• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 11 2011, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ May 11 2011, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ May 11 2011, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ May 8 2011, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ May 7 2011, 05:31 PM)
Probably the best ballad ever written...poignant and soulful without descending into mushy sentimentality with gorgeous three part vocal harmonies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8LmDCdTLFI

kings x ,sure why not,nothing groundbreaking here pretty standard fare for this genre ,as noted nice harmonies yes.gif

It could have been worse...it could have been sopmething that you thought was good. yes.gif wink.gif

Sour grapes fridge?.....to me this was o.k at best, and at least i took the time to listen to the various suggestions in this entertaining thread.

so whassup? dazed025.gif

a wink smiley does not denote sour grapes...I couldn't give a toss what you think of it personally, but thanks for the concern smile.gif

yep......awesome. I really like the re-recorded version they did too, on Ogre Tones....

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 11 2011, 05:18 PM)
You mean aside from the condescending reviews?

not nice no.gif

i thought the purpose of this thread was to introduce each of us to some music that was rated highly by fellow trf contributors, i also thought we should do the courtesy of listening to said links and leave opinions.

what i dident think was that i would be attacked for my honesty and expected to agree with every over enthusiastic opinion.

I CHOOSE FREEWILL!

QUOTE (tel @ May 8 2011, 05:48 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ May 8 2011, 02:27 AM)
ooh, mind if i play? tongue.gif  I'll split my quick, haphazard list roughly into genres

classical:

J.S. Bach- Concerto for Two Violins, mvt 2: Adagio

L.V. Beethoven- Piano Concerto no. 5, "Emperor", mvt. 2

F. Chopin- Nocturne in B minor, op. 62 no. 1

F. Chopin- Polonaise Fantasie, op. 61

the very end of Mahler's 2nd symphony (the whole symphony is amazing, but the ending is really something else) -- scored for a full orchestra, plus a full chorus, plus a pipe organ.

a cappella choral arrangement of the famousBarber's Adagio for Strings

there's obviously a ton more, especially from the romantic era, but those are just some of my all-time favorites.

jazz:

John Coltrane- After the Rain

Herbie Hancock- Alone and I

Art Blakey- Sleep On Sleeping Dancer

Bill Evans- My Foolish Heart

Keith Jarrett's unique and refreshing take on Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Acoustic/Folk

Simon and Garfunkel- Scarborough Fair

Kings of Convenience- I Don't Know What I Can Save You From

the solo guitar workings of Antoine Dufour- Catching the Light

John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess- State of Grace from the live album that they recorded together

Transatlantic- Bridge Across Forever (technically this would fall under prog as well, but it's instrumentation is acoustic by nature.

Damien Rice- Delicate

Ray LaMontagne- Trouble

rock and prog:

Porcupine Tree- Heartattack in a Lay-By

Queen- You Take My Breath Away

the amazing narrative of Dire Straits- Telegraph Road

Dream Theater- Hell's Kitchen

Matthew Good Band- I, The Throw Away

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals- Big White Gate

The Reign of Kindo- The Moments In Between

U2- Kite

Switchfoot- The Shadow Proves the Sunsine

Post-Rock:

This Will Destroy You- Threads

Caspian- ASA

The Album Leaf- Shine

and just about everything else from those three, plus Explosions..., Sigur Ros, Mogwai, etc...

???

Pat Metheny- Last Train Home

Ozric Tentacles- Stretchy

Hans Zimmer- Time a deeply moving track from the Inception soundtrack.

a track originally by Jerry Goodman, adapted to become a drumming showcase by Todd Sucherman- Tears of Joy

Taylor Swift- Mine
...wait, were we talking about beautiful music, or beautiful musicians? blush4.gif

show off! tongue.gif

if i had a couple weeks free....adagio for strings is lush though yes.gif

Especially that version because there are no strings. Its all vocals and nothing short of amazing.

speaking of music soundtracks, this is one of my fave movies. Sad and beautiful and moving.

http://youtu.be/Ru-ho1ZZj-4

Tel, since you're responding to eveyones posts, I really want your feedback on the acoustic version of Genesis' The Cinema Show. I can't post a link because I am typing from an iPad and I only have the mobile version of YouTube. But just search Genesis The Cinema Show Acoustic and it should come out. It is a piano/vocal only version. And please post a link so others can see too...thanks a lot in advance.

Rachmaninoff's Vespers (All-Night Vigil), written for unaccompanied chorus, are an interesting joining of religious texts and music with the kind of musical and harmonic structures characteristic of the romantic period and early 20th century. They are absolutely breathtaking -- there are lots of chords that you're not used to hearing from a chorus.

and

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 12 2011, 06:10 PM)
Tel, since you're responding to eveyones posts, I really want your feedback on the acoustic version of Genesis' The Cinema Show. I can't post a link because I am typing from an iPad and I only have the mobile version of YouTube. But just search Genesis The Cinema Show Acoustic and it should come out. It is a piano/vocal only version. And please post a link so others can see too...thanks a lot in advance.

after recieving this ,nah.....but im sure its lovely wink.gif

...I couldn't give a toss what you think of it personally, but thanks for the concern

courtesy of fridge

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 12 2011, 06:10 PM)

oh,and this....

You mean aside from the condescending reviews?

courtesy of tidewater

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 7 2011, 06:31 PM)
Probably the best ballad ever written...poignant and soulful without descending into mushy sentimentality with gorgeous three part vocal harmonies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8LmDCdTLFI

I knew what the song was going to be before even clicking the link. Excellent choice, the song is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6_sm5ksCmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvgXBsmcXw