Goobers Top 500 Songs of All Time!

rushgoober

Ok, you don't even want to know how many ridiculous amount of hours I spent working on this list. Why did I do this? I don't know - maybe masochism? Even still, it's not perfect, but it's as close as I'm going to come to doing this. There were a lot of fantastic songs that were heartbreaking to cut, but cut them I did! Doubtlessly I forgot a song or two or fifty that should have been included, but I did the best I could!

Originally I was going to rank all 500 songs in order, but that was simply an impossible task, so I simplified it.

The top 1-25 are ranked in order (as best as I could).

26-100 are listed alphabetically (if a group appears more than once, I put the songs in order of preference).

101-500 are listed alphabetically (if a group appears more than once, I put the songs in order of preference).

PLEASE COMMENT AND DISCUSS!

Edited by rushgoober

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOP 25 IN ORDER (MORE OR LESS) (25-1):

25. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - I Won't Hurt You

24. King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King

23. Berry Sakharof -The Shining

22. 13th Floor Elevators - Slip Inside This House

21. Amon Duul II - Syntelman's March of the Roaring 70's

20. Jean-Michel Jarre - Ethnicolor

19. Robert Wyatt - Sea Song

18. Yes - Close to the Edge

17. The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

16. Popol Vuh - Aguirre II

15. Grateful Dead - That's It for the Other One

14. Yes - The Revealing Science of God

13. Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine

12. Rush - Subdivisions

11. Rush- Tom Sawyer

10. Led Zeppelin - The Battle of Evermore

9. Rush - La Villa Strangiato

8. The Beatles - A Day in the Life

7. Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

6. Blind Faith - Can't Find My Way Home

5. Genesis - Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

4. Pink Floyd - Echoes

3. Rush - Xanadu

2. Terry Brooks & Strange - Ruler of the Universe

1. Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdirve (Tonitie Let's All Make Love in London version)

Edited by rushgoober

TOP 25 IN ORDER (MORE OR LESS) (1-25):

1. Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdirve (Tonitie Let's All Make Love in London version)

2. Terry Brooks & Strange - Ruler of the Universe

3. Rush - Xanadu

4. Pink Floyd - Echoes

5. Genesis - Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

6. Blind Faith - Can't Find My Way Home

7. Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

8. The Beatles - A Day in the Life

9. Rush - La Villa Strangiato

10. Led Zeppelin - The Battle of Evermore

11. Rush- Tom Sawyer

12. Rush - Subdivisions

13. Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine

14. Yes - The Revealing Science of God

15. Grateful Dead - That's It for the Other One

16. Popol Vuh - Aguirre II

17. The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

18. Yes - Close to the Edge

19. Robert Wyatt - Sea Song

20. Jean-Michel Jarre - Ethnicolor

21. Amon Duul II - Syntelman's March of the Roaring 70's

22. 13th Floor Elevators - Slip Inside This House

23. Berry Sakharof -The Shining

24. King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King

25. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - I Won't Hurt You

Edited by rushgoober

One thing that greatly surprised me, is that I always said Subdivisions was my favorite Rush song, but when I did this list, I found Subdivisions coming in 4th! ohmy.gif

Anyway, still, it's one of my top 15 songs of all time, so it's all good. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 23 2011, 09:56 PM)
One thing that greatly surprised me, is that I always said Subdivisions was my favorite Rush song, but when I did this list, I found Subdivisions coming in 4th! ohmy.gif

Anyway, still, it's one of my top 15 songs of all time, so it's all good. wink.gif

Perhaps then you should re-evaluate whether you still think Signals is the best Rush album.

I haven't heard probably 40-50% of the songs on your list. I'm kind of disappointed 2 of my favorite bands (Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult) aren't represented. Surprised only 3 songs from the first Doors album and none from the second were included and only one Kinks song appears. More comments to come. smile.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 23 2011, 08:17 PM)
Impressive list, Goobs trink39.gif

Interstellar Overdrive? really? unsure.gif

I mean, it's cool, but whatever floats on your root beer confused13.gif

That particular version of Interstellar Overdrive just blows my mind. Syd-era Floyd in full flight, wherein they deconstruct and then reconstruct reality, all in just under 17 minutes. wub.gif

Great list. There are a lot of bands I've never heard of but many my favourite bands are in there. However, it's difficult to discuss someone's opinion.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 23 2011, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 23 2011, 09:56 PM)

Perhaps then you should re-evaluate whether you still think Signals is the best Rush album.

