The Gaps between albums..

The Owl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 23 2011, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ May 23 2011, 09:33 AM)
Sadly, I'm not expecting much from the new album.

I'm expecting a lot. I like the two new songs.

me too

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 23 2011, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 23 2011, 01:12 PM)

With an album in 91, 93, 96, 02, 04, 08, and 2012, I would hardly consider them a golden oldies band. Just sayin'

considering about 20% of material from those years is actually good, that could be debatable...

I'd say about 20% is bad, but then again, I'm a blaspheming 90s lover. tongue.gif And even if you think they suck, those albums immediately take Rush off the golden oldies list who haven't released an album in like 20 years.

I give up at this point, your not getting what it is you want from this band no matter what I guess. at the risk of insulting you, it does seem extraordinarily narcissistic of you to be so condescendingly critical of them in this manner. with that in mind I think it would be a fun debargument to have on MY SHOW sometime if yer up for it. Me and my other show partner had a similar discussion after the Hershey PA show that I think is a goof to hear. The Great Debate w/ Beaner & Weevil

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 23 2011, 02:07 PM)
I give up at this point, your not getting what it is you want from this band no matter what I guess. at the risk of insulting you, it does seem extraordinarily narcissistic of you to be so condescendingly critical of them in this manner.

i can handle the insults, so no worries there. i'm not exactly making softball comments, so i expect fiery reactions. wink.gif

in terms of extraordinary narcissism or condescending criticism, well, i understand what you're saying, but really in the end this is one man's opinion, and it's just a discussion as far as i'm concerned, even if it does get a bit heated sometimes. we're on a rush message board, so i'm stating my opinions. just because i state them as vociferously as i do doesn't mean i'm not cognizant of the fact that they're my individual opinion. the amount of time in my life i spend thinking about rush is actually precious little, so it's not really an issue for me except the isolated moments when i'm discussing it. i don't go home and cry in my milk about rush never making albums anymore. obviously rush is going to do whatever they're going to do, no matter what anyone thinks, this fan or any other.

with that in mind I think it would be a fun debargument to have on MY SHOW sometime if yer up for it. Me and my other show partner had a similar discussion after the Hershey PA show that I think is a goof to hear. The Great Debate w/ Beaner & Weevil

debargument? is that a combination of a debate and an argument? and sure man, i'm game if you want to. shoot me a PM. trink39.gif

I give up at this point, your not getting what it is you want from this band no matter what I guess. at the risk of insulting you, it does seem extraordinarily narcissistic of you to be so condescendingly critical of them in this manner.

bolt.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 23 2011, 05:05 PM)
the amount of time in my life i spend thinking about rush is actually precious little, so it's not really an issue for me except the isolated moments when i'm discussing it.

Says the guy with 24000+ posts. confused13.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 23 2011, 03:47 PM)

bolt.gif

the amount of time in my life i spend thinking about rush is actually precious little, so it's not really an issue for me except the isolated moments when i'm discussing it.

Says the guy with 24000+ posts. confused13.gif

tongue.gif

rofl3.gif

ok, fair point, but how many of those are about rush? and it's over 6 years...

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 20 2011, 10:48 AM)
Well, when you dont make as much money on albums as you used to, you're going to have big gaps like this, particuarly since 2000. It's just a totally different world. Why would Rush make an album every year just to break even or even lose money?

You can even look at the new popular rock bands today and they do it the same way:

Linkin Park- Albums in 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010

The Killers-Albums in 2004, 2006, 2008...still waiting for next

Foo Fighter-2002, 2005, 2007, 2011

Green Day-2000, 2004, 2009

My Chemical Romance 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010

U2-2000, 2004, 2009

Red Hot Chili Peppers-2002, 2006, ?

Metallica 2003, 2008, ?

I could go on and on...

A lot of the Rush fans get on the boyz for not doing enough studio work, but NO ONE does it the same way. Look at the bands above...they are much younger and are at about the same pace as Rush since the turn of the century

Now, don't go confusing the issue with logic and facts!

Let's just stick with the talking points:

1. Rush are lazy, greedy, money-grubbing capitalist pigs.

2. Neil is probably mind-controlling Alex and Geddy to force them into this constant cash-grabbing.

3. Old Rush good, new Rush bad.

angry.gif

tongue.gif

Edited by PariahDog

4. Neil kicks puppies and kittens if no one is looking

i can handle the insults, so no worries there. i'm not exactly making softball comments, so i expect fiery reactions. wink.gif

in terms of extraordinary narcissism or condescending criticism, well, i understand what you're saying, but really in the end this is one man's opinion, and it's just a discussion as far as i'm concerned, even if it does get a bit heated sometimes. we're on a rush message board, so i'm stating my opinions. just because i state them as vociferously as i do doesn't mean i'm not cognizant of the fact that they're my individual opinion. the amount of time in my life i spend thinking about rush is actually precious little, so it's not really an issue for me except the isolated moments when i'm discussing it. i don't go home and cry in my milk about rush never making albums anymore. obviously rush is going to do whatever they're going to do, no matter what anyone thinks, this fan or any other.

with that in mind I think it would be a fun debargument to have on MY SHOW sometime if yer up for it. Me and my other show partner had a similar discussion after the Hershey PA show that I think is a goof to hear. The Great Debate w/ Beaner & Weevil

debargument? is that a combination of a debate and an argument? and sure man, i'm game if you want to. shoot me a PM. trink39.gif

wow, i didnt realize we talked for like an hour...

thanks again, fun chat

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 23 2011, 05:45 PM)

thanks again, fun chat

yeah, i think it was an hour and 4 minutes according to my phone! definitely nice talking to you!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 23 2011, 07:52 PM)

thanks again, fun chat

yeah, i think it was an hour and 4 minutes according to my phone! definitely nice talking to you!

trink39.gif

I like to talk a lot...

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ May 23 2011, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 23 2011, 07:52 PM)

thanks again, fun chat

trink39.gif

I like to talk a lot...

i've never been accused of being short-winded or a man of few words. no.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 23 2011, 05:03 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 20 2011, 03:48 PM)
Well, when you dont make as much money on albums as you used to, you're going to have big gaps like this, particuarly since 2000.

Errrrr, no. Completely wrong. The longer a band goes on the less creative juice it has. It has always been thus. It will always be so.

The Rush creative juice bottle started to empty after Hemispheres, oh yes indeedy.

"Completely wrong" LOL Wow...I thought maybe I would be just a little bit right, but Cozy Toes says no, so guess not... sad.gif

By the way, did you read the rest of my post where I cited all other bands that are in or were in the past decade their supposed creative peak? And the fact that they are recording at a similar pacs as Rush? Or am I completely off on that as well?

Good times...