Goobers Top 500 Songs of All Time!

rushgoober

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 19 2011, 05:52 PM)
Good list Goober. Good job on including plenty of S&G. yes.gif But you need more Cat Stevens. wub.gif And there's no Fleetwood Mac or Eagles!? sad.gif

Thanks, man!

I do love Cat Stevens. If I had a top 1,000, more songs of his would DEFINITELY enter my list.

Fleetwood Mac is alright, I like some of their material, but not enough to pursue them. My wife has their best of which she plays occasionally, and that's enough for me.

Regarding The Eagles, well, I love the song Hotel California, and some other songs of theirs are good, but again, not my thing so much...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ May 20 2011, 10:05 PM)
I'll refrain from posting my top anything, lest I be ridiculed off the board unsure.gif

Taylor swift, Taylor swift, Taylor swift and your first rush entry would be after 2112 other songs? Something like that? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 20 2011, 11:08 PM)
I'll refrain from posting my top anything, lest I be ridiculed off the board unsure.gif

Taylor swift, Taylor swift, Taylor swift and your first rush entry would be after 2112 other songs? Something like that? biggrin.gif

There's a Backstreet Boys song on my list! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 20 2011, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 20 2011, 11:08 PM)

I think I really respect the insane amount of music you're able to enjoy, but somehow I still hope you're joking unsure.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 20 2011, 11:40 PM)

I think I really respect the insane amount of music you're able to enjoy, but somehow I still hope you're joking unsure.gif

I would put rap on my list. Oh, wait... I hate rap. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 20 2011, 11:46 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 20 2011, 11:40 PM)

There's rap on my list, too!!!

The one Backstreet Boys song on my list I find insanely catchy. It's because of the melody. When I hear the song I can't help but hum along.

Don't worry! Van Der Graaf Generator outnumbers the Backstreet Boys, so far, at least 5 to 1!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 20 2011, 10:50 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 20 2011, 11:46 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 20 2011, 11:40 PM)

There's rap on my list, too!!!

The one Backstreet Boys song on my list I find insanely catchy. It's because of the melody. When I hear the song I can't help but hum along.

Don't worry! Van Der Graaf Generator outnumbers the Backstreet Boys, so far, at least 5 to 1!

Haha, biggrin.gif

I honestly do respect your taste on music and i like your comment on subdivisions and other popular songs.

Very goodpost.gif my friend applaudit.gif

By the way, it'd be interesting to see you list soon, as I feel it would contain the most important songs in the world rather than just important songs that we normally classify as "better than generic or not mainstream."

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 18 2011, 07:54 PM)
I think I went over two so I chopped off Child In Time and The Battle Of Evermore

ohmy.gif You definitely made the wrong decision, at least where The Battle of Evermore is concerned! yes.gif wink.gif

A lot of Tool on your list - I have Lateralus that I got at a yard sale since so many Rush fans love Tool - I really couldn't stand it - way too metally for my tastes these days.

You also have a lot of VDGG. As we've talked about before, I definitely need to get more into this band. I have several of their albums, but need to listen to them more. I always considered them, along with Gentle Giant, one of the most difficult prog bands to get into - it can often take MANY listens to learn to appreciate a song or album by those groups. I keep trying though, but with VDGG, my progress is slow, mostly because the music can be so dark. I have to be in the mood to go there.

You also have a lot of PT - another group I have several albums by that I have to listen to a lot more - they can be very hit and miss for me, but when they hit, they can be great.

The Prophet's Song, Queen
Hosianna Mantra, Popol Vuh
Octopus, Syd Barrett
Lizard, King Crimson

These particular tracks made me very happy to see on your list, mostly because they're not common choices, but are some of the best songs ever!

Formentera Lady, King Crimson

The best song on a bad album, but still not a very good song IMHO. I love all of KC's 70's output (including every song you mentioned), except for Islands. I just don't get that album at all.

Otherwise, great list - I like your taste in music! yes.gif notworthy.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 21 2011, 07:44 PM)
I think I went over two so I chopped off Child In Time and The Battle Of Evermore

ohmy.gif You definitely made the wrong decision, at least where The Battle of Evermore is concerned! yes.gif wink.gif

A lot of Tool on your list - I have Lateralus that I got at a yard sale since so many Rush fans love Tool - I really couldn't stand it - way too metally for my tastes these days.

You also have a lot of VDGG. As we've talked about before, I definitely need to get more into this band. I have several of their albums, but need to listen to them more. I always considered them, along with Gentle Giant, one of the most difficult prog bands to get into - it can often take MANY listens to learn to appreciate a song or album by those groups. I keep trying though, but with VDGG, my progress is slow, mostly because the music can be so dark. I have to be in the mood to go there.

You also have a lot of PT - another group I have several albums by that I have to listen to a lot more - they can be very hit and miss for me, but when they hit, they can be great.

Octopus, Syd Barrett
Lizard, King Crimson

These particular tracks made me very happy to see on your list, mostly because they're not common choices, but are some of the best songs ever!

The best song on a bad album, but still not a very good song IMHO. I love all of KC's 70's output (including every song you mentioned), except for Islands. I just don't get that album at all.

Otherwise, great list - I like your taste in music! yes.gif notworthy.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Yeah I can understand why you don't like tool. You might like APC better but even then you won't like them. And I think you do get Tool, at least some of it. But even if you get them I can see why they are hard to like. I also really don't like Tool fans. They think Maynard is god. I joke around like that about all the musicians I listen to. But if you go to YouTube and day Tool sounds like KC, you'll get beat up. Tool is supposed to be a funny band in a way. Maynard is joking half the time and the artwork only makes half sense. They through in complex time signature that work but at the same time do it just to make the listener think he's (the listener). For example, a common comment: wow tool is so great they play in 5.5/8 and nobody else does. They sing in Fibonacci sequence, woah!

