Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

An Enemy Without

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 18 2011, 09:41 AM)
This is one of the few movies I actually would like to go back to see again. My wife has occasional vertigo so she doesn't like the 3D... my son and I want to go see it in 3D!!

Was the 3D cool? I can imagine the ride thru Gringotts would be pretty awesome in 3D

I saw the ending in 3D and while it wasn't so much the effects that really stood out (there wasn't so much of the THINGS BURSTING OUT OF THE SCREEN as there has been in other 3D films) I must say that the picture was really, really clear and really nice. Even just random scene shots of a landscape or something were crystal-clear and it gave a whole new dimension to even simple shots.

If you don't mind spending the money (just skip out on that $6 popcorn and smuggle your own in) I'd say it's worth it if you have a big appreciation for filmography. All it really comes down to is, is it worth it to you.

But here's a tip: Look at local theatres and see if they have discounted days (like here there are $5 Tuesdays, just pay the surcharge for 3D), matinee pricing, et cetera, especially since you've already seen it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 18 2011, 11:30 AM)
This is one of the few movies I actually would like to go back to see again. My wife has occasional vertigo so she doesn't like the 3D... my son and I want to go see it in 3D!!

Was the 3D cool? I can imagine the ride thru Gringotts would be pretty awesome in 3D

I saw the ending in 3D and while it wasn't so much the effects that really stood out (there wasn't so much of the THINGS BURSTING OUT OF THE SCREEN as there has been in other 3D films) I must say that the picture was really, really clear and really nice. Even just random scene shots of a landscape or something were crystal-clear and it gave a whole new dimension to even simple shots.

If you don't mind spending the money (just skip out on that $6 popcorn and smuggle your own in) I'd say it's worth it if you have a big appreciation for filmography. All it really comes down to is, is it worth it to you.

But here's a tip: Look at local theatres and see if they have discounted days (like here there are $5 Tuesdays, just pay the surcharge for 3D), matinee pricing, et cetera, especially since you've already seen it.

Luckily by us - it's only $7 for a 3D movie on Sat afternoon ($6 for 2D)

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jul 18 2011, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 18 2011, 11:30 AM)

Luckily by us - it's only $7 for a 3D movie on Sat afternoon ($6 for 2D)

I saw the 3D version. I didn't see it in 2D to compare, but watching the movie in 3D was excellent. Like CM said, it's not about the 'come right at you' effects. Yet overall it was a very pleasurable viewing experience in 3D. Technologically speaking, they really have come to where they need to be for natural/comfortable 3D moving watching. I love it.

And btw - the price of the movies by us is twice the amount you've mentioned. Sheesh! laugh.gif

Holy Shit, this movie has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes..... and that's base off of over 200 aggregated reviews!!

I think every Potter movie has scored a "Fresh" rating over there (above 60% for those not familiar with Rotten Tomatoes) but no Potter movie has scored 90% or above.

Anyhoo, got a ticket for a 9:50 screening tonight... EXCITED as a hippogriff with a dead ferret!!!!

Okay, went too far with that analogy.....

Very, Very well done movie, probably the best of the series....

Biggest Praise I have: Snape's Memory scene was stellar, Alan Rickman did an excellent job throughout the film, but this scene in particular was phenomenal... Yippie Ki yay Harry Potter

Biggest Gripe: Not a big gripe but I hate that Fred Weasley did not have an on screen death, as he did in the books. (well... I guess "on page" would be the proper term?).

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 19 2011, 01:30 AM)
Very, Very well done movie, probably the best of the series....

Biggest Praise I have: Snape's Memory scene was stellar, Alan Rickman did an excellent job throughout the film, but this scene in particular was phenomenal... Yippie Ki yay Harry Potter

Biggest Gripe: Not a big gripe but I hate that Fred Weasley did not have an on screen death, as he did in the books. (well... I guess "on page" would be the proper term?).

Agree, and agree.

I also thought the showdown between Molly and Bellatrix could have been more intense. Not a big complaint, but just a little.

QUOTE (how it ought to be @ Jul 20 2011, 01:22 AM)
Well I'm a total sap so this was my favorite moment

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv182/Sarcastrow/dh2_articles_2011screen_0002.jpg
in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes

Audience in my auditorium had the best reaction to that scene.

So, so, so much said between those two characters in just that few-second shot.

It makes me grin like a fool just thinking about it.

Everyone knew that Neville was amazing all along. |D

God that was SO GOOD. I was about to cry throughout most of it...

Especially when Remus died sad.gif I read the books so I knew what to expect... but still...

I really appreciated the comic relief. Also the people in the theatre went apesh*t when Molly killed Bellatrix, which was priceless laugh.gif

Edited by Earthshine Emmeline

I loved it, saw it last Sunday. Teared up during the Snape scene...It was awesome.

QUOTE (Earthshine Emmeline @ Jul 20 2011, 04:36 PM)
God that was SO GOOD. I was about to cry throughout most of it...

Especially when Remus died sad.gif I read the books so I knew what to expect... but still...