I haven't heard probably 40-50% of the songs on your list. I'm kind of disappointed 2 of my favorite bands (Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult) aren't represented. Surprised only 3 songs from the first Doors album and none from the second were included and only one Kinks song appears. More comments to come. smile.gif

trink38.gif

I still think Signals is my favorite, but only by the slimmest of margins. If I enjoyed The Camera Eye a tiny bit more, MP would overtake it. If the title track from Hemispheres was something I wanted to listen to often, Hemispheres would overtake it. If Different Strings were a slightly stronger song, Permanent Waves would come close. I still give it to Signals for sheer perfection and incredible consistency.

A couple of Kinks songs narrowly missed: Sunny Afternoon & Waterloo Sunset

Had I done a top 1,000 list, several more Doors songs would have appeared.

Black Sabbath is a band I loved in my heavy metal days, but they're a tad dark for my tastes these days. Mind you, Paranoid and Iron Man especially are classics, but I never gave them serious thought. Blue Oyster Cult I haven't really explored much at all. If I've heard any songs by them other than Don't Fear The Reaper (overplayed to a ridiculous degree), I don't know it.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 23 2011, 08:25 PM)
Great list. There are a lot of bands I've never heard of but many my favourite bands are in there. However, it's difficult to discuss someone's opinion.

laugh.gif

oh give it a shot! i can take it. feel free to disagree with me, even violently so! yes.gif tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 23 2011, 11:27 PM)

laugh.gif

oh give it a shot! i can take it. feel free to disagree with me, even violently so! yes.gif tongue.gif

Very well.

*AHEM*

No Justin Bieber? My World is easily THE GREATEST SONG ever produced! wink.gif

Bad jokes aside, I find that The Battle for Evermore was the weakest song off of LZIV by a mile. Then again, that's not saying much considering the album is light years away from most albums in terms of quality. Also, I'm inclined to agree with Silas, no Blue Oyster Cult? I would have thought that Godzilla, Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll or Flaming Telepaths would have made it. I highly recommend you check those out.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 23 2011, 10:20 PM)

That particular version of Interstellar Overdrive just blows my mind. Syd-era Floyd in full flight, wherein they deconstruct and then reconstruct reality, all in just under 17 minutes. wub.gif

I like the Piper version best (being not as familiar with this longer version at present). Generally though I prefer the more lyrical pop side of the Barrett Floyd.

>reading list

>waiting for TFTO songs to show up

>one does in top 25

>it's Revealing Science

>don't see Ritual in top 25

http://forum.cheatengine.org/files/what_the_fuck_am_i_reading_copy_142_447.jpg

I disagree with a lot, but thanks for the effort biggrin.gif

It's actually a great list and i say you have a great taste of music and a wide one too...I need to expand my musical library more unsure.gif

I actually agree with a lot, just not the way it is ranked.

I can't believe Natural Science, Hemispheres, and A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers are not at leat in the top 100, and Hemi not in the top 25. But I'm still glad they are there.

Now where the hell was Telegraph Road by Dire Straits, and Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play by Jethro Tull angry.gif

And I am angry that VDGG aren't represented more...also...you forgot March of the Black Queen by Queen.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 23 2011, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 23 2011, 11:27 PM)

laugh.gif

Very well.

*AHEM*

No Justin Bieber? My World is easily THE GREATEST SONG ever produced! wink.gif

Bad jokes aside, I find that The Battle for Evermore was the weakest song off of LZIV by a mile. Then again, that's not saying much considering the album is light years away from most albums in terms of quality. Also, I'm inclined to agree with Silas, no Blue Oyster Cult? I would have thought that Godzilla, Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll or Flaming Telepaths would have made it. I highly recommend you check those out.

