Giving HYF another shot

Rush Cocky

I think it's a strong enough album--there are really only two tracks I feel are a bit underwhelming--"Second Nature" never feels like it gets going and turns into something, and "Tai Shan" is kinda like that--well-intentioned, doesn't do much for me.

Then there's that middle tier of stuff that I'd listen to if I'm in the mood for it--"Prime Mover," "High Water," "Mission"--but aren't what I would call the essential tracks.

Those would be "Force Ten," "Time Stand Still," "Open Secrets," "Lock and Key," "Turn the Page" really--stuff that I'm always happy to listen to when it comes up on shuffle.

I don't know--to use a baseball metaphor there are for me always grand slams, home runs, a few fouls, and the rare strikeout on Rush albums to me.

In the other thread where I did my analysis of skip songs, I only picked 2 from HYF....Second Nature and Mission. Never did really get those two tracks. Best tracks for me are Time Stand Still, Turn The Page, and Force Ten. Allt he others are somewhere in the middle, not great, but not skippable either.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 21 2011, 10:33 AM)
Test for Echo proves that you can have no synthesizers and produce some of the most boring music.

In other words, synths don't make or break a good album.

Synth does not make or break an album, you are correct. I'd say MP had the perfect blend of guitar and synth.

But to say TFE is boring? facepalm.gif And there are some synths on that albums as well, but not many.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 21 2011, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jun 21 2011, 08:05 AM)
I heard an interview where Geddy said that his parts were finished first and so Alex had to find places to fit in.  I think it was a Rockline interview so it may exist out there somewhere.

yes.gif

That sounds EXACTLY how it was recorded. Unfortunately.

I'm just wrapping up listening to it again, and while I can appreciate the album a lot more, it's not really enough to move it up on my list of Rush albums. The stuff above it is just too strong. Hence it remains 14th out of 18 for me. Or 19, if you count Feedback.

I get what they (Geddy?) were going for on the album. My first thought when I heard it on its original release was "They finally have that grand sound they've been trying to capture over the past few albums". But so many other bands had already done that sound so much better...

Was glad to hear them back as more of a power trio on Presto.

nothing wrong with the synths on HYF, they're used tastefully. I agree, the production is a bit thin, but the quality songwriting and energetic performance makes up for it. Hold Your Fire was my avatar for about 4 years, i'll defend it to the death! 1287.gif

Amazing the wide range of likes and dislikes on this great album.

Mission IMO is one of the great Rush songs of all time. Inspiring. The outro solo (especially live) is goos bump inducing.

The lyrics are some of my all time favorites from Neil. The bridge is sick musically.

AWESOME.

The thing I like most about the "synth period" is that, out of necessity, it forced Alex to come up with different ways to use guitar and color for these song arrangements. ESPECIALLY on HYF. Maybe they're not to the "RAWK" audiences' liking. Oh well. I think what he came up with is brilliant and perfect.

Lucky for me, not everything has to rawk all the time.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jun 22 2011, 01:31 PM)
The thing I like most about the "synth period" is that, out of necessity, it forced Alex to come up with different ways to use guitar and color for these song arrangements. ESPECIALLY on HYF. Maybe they're not to the "RAWK" audiences' liking. Oh well. I think what he came up with is brilliant and perfect.

I absolutely agree. On this album and Power Windows, the guitar parts are so intricate and creative. And perfect. heart.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 20 2011, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 20 2011, 05:21 PM)
No. Don't do it, look away and run like hell . Your ears will thank me for it later

rofl3.gif

Too late!

The drum riffs at the end of Lock and Key are pretty kickass, I had forgotten about that.

Like I said, Neil most definitely did his part on Hold Your Fire, and so that keeps this one a good distance from the cellar.

Lock and key is awesome. the ending is phenominal

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 22 2011, 06:35 AM)
Amazing the wide range of likes and dislikes on this great album.

Mission IMO is one of the great Rush songs of all time. Inspiring. The outro solo (especially live) is goos bump inducing.

The lyrics are some of my all time favorites from Neil. The bridge is sick musically.

AWESOME.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 22 2011, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Jun 22 2011, 01:31 PM)
The thing I like most about the "synth period" is that, out of necessity, it forced Alex to come up with different ways to use guitar and color for these song arrangements.  ESPECIALLY on HYF.  Maybe they're not to the "RAWK" audiences' liking. Oh well.  I think what he came up with is brilliant and perfect. 

I absolutely agree. On this album and Power Windows, the guitar parts are so intricate and creative. And perfect. heart.gif

^^this. Some of Alex's best playing is from this period. his solo in emotion detector is one of my favorites. and EVERYTHING about his playing in middletown dreams is amazing...that opening/closing chord never fails to give me chills.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jun 22 2011, 08:58 PM)

If i want a good synth album i'll play Signals or GUP

Bingo

I've always found the synths in Signals and GUP to be more intrusive to the music than in the two albums after. I think Countdown would have been far better off without as much synth - I'd love to hear a rework of that song to see what they could really do with it. To me the synths in Power Windows and Hold Your Fire sound like they're playing a more integral role in the music, and less of an afterthought.

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jun 23 2011, 04:33 PM)
I've always found the synths in Signals and GUP to be more intrusive to the music than in the two albums after. I think Countdown would have been far better off without as much synth - I'd love to hear a rework of that song to see what they could really do with it. To me the synths in Power Windows and Hold Your Fire sound like they're playing a more integral role in the music, and less of an afterthought.

See, I think its the other way around. But hey everyone is different and that's why i love these forums, everyone has their own opinion.

Edited by Xanadude69