Tremonti played entire new VH album

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 5 2011, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 5 2011, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 3 2011, 11:24 PM)
QUOTE (coolphantom190 @ Jul 3 2011, 07:06 PM)
This is going to be good! It will be interesting to see how it sounds! DLR is back in it, but Michael Anthony isn't.... So, it isn't exactly like old-school Van Halen! Ha ha!

Exactly, MA is a huge part of the old school sound.

This.

Plus, how can it be old school if Ted Templemann is not producing?

Oh good lord.

Yes, a riff/song/melody/structure can't be old school because it was not processed through Templeman. biggrin.gif

Templemann produced 100% of the old school albums.

Just sayin'.

That's true, but I don't think that's as critical as the music itself. F.U.C.K. was also produced by Templeman -- and sounded great -- but still in no way would ever be confused with a DLR-era album, material wise. I think it's more important for these DLR songs to legitimately sound DLR-era first and foremost. Just my opinion.

I honestly think that will happen. I realize the vast amounts of real and palpable doubt surrounding this thing. biggrin.gif It's been 13 years since any album and it's largely agreed upon that that one sucked (III). Balance before it also was the subject of mixed reviews, so indeed you have to go back 20 years to get back to a Van Halen album that many contend was worth a damn. (Opinions vary, certainly). Beyond that, it's been 27 years (!!) since the last full album with David Lee Roth. (How old does THAT make you feel??)

So naturally even the most optimistic of us have reason to tread gingerly.

Still I really suspect this is going to surprise some people. I really don't think expectation could be much lower for some, as hopeful as others are that it's a return to form. I think very few people overall really are banking on this being a great record.

I think we're collectively underestimating their potential even if we've reason to doubt.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 5 2011, 12:37 PM)
I'm actually a tiny bit excited about this, though I'd be alot more excited if Michael Anthony was involved.

This, except I'm very excited about a new album. MA's background vocals are a huge part of what made VH songs so great. If no one in the band can handle those (and I doubt they can) I'd prefer they have back up singers record the album and tour.

While I enjoy all of VH's stuff, except III, the band fronted by Dave is both harder and more fun. Kudos to the band for not going the Ozzy era Sabbath route and claiming that they won't record an album because they don't want to "tarnish" the image of classic VH.

I think this is going to be great. Eddie and Dave need this album to be great, so I think they'll accomplish that.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jul 5 2011, 01:04 PM)
I'm actually a tiny bit excited about this, though I'd be alot more excited if Michael Anthony was involved.

This, except I'm very excited about a new album. MA's background vocals are a huge part of what made VH songs so great. If no one in the band can handle those (and I doubt they can) I'd prefer they have back up singers record the album and tour.

While I enjoy all of VH's stuff, except III, the band fronted by Dave is both harder and more fun. Kudos to the band for not going the Ozzy era Sabbath route and claiming that they won't record an album because they don't want to "tarnish" the image of classic VH.

I think this is going to be great. Eddie and Dave need this album to be great, so I think they'll accomplish that.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 5 2011, 11:37 AM)

Me too. Except that in all likelihood it wouldn't be made at all if Wolfie wasn't in the fold. In fact, probably nothing at all would've happened, including the '07 tour, this coming album, the shows scheduled for September and October, and the tour to follow in later '11 and '12. It's a bit ironic that the fat kid is often pointed out for being the problem when it's very arguable that the only reason they're doing anything at all (versus nothing) is because of him...

It's difficult when things aren't perfect world all the time, I concur. But 3/4 VH with Roth is still better to me than Edward sitting around like a hermit not doing anything at all, except furthering his meth addiction.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jul 5 2011, 12:04 PM)

That's my instinct too. It's a bit transcended my "hope" to be what I believe as well.

Edited by Presto-digitation

We're talking about a high caliber of talent with Eddie Van Halen. It's been over a decade since new material was released. He had to come up with several good songs in the past ten years. Had to!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing this album. I'm leaving it at that...

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 5 2011, 02:52 PM)
We're talking about a high caliber of talent with Eddie Van Halen. It's been over a decade since new material was released. He had to come up with several good songs in the past ten years. Had to!

