How do you like your oatmeal?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your oatmeal?

• Fully cooked, mushy and pasty
    • Fully cooked, runny and soupy
    • Half-cooked, thick, chewy, and clumpy
    • Half-cooked, all floating around in milk like cold cereal
    • Just barely cooked
    • Heat up a bowl of milk and pour raw oats in!

I like steelcut Oats, I put them in the slow cooker before I go to bed, one cup with 4 cups of water, and slow cook it all night, and then in the morning have it with honey and dried fruit.

Well certainly none of those options....

Fully cooked oatmeal does not need to be mushy, if it is you are doing it wrong.

fully cooked oatmeal should have a lot of body, no matter what kind of oats you are cooking, never, NEVER, put them in cold water, you have to boil the water first.

My favorite recipe:

Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add oats to butter and stir for 2 minutes, until lightly toasted.

Carefully add 3 cups boiling water to oats in saucepan. Stir and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer gently for 25 minutes, stirring once or twice.

Stir 1 cup milk into oatmeal. Continue to cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until most of the milk has been absorbed. Stir once or twice during this time to make sure oatmeal is not sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Remove oatmeal from heat. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ May 12 2011, 04:17 PM)
Fully cooked oatmeal should have a lot of body, no matter what kind of oats you are cooking, never, NEVER, put them in cold water, you have to boil the water first.

Why is it wrong to put the oats into cold water or milk and then heat it up? I'm not challenging you or saying you're wrong -- I've always done it that way and never knew it was the incorrect way to cook it. cool.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 12 2011, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ May 12 2011, 04:17 PM)
Fully cooked oatmeal should have a lot of body, no matter what kind of oats you are cooking, never, NEVER, put them in cold water, you have to boil the water first.

Why is it wrong to put the oats into cold water or milk and then heat it up? I'm not challenging you or saying you're wrong -- I've always done it that way and never knew it was the incorrect way to cook it. cool.gif

It just turns to a mush

I dislike cream of oatmeal. I dislike it so much, it gave me nausea every single time my mother served it to me when I was a little girl. Once at a mall, it exited the same way it entered. I begged my mother not to serve it to me anymore. She never did.

I have tried and tried to like the stuff. That, and cream of wheat. Ugh, I just can't.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 28 2011, 07:31 PM)
I have tried and tried to like the stuff. That, and cream of wheat. Ugh, I just can't.

That's because it's not loaded with bacon and steak and other forms of meat that you love smile.gif

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ May 12 2011, 03:17 PM)
Well certainly none of those options....

Fully cooked oatmeal does not need to be mushy, if it is you are doing it wrong.
fully cooked oatmeal should have a lot of body, no matter what kind of oats you are cooking, never, NEVER, put them in cold water, you have to boil the water first.

My favorite recipe:

Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add oats to butter and stir for 2 minutes, until lightly toasted.

Carefully add 3 cups boiling water to oats in saucepan. Stir and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer gently for 25 minutes, stirring once or twice.

Stir 1 cup milk into oatmeal. Continue to cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until most of the milk has been absorbed. Stir once or twice during this time to make sure oatmeal is not sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Remove oatmeal from heat. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.

I like mine like burgeranacoke makes it!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

No one puts peanut butter on theirs? confused13.gif I eat mine with a tablespoon of PB and some honey. Mmm. Perfect with a glass of cold milk and a cup of tea!

Thick yes.gif