Best superhero portrayal in film?

JohnnyBlaze

Who did the best job portraying their character?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who did the best job portraying their character?

• Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man
    • Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
    • Hugh Jackman as Logan/Wolverine
    • Patrick Stewart as Professor X
    • Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman
    • Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach
    • Chris Hemsworth as Thor
    • Edward Norton as Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk
    • Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman
    • Other

This isn't about which was the best film (though obviously that would influence your vote to a large degree). My question is which actor did the best job portraying that character? I intentionally didn't include supervillains simply because there'd likely be an overwhelming majority (and understandably so) going with Heath Ledger as The Joker. I also didn't include the obvious "no"s such as Jennifer Garner as Elektra. So what say you?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good poll. I'll have to give this some thought, as there are a few I could vote for right now.

I like that you included Jackie Earle Haley's Rorschach -- I thought his was the most interesting performance in "Watchmen."

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 17 2011, 02:24 PM)
Good poll. I'll have to give this some thought, as there are a few I could vote for right now.

I like that you included Jackie Earle Haley's Rorschach -- I thought his was the most interesting performance in "Watchmen."

trink39.gif

Yeah, this isn't an easy vote for me either. Christopher Reeve was pretty much perfect as was Jackie Earle Haley's Rorschach. Then you have Robert Downey Jr. and Hugh Jackman that fit much better than I had expected. Patrick Stewart...he just IS Professor X. Christian Bale...I can believe that he can kick someone's ass despite not having any super-powers. Hmm...thinking... trink38.gif

Holy shit you guys! This Forum is POLL CRAZY!!!!

I don't tire from it at all! They are fun to write and to read!

You have touched a nerve with me being a 43 year old dude.

I really think Christopher Reeve does the best Superman.

I love Hugh as the Wolverine too. Perfect casting.

I have to go old school and pick Christopher though.

I loved Reeve in John Carpenter's remake of "Village Of The Damed."

R.I.P. 1022.gif

Toby Maguire did an outstanding job with Spiderman imho. I voted for him. Robert Downy Jr. is the perfect role for Iron Man/Tony Stark too. Christen Bale was ok as Batman. Batman is my favorite hero of all time, but Bale's voice got on my nerves.

I would have to go with Christopher Reeve. He pretty much IS Superman, to the extent that some Superman issues now draw Supes to look just like Chris.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5234/supermanonkrypton.jpg

And after that I'd say Patrick Stewart as Professor X, that was an inspired bit of casting if ever there was any...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 16 2011, 11:51 PM)
I would have to go with Christopher Reeve. He pretty much IS Superman, to the extent that some Superman issues now draw Supes to look just like Chris.

And after that I'd say Patrick Stewart as Professor X, that was an inspired bit of casting if ever there was any...

Well said Pat.

I agree with Patrick Stewart too in the X-Men. Although I hate The Next Generation.

He was the best actor in that shit TV series. JMO

Nothing can touch the original Star Trek series and I'm a Star Wars guy.

Christopher Reeve was the Man.

Anyway when I was a kid I really loved Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno as The Incredible Hulk.

I think those two movies made by Hollywood are pure green SHIT.

I liked Tobey in the first Spiderman, but after that he was absolutely horrible.

So was Dunst.

I was so excited to see "Spiderman III" because of Venom and that movie is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made.

It was more like a musical than a superhero movie.

Sam Raimi needs to go back to his "Evil Dead" flicks and do another sequel with Bruce Campbell!!

"DEAD BY DAWN!"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 17 2011, 04:02 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 16 2011, 11:51 PM)

Well said Pat.

I agree with Patrick Stewart too in the X-Men. Although I hate The Next Generation.

He was the best actor in that shit TV series. JMO

Nothing can touch the original Star Trek series and I'm a Star Wars guy.

Christopher Reeve was the Man.

Anyway when I was a kid I really loved Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno as The Incredible Hulk.

I think those two movies made by Hollywood are pure green SHIT.

Yeah Earl the original Star Trek series is the best and I think if you compare the films the first six are better than any TNG films too, TNG just didn't translate to the big screen.

The Hulk films were weak, and what the hell was Nick Nolte supposed to be in one of them??

Lou and Bill own Ed Norton and co...

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 17 2011, 04:06 AM)
I liked Tobey in the first Spiderman, but after that he was absolutely horrible.
So was Dunst.

