The Official Mike Portnoy Thread

Tick

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jul 25 2011, 09:31 PM)
The new, new, new band is a "power trio" with John Sykes and a bass player to be named later! Mike Portnoy is like Method Man right now. He's all around. I gotta hear it though. Whatever it is...I gotta hear it.

This is going to be great. J . S . Is one great singer/guitar player.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Jul 26 2011, 09:14 AM)
Now I hear there will be some Blue Murder stuff in the live set. I'm down with that. I agree...this could be pretty good.

I love that band. Any tour dates yet?

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 26 2011, 11:09 AM)
Rumour has it that the bass player will be Billy "Mr. Big" Sheehan. This will be awesome!!!!!

That would be infuckinsane

Now I hear there will be some Blue Murder stuff in the live set. I'm down with that. I agree...this could be pretty good.

Blue Murder was originally supposed to be Cozy Powell on drums and John Entwistle on bass. They rehearsed a little and it did not take off. So Sykes called Carmine Appice and Tony Franklin. That was a good band. Carmine and Cozy are way ahead of Portnoy however.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 26 2011, 11:57 AM)
Now I hear there will be some Blue Murder stuff in the live set.  I'm down with that.  I agree...this could be pretty good.

Blue Murder was originally supposed to be Cozy Powell on drums and John Entwistle on bass. They rehearsed a little and it did not take off. So Sykes called Carmine Appice and Tony Franklin. That was a good band. Carmine and Cozy are way ahead of Portnoy however.

Have you seen Carmine play lately? I saw him last summer with michael schenker and he was less than great. Screwed up more than once. He had his time but I think portnoy runs rings around him.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 26 2011, 10:01 AM)
Now I hear there will be some Blue Murder stuff in the live set.  I'm down with that.  I agree...this could be pretty good.

Not as of yet...but things move quickly in the world of Portnoy these days...so soon I would guess. I'll let you know...you let me know...

I love the Blue Murder idea though. Play those songs!

Via Mikeportnoy.com

QUOTE ( Mike Portnoy)
Just a few quick comments....

-- Yes, this is what I've been working on here in LA for the last week or so (as well as a few days at the end of May)

-- John & I have been working with a bass player as well (no, not Dug Pinnick) and the announcement of who it is will be made at a later point...let's just say it is a completely ridiculous modern-day power trio!!!

-- We've demo-ed 12 songs so far and will begin recording the album in the Fall...

-- Eddie did NOT spill any beans on me...the plan all along was to announce this on THAT METAL SHOW and make no mistake about it, this announcement was THEIR exclusive to announce regardless of whoever is now reporting it...

-- I've tweeted some photos tonight of me, John, Eddie, etc in case somebody would like to repost them here...

-- For the record, this is a new "real BAND" for me, and Adrenaline Mob is also a new "real BAND" for me.

I will divide my time as best as I can between the two (hey, if Corey Taylor & Jim Root, Mike Patton, Joe Satriani & Chad Smith, Zakk Wylde all can do it, so can I!) and I am equally excited by both...as they are both amazing new bands, but VERY different worlds musically...so there's really no clash creatively...

Timing wise, Adrenaline Mob is happening NOW....and my band with Sykes & _____ wont be released later next year....so they'll be able to co-exist just fine!

-- While on the subject of "real BAND vs. "side-project" and time dividing...there still is my album w Morse, Morse, McPherson and LaRue as well (which also is incredible! and a whole OTHER side musically)...which may fall more into the "side-project" catagory (ala Transatlantic & LTE) as of course, Steve has Deep Purple as his full time band...release info on that is still forthcoming as well...

Exciting times are ahead kids!!  : )

I can't wait for you all to hear what I've been doing all year..,
MP

So, this third project and the Adrenaline Mob project are his "Real Band"s and it seems permanent homesteads... and the Morse/Morse project is a "side project"

That's cool I guess

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 26 2011, 11:01 AM)

That rules. That first Blue Murder album is so underappreciated.

Sykes himself is underrated... the 87 Whitesnake album and Blue Murder were just fantastic from a guitar standpoint. I still rock both albums regularly. I would love to see this trio, especially if Billy Sheehan is the "mystery bassist". The only other one who I think would be a better selection would be Stu Hamm.

Edited by metaldad

I think aug 9th is the date for the adrenaline mob e.p. confused13.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 3 2011, 12:45 PM)
I think aug 9th is the date for the adrenaline mob e.p. confused13.gif

Are you buying it?

I can't be bothered with EPs myself, I still haven't bought the UKZ EP yet (which was the last EP I think I was interested in...).

I'll wait for the album, if there is one...

th1245.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 3 2011, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 3 2011, 12:45 PM)
I think aug 9th is the date for the adrenaline mob e.p.  confused13.gif

Are you buying it?

I can't be bothered with EPs myself, I still haven't bought the UKZ EP yet (which was the last EP I think I was interested in...).

I'll wait for the album, if there is one...

th1245.gif

I will get it because the album does not come out until 2012.