Part of the problem for me is that , if these stories are true, they are using demos from probably over 30 years ago...I really think the tank went dry on Eddie many,many years ago.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jul 5 2011, 06:50 PM)

Part of the problem for me is that , if these stories are true, they are using demos from probably over 30 years ago...I really think the tank went dry on Eddie many,many years ago.

Supposedly taking them and working new songs out of them. I don't think they're literally mining demos note-for-note, according to Tremonti's quote.

It's really a damned if you do and don't type thing. If they go all "new" then you risk getting something like VH III that gets panned and the first thing people say is, "Why couldn't DLR's first new album with them in nearly 30 years have a cool vintage VH sound?" Then you go back to some unused tunes for this riff or that -- or even just for inspiration -- and suddenly you're unoriginal.

It's a bit of a catch-22.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 5 2011, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jul 5 2011, 06:50 PM)

Supposedly taking them and working new songs out of them. I don't think they're literally mining demos note-for-note, according to Tremonti's quote.

It's really a damned if you do and don't type thing. If they go all "new" then you risk getting something like VH III that gets panned and the first thing people say is, "Why couldn't DLR's first new album with them in nearly 30 years have a cool vintage VH sound?" Then you go back to some unused tunes for this riff or that -- or even just for inspiration -- and suddenly you're unoriginal.

It's a bit of a catch-22.

I really hope it's a good album. Like I said, I can only think there is a wealth of material, old and new, to work with. Old school Van Halen, I don't care, I want good Van Halen.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 5 2011, 09:13 AM)
That's true, but I don't think that's as critical as the music itself. F.U.C.K. was also produced by Templeman -- and sounded great -- but still in no way would ever be confused with a DLR-era album, material wise. I think it's more important for these DLR songs to legitimately sound DLR-era first and foremost. Just my opinion.

I honestly think that will happen. I realize the vast amounts of real and palpable doubt surrounding this thing. biggrin.gif It's been 13 years since any album and it's largely agreed upon that that one sucked (III). Balance before it also was the subject of mixed reviews, so indeed you have to go back 20 years to get back to a Van Halen album that many contend was worth a damn. (Opinions vary, certainly). Beyond that, it's been 27 years (!!) since the last full album with David Lee Roth. (How old does THAT make you feel??)

Still I really suspect this is going to surprise some people. I really don't think expectation could be much lower for some, as hopeful as others are that it's a return to form. I think very few people overall really are banking on this being a great record.

I think we're collectively underestimating their potential even if we've reason to doubt.

Rush and VH has something in common.....it's been 26 years since Rush has put out a great album, and 27 since Van Halen has......

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 5 2011, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 5 2011, 09:13 AM)
That's true, but I don't think that's as critical as the music itself.  F.U.C.K. was also produced by Templeman -- and sounded great -- but still in no way would ever be confused with a DLR-era album, material wise.  I think it's more important for these DLR songs to legitimately sound DLR-era first and foremost.  Just my opinion.

I honestly think that will happen.  I realize the vast amounts of real and palpable doubt surrounding this thing.  biggrin.gif  It's been 13 years since any album and it's largely agreed upon that that one sucked (III).  Balance before it also was the subject of mixed reviews, so indeed you have to go back 20 years to get back to a Van Halen album that many contend was worth a damn.  (Opinions vary, certainly).  Beyond that, it's been 27 years (!!) since the last full album with David Lee Roth.  (How old does THAT make you feel??)

Still I really suspect this is going to surprise some people.  I really don't think expectation could be much lower for some, as hopeful as others are that it's a return to form.  I think very few people overall really are banking on this being a great record. 

Rush and VH has something in common.....it's been 26 years since Rush has put out a great album, and 27 since Van Halen has......

z7shysterical.gif sarcasm.gif eyesre4.gif

I have always felt that Dave's performance on the new album is the biggest wild card. We all know he doesn't sound like he used to--and forget about his screams of old. Eddie's music will have enough enthusiasm and creativity, Al will pound the shit out of the skins, and they can get by without MA--his vocals were sparse on 1984. Can't wait for this one!