I was so excited to see "Spiderman III" because of Venom and that movie is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made.

It was more like a musical than a superhero movie.

Sam Raimi needs to go back to his "Evil Dead" flicks and do another sequel with Bruce Campbell!!

"DEAD BY DAWN!"

Toby and Dunst were shit choices for Spiderman, neither are anything like any of the Marvel comics versions. I enjoyed the first Spidey film, but treated it as an alternate universe spidey story like in one of those "What if?" Marvel issues...

This one is really hard to choose!!!

RD Jr. made me leave the theater wanting to be Tony Stark.

TM was the perfect wimp to play Spidey.

HJ had the best look for Wolverine.

PS as mentioned before IS Dr. X.

CB...Good but I just don't see HIM as Batman.

JEH was perfect and seemed destined to be Rorschach.

CH...haven't seen Thor.

EN good job but too young to be The Hulk.

CR...Well he simply was Superman.

The advantage of playing a super hero from the comics is that the character is already on complete display for you to simply imitate with little left for interpretation, which could also be a disadvantage but if I have to vote for who brought the character to life as close to what the comics depict, I'm voting Jackie Earl Haley.

I'm going with the man who set the bar - Christopher Reeve. I don't think the original Superman movies aged very well, but Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman gave timeless performances. They basically showed everyone how it should be done.

As far as villains go, Hackman's Lex Luthor is second only to Ledger's Joker, in my book.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jul 17 2011, 09:39 AM)
i voted other, because although Christian is a good Batman, Michael Keaton was wayyyy better.

Well, they're different. Christian has a better look for the millionaire Bruce Wayne persona, but Michael was just more fun to watch, more personality. Plus, no weird voice.. lol but i am torn. Batman Returns and the Dark Knight are two of my most favorite movies.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jul 17 2011, 04:45 PM)
i voted other, because although Christian is a good Batman, Michael Keaton was wayyyy better.

Well, they're different. Christian has a better look for the millionaire Bruce Wayne persona, but Michael was just more fun to watch, more personality. Plus, no weird voice.. lol but i am torn. Batman Returns and the Dark Knight are two of my most favorite movies.

Of course, neither of them is Adam West laugh.gif

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jul 17 2011, 12:47 PM)

Or Bicycle Repairman.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Bicycle-Repairman.jpg

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 17 2011, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jul 17 2011, 12:47 PM)

Or Bicycle Repairman.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Bicycle-Repairman.jpg

applaudit.gif

Why! He's mending it with his own hands!

See! How he uses a spanner to tighten that nut!

Touch one. In my mind, Downey, Stewart and Reeve were perfect in their roles. My vote goes to Downey because there were times where Stewart seemed to copy/paste his reactions to events while Downy becomes a very dynamic character while portraying Iron Man. He makes Tony Stark seem real.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jul 17 2011, 06:54 AM)
This one is really hard to choose!!!

RD Jr. made me leave the theater wanting to be Tony Stark.

TM was the perfect wimp to play Spidey.

HJ had the best look for Wolverine.

PS as mentioned before IS Dr. X.

CB...Good but I just don't see HIM as Batman.

JEH was perfect and seemed destined to be Rorschach.

CH...haven't seen Thor.

EN good job but too young to be The Hulk.

CR...Well he simply was Superman.

The advantage of playing a super hero from the comics is that the character is already on complete display for you to simply imitate with little left for interpretation, which could also be a disadvantage but if I have to vote for who brought the character to life as close to what the comics depict, I'm voting Jackie Earl Haley.

I just watched Iron Man and change my vote to RD Jr.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2011, 11:14 AM)
I'm going with the man who set the bar - Christopher Reeve. I don't think the original Superman movies aged very well, but Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman gave timeless performances. They basically showed everyone how it should be done.

As far as villains go, Hackman's Lex Luthor is second only to Ledger's Joker, in my book.

I'm surprised at all the Chris Reeve love.

Can't stand his portrayal of Superman. He's so annoying that I find myself rooting for the villains. Plus, in the one where he stopped the Earth's rotation and reversed it he should have actually become the biggest villain the world has ever seen. From the mid-latitudes to the equator the earth is spinning at approximately 700-1,000 mph. when he stopped the Earth everything would have continued to travel at that speed. People would have been thrown through buildings and killed in the millions if not billions. The only safe places would have been near the poles where the earth is spinning more slowly or not at all. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.