of invisible touch in their walkman while they did their daily morning run at central park

facepalm.gif

Let's agree not to agree! wink.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 20 2011, 09:33 PM)

I mean, every yuppie had a copy of invisible touch in their walkman while they did their daily morning run at central park

facepalm.gif

Let's agree not to agree! wink.gif

laugh.gif applaudit.gif

That was/is me. [except for the yuppie...and the central park...and the running...and morning]

Invisible Touch was the first album I ever bought. I listened that thing to death. Still love the album.