Are you ready for the best meatballs ever?

Ok, for like the last 2 years (seriously, 2 years) I have been experimenting with making meatballs. I started with my grandmother's recipe... great recipe but left the meatballs a little dry. Watching Tyler's Ultimate, Barefoot Contessa and Good Eats on the Food Network, I have come up with a hybrid using elements from all 4 to come up with the best meatball I have ever eaten, anywhere.

3 lb ground Chuck (I start with this because 3lb value packs sold at my grocery store)

1.5 lb bulk Italian sausage

1 C Italian bread crumbs

1/2 - 3/4 C milk

1/4 cup Parmesan and/or Romano cheese (I use both)

1-2 TB sauteed garlic

1 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil

2 eggs

1/2 tsp kosher salt

black pepper to taste

crushed red pepper to taste (obviously can omit totally if desired)

Preheat over to 400

mix bread crumbs and milk... should be quite soupy at first, but by the time the garlic is ready, is should be a very thick paste once the breadcrumbs absorb the milk.

saute the garlic in the olive oil, when done - mix garlic and oil into the breadcrumb mixture.

add cheese and eggs, mix until well incorporated. This should loosen the breadcrumb mixture to a pancake batter consistency.

add salt and pepper and meat

mix well by hand until uniform consistency

Roll into golf ball sized meatballs and place in baking dish (or dishes) - I use 2 13x9 glass baking dished and they fit perfectly in them.

Bake until golden brown, and the internal temp is at least 155.

• Like 1

sounds great...gonna have to try it. Looks like that makes a ton of meatballs?

One of the things I do sometimes is to cook the meatballs in the sauce instead of frying or in the oven. They add a nice flavor to the sauce.

Edited by RushNut

Excellent! I make good meatballs, but I'm always looking to make better! 1022.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 15 2011, 08:54 AM)
sounds great...gonna have to try it. Looks like that makes a ton of meatballs?

One of the things I do sometimes is to cook the meatballs in the sauce instead of frying or in the oven. They add a nice flavor to the sauce.

Yeah, they always go swimming in the sauce for a while before serving, but I don't like the greasiness actually cook them in the sauce adds.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jun 15 2011, 02:26 PM)
I now have plans for the weekend biggrin.gif

I might add more garlic but I really like garlic.

Yeah, I'm always a little heavy on the garlic too smile.gif

I like 2TB+ range myself.

Looks yummy!!! My usual meatball recipe is pretty straightforward (read; boring) so I think I'll give yours a try. Thanks! cool.gif

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 15 2011, 09:54 AM)

I can't stand it when meatballs are cooked in sauce. I like them with no sauce at all, and I often eat them cold.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jun 19 2011, 11:56 AM)
Made these last night, KILLER meat balls. When I make more, I'm going to add just a little more red pepper flakes buz I likes em hot!

Thanks!

Awesome! We don't put in much red pepper because of the kids, but I always add extra to the top (along with more parm/romano) once they are served.

Beer Meatballs

Meatballs

~2 lb ground beef1.5 lb bulk Italian sausage

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1/2 ketchup

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup finely diced onion

2 beaten eggs

salt

pepper

oregano

parmesan (all to taste)

roll into small meatballs - small as or smaller than ping pong balls. think hors'deuvre size with toothpick.

Beer Sauce

2 12oz bottles of your favorite golden beer (lager/pilsner) - I recommend a decent german beer like Beck's

2 12oz bottles Heinz Chili Sauce

Thats right, thats the sauce. 2 bottles of beer and 2 bottles of chili sauce. Some people add grape jelly to make them a little sweeter. I say nay nay on the jelly. But to each their own...

Honestly these never fail to get compliments. And its MEAT and BEER. Come on people it doesnt get any easier or better

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Aug 2 2011, 04:59 PM)
Beer Meatballs

Meatballs
~2 lb ground beef1.5 lb bulk Italian sausage
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 ketchup
1/2 cup  milk
1/2 cup finely diced onion
2 beaten eggs
salt
pepper
oregano
parmesan (all to taste)

roll into small meatballs - small as or smaller than ping pong balls.  think hors'deuvre size with toothpick.

Beer Sauce

2 12oz bottles of your favorite golden beer (lager/pilsner) - I recommend a decent german beer like Beck's
2 12oz bottles Heinz Chili Sauce

Thats right, thats the sauce.  2 bottles of beer and 2 bottles of chili sauce.  Some people add grape jelly to make them a little sweeter.  I say nay nay on the jelly.  But to each their own...

Honestly these never fail to get compliments.  And its MEAT and BEER.  Come on people it doesnt get any easier or better

Do you cook the meatballs first or just let 'em sit in the sauce in a slow cooker for a few hours?

LIX, I need more info on your balls before I eat them.

How long do you let those bad boys bake before serving them?

(This is reminding me of the SNL skit about Alec Baldwin's Shweaty Balls.)

Here you go Janie!

Bake for like an hour, I don't flip them.. Just bake till golden brown, and throw right into the sauce. I've tried making them early and then putting them in sauce later and it doesn't work.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 30 2011, 02:46 AM)
Here you go Janie!

Bake for like an hour, I don't flip them.. Just bake till golden brown, and throw right into the sauce. I've tried making them early and then putting them in sauce later and it doesn't work.

Thanks LIX! smile.gif