Yeah, so I just enjoy their deep, sometimes funny, and intriguing music and don't let anybody tell me otherwise. They're just like any other "prog" band to me. And I quote prog because what the heck does prog mean? Who cares? trink39.gif

So I know you don't like them but I just hope you can appreciate their skill and unique songwriting. I'm not gonna force you to agree though, like the common tool fan. Oh and by the way, the opening track on lateralus is not a good place to start with tool if you don't like heavy stuff. I say skip to track 3. Track 7 sounds like Lerxt is on guitar. And track 9 is probably their masterpiece, or one of their best contributions to the "genre.

And as for porcupine tree...stay away from Fear of a Blank Planet. It's probably too heavy, but it does feature lerxt on guitar.

For VdGG, just take your time. Gentle Giant i like and I would place a few songs in my top 500 but i haven't discovered them much.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 21 2011, 10:52 PM)

Octopus, Syd Barrett
Lizard, King Crimson

Yeah I can understand why you don't like tool. You might like APC better but even then you won't like them. And I think you do get Tool, at least some of it. But even if you get them I can see why they are hard to like. I also really don't like Tool fans. They think Maynard is god. I joke around like that about all the musicians I listen to. But if you go to YouTube and day Tool sounds like KC, you'll get beat up. Tool is supposed to be a funny band in a way. Maynard is joking half the time and the artwork only makes half sense. They through in complex time signature that work but at the same time do it just to make the listener think he's (the listener). For example, a common comment: wow tool is so great they play in 5.5/8 and nobody else does. They sing in Fibonacci sequence, woah!

Yeah, so I just enjoy their deep, sometimes funny, and intriguing music and don't let anybody tell me otherwise. They're just like any other "prog" band to me. And I quote prog because what the heck does prog mean? Who cares? trink39.gif

So I know you don't like them but I just hope you can appreciate their skill and unique songwriting. I'm not gonna force you to agree though, like the common tool fan. Oh and by the way, the opening track on lateralus is not a good place to start with tool if you don't like heavy stuff. I say skip to track 3. Track 7 sounds like Lerxt is on guitar. And track 9 is probably their masterpiece, or one of their best contributions to the "genre.

And as for porcupine tree...stay away from Fear of a Blank Planet. It's probably too heavy, but it does feature lerxt on guitar.

For VdGG, just take your time. Gentle Giant i like and I would place a few songs in my top 500 but i haven't discovered them much.

Yeah, regarding Lateralus. I kept getting stuck on song one, and then I listened to a few other Tool tracks, some on that album, some on youtube that were supposed to be some of their best songs that people recommended (don't remember which ones), and I couldn't stand any of them. They might have interesting time signatures and great musicianship or whatever, but I just didn't like it - too aggressive for me, and this is coming from someone who loved NWOBHM in the 80's.

And yeah, with PT, their earlier spacy instrumental stuff is very accessible to me. When they start singing, it takes me longer, but some of that is still great. When they start getting too heavy and metally, I rapidly start to lose interest.

DT is similar for me. I actually LOVE Scenes from a Memory, but everything else of theirs I've heard (which is quite a bit), is just too metal for me. Even occasionally on Scenes they venture into heavy metal speed riffing that just sounds unnecessary to me. It seems like when they do their musical IQ suddenly drops 30 points. Less is more for me in that regard.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 22 2011, 07:55 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 21 2011, 10:52 PM)

Octopus, Syd Barrett
Lizard, King Crimson

Yeah, regarding Lateralus. I kept getting stuck on song one, and then I listened to a few other Tool tracks, some on that album, some on youtube that were supposed to be some of their best songs that people recommended (don't remember which ones), and I couldn't stand any of them. They might have interesting time signatures and great musicianship or whatever, but I just didn't like it - too aggressive for me, and this is coming from someone who loved NWOBHM in the 80's.

And yeah, with PT, their earlier spacy instrumental stuff is very accessible to me. When they start singing, it takes me longer, but some of that is still great. When they start getting too heavy and metally, I rapidly start to lose interest.

DT is similar for me. I actually LOVE Scenes from a Memory, but everything else of theirs I've heard (which is quite a bit), is just too metal for me. Even occasionally on Scenes they venture into heavy metal speed riffing that just sounds unnecessary to me. It seems like when they do their musical IQ suddenly drops 30 points. Less is more for me in that regard.

Speaking of PT though, have you heard the extended version of the sky moves sideways? I think you'd love that.

I'm having a difficult time coming up with a list!

I'm finding myself limiting a lot of artists to one "representative" song, usually the song that introduced me to the band or the song that opened the door to considering myself a fan, a "gateway song", so to speak.

Of course, some artists have multiple songs because I simply can't make a choice.

With that said, there are a lot of songs I love that won't make the list.

Anyway, coming up with this list is a nice diversion.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 22 2011, 07:55 AM)

DT is similar for me. I actually LOVE Scenes from a Memory, but everything else of theirs I've heard (which is quite a bit), is just too metal for me. Even occasionally on Scenes they venture into heavy metal speed riffing that just sounds unnecessary to me. It seems like when they do their musical IQ suddenly drops 30 points.

I really don't know were to begin with this laugh.gif