I really appreciated the comic relief. Also the people in the theatre went apesh*t when Molly killed Bellatrix, which was priceless laugh.gif

YES! Major cheering point!

I'm going to see this again on Saturday, this time in 3D. (Yay, free tickets!)

I keep rereading the book and I keep getting a tiny bit more upset every time I read something and I'm like, "Oh, I think they left that out! And they changed this! And this!" Like... (SPOILER)

I was pretty much amped up on adrenaline opening night, but did they leave out the scene in Snape's memories where he and Dumbledore are on the hilltop, and Snape is begging him to hide Lily and her family from Voldemort.. something along those lines, page 676, Ch. 33. I thought that was a really, really powerful scene.

But I have other, little gripes.

Like the final duel. But I won't rehash that rant. xD

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 21 2011, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine Emmeline @ Jul 20 2011, 04:36 PM)
God that was SO GOOD. I was about to cry  throughout most of it...

I really appreciated the comic relief. Also the people in the theatre went apesh*t when Molly killed Bellatrix, which was priceless  laugh.gif

YES! Major cheering point!

I'm going to see this again on Saturday, this time in 3D. (Yay, free tickets!)

I keep rereading the book and I keep getting a tiny bit more upset every time I read something and I'm like, "Oh, I think they left that out! And they changed this! And this!" Like... (SPOILER)

I was pretty much amped up on adrenaline opening night, but did they leave out the scene in Snape's memories where he and Dumbledore are on the hilltop, and Snape is begging him to hide Lily and her family from Voldemort.. something along those lines, page 676, Ch. 33. I thought that was a really, really powerful scene.

**SPOILER**

I know - why the final duel was changed from the book makes no sense to me? Was it too difficult to film as it was written? I can let a lot of the little things go, but the final duel and the Elder Wand thing really annoyed me... why was that changed? I would have been more than fine with 5 more minutes for the proper Elder Wand burial with Dumbledore.

I found it.

A GIF.

Of the awkward hug.

(This is kinda sorta a spoiler so...)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lod8rpuCvj1qg1ywho1_500.gif

/dies laughing

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!

good lord...wept almost throughout, seriously. But I cheered and my heart leapt and I was so. damn. satisfied.

NEVILLE IS A FREAKIN GAWD!

Freds death, while I really was sweating seeing it onscreen, could have been expanded a little more.

My favorite moments ->

Draco's hesitation...I loved him immensely for that.

NEVILLE! are you KIDDING! kick. ASS!

Harry steps out from the crowd to confront Snape.

Luna...her authority to Harry, her "submission" to Neville. Dichotomy, lovely.

THE PRINCES TALE...good grief, I was a sobbing mess throughout from Snapes attack to the point where Harry sinks to the steps in realization. How awful all, how wonderfully revealing.

I was far enough away from the book not to notice the missing parts...I was happy, and satisfied with the whole experience. smile.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 16 2011, 01:59 AM)
Okay, was anyone else upset - more than a little - with the whole Elder Wand dealio at the end? I liked it much better in the book where Harry repaired his original wand with the Elder Wand and then basically hid it for all eternity instead of FREAKING SNAPPING IT. xD
Also I was mad because they left out the whole explanation of why Dumbledore having maybe killed his own sister. I thought that was huge for character development.. or maybe I just felt they didn't touch on that enough.
And finally I was a bit disappointed with the final duel between Harry and Voldemort. I really liked the suspense builder in the book where they were just circling each other, kind of arguing back and forth, Harry practically begging Voldemort to feel some kind of remorse because "I've seen what you'll become," in the protagonist's words, and how they did that not alone but in front of all the Death Eaters and the Hogwarts defenders.

However, I must say this:
Alan Rickman played out the parts involving Snape's memories so beautifully. It was at that point I just started BAWLING. So, so, so heartbreaking. Major kudos to him.

I agree with all of this, actually! Although, I wasn't terribly disappointed at the final battle.

Molly Weasley taking out Bellatrix was the most badass special effect of the movie. LOVED THAT.

QUOTE (how it ought to be @ Jul 20 2011, 02:22 AM)
Well I'm a total sap so this was my favorite moment

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv182/Sarcastrow/dh2_articles_2011screen_0002.jpg
in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes

yes.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jul 21 2011, 01:45 PM)

laugh.gif

I remember feeling the exact same way about the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It took me a long time to get over the whole omission of Tom Bombadil. And I then I picked at all the little details and things that got switched.

I bet if Rowling could read this thread she'd probably laugh, but also have a feeling of satisfaction that people around the world loved her story so much that they would avidly defend it on a message board.

Edited by Rush Cocky

No they didnt leave that out...Snape begged for Lily's life.

I liked the final duel, I'm totally ok with it.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 26 2011, 01:13 PM)

No they didnt leave that out...Snape begged for Lily's life.

I liked the final duel, I'm totally ok with it.

Yeah I just realized that when I went back to watch the movie again. D: My bad.

But I could've sworn it was missing..

..or maybe I was thinking about their little scuffle outside of the Gryffindor Common Room. wacko.gif