Ah, so many Justin Beiber songs JUST MISSED the top 500. tongue.gif

I think Led Zeppelin IV is by far their best album. Every song is a killer. IDK, The Battle of Evermore just always got me - something about the intricate acoustic guitar work mixed with the beautiful winding fantasy vocals. Ahhhhh... wub.gif

Ok, I have heard Godzilla in addition to Don't Fear the Reaper (forgot about that one). It's a very good song, just like Reaper. I guess I just have tended to avoid more straight ahead rock for the most part. I just listened to Godzilla on youtube, and it's good, but it's a really straightforward middle of the road rock song. Catchy, but not terribly exciting to me. I also just checked out the Cities On Flame song. Not too crazy about that one. Very AC/DC like lyrics, but less interesting IMHO.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like BOC as I very well may, it's just a group I never explored. I do have a CD by a group called Stalk-Forrest Group which was essentially demos and/or never-released material by BOC just prior to their first album. I haven't listened to it in awhile, but it's quite good.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 23 2011, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 23 2011, 10:20 PM)

I like the Piper version best (being not as familiar with this longer version at present). Generally though I prefer the more lyrical pop side of the Barrett Floyd.

The Piper version is incredible. I just think that long version is the definitive version. Honestly though, I've never heard them do that song and not love it.

I pretty much love all Syd Barrett with (and without) Floyd. I love the more lyrical pop stuff, as well as the reality coming apart stuff. Scream Thy Last Scream is one of my all time faves by them, and that song is just insane.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Apr 23 2011, 09:25 PM)
>reading list
>waiting for TFTO songs to show up
>one does in top 25
>it's Revealing Science
>don't see Ritual in top 25

http://forum.cheatengine.org/files/what_the_fuck_am_i_reading_copy_142_447.jpg

Ritual is definitely somewhere in the top 200, so it still rates highly!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 24 2011, 11:47 AM)
Ok, you don't even want to know how many ridiculous amount of hours I spent working on this list. Why did I do this? I don't know - maybe masochism? Even still, it's not perfect, but it's as close as I'm going to come to doing this. There were a lot of fantastic songs that were heartbreaking to cut, but cut them I did! Doubtlessly I forgot a song or two or fifty that should have been included, but I did the best I could!

Originally I was going to rank all 500 songs in order, but that was simply an impossible task, so I simplified it.

The top 1-25 are ranked in order (as best as I could).

26-100 are listed alphabetically (if a group appears more than once, I put the songs in order of preference).

101-500 are listed alphabetically (if a group appears more than once, I put the songs in order of preference).

PLEASE COMMENT AND DISCUSS!

Knowing of your analytical (sometimes 'anal' mind pokey.gif ), I'd like to know how you got your list. I'm assuming there was some formula, point scale, or the like since you stated that you spent hours on it.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 23 2011, 10:55 PM)
I disagree with a lot, but thanks for the effort biggrin.gif
It's actually a great list and i say you have a great taste of music and a wide one too...I need to expand my musical library more unsure.gif
I actually agree with a lot, just not the way it is ranked.

I can't believe Natural Science, Hemispheres, and A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers are not at leat in the top 100, and Hemi not in the top 25. But I'm still glad they are there.

Now where the hell was Telegraph Road by Dire Straits, and Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play by Jethro Tull angry.gif
And I am angry that VDGG aren't represented more...also...you forgot March of the Black Queen by Queen.

Believe it or not, Natural Science was a very late entry, and almost missed the list entirely. I always thought it was a very good song, but only in the last few years has its brilliance really grown on me.

VDGG is also a group I've only gotten into in very recent years, and I still am. A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is an easy standout. Perhaps as I get to know their albums more, more songs of theirs will rank higher. They're just a tough group to get into. They take a LOT of listens to appreciate and then love. It's often pretty dark stuff.

With Jethro Tull, Thick As A Brick is great, but I have yet to be incredibly wowed by it like so many progheads are. Part of the problem is I just haven't listened to it enough, but also I just find my mind wandering during certain parts when I have. Parts of A Passion Play are truly brilliant, but then there's the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles, which I find pretty 062802puke_prv.gif . Kind of puts a damper on the rest of it.

I've never heard that Queen song (some of the early Queen albums are gaping holes in my collection, I admit), or the Dire Straits one, but Dire Straits was never a group I was too wild about.

Part of the problem is obviously I haven't heard everything out there, or been able to give everything I have its proper due and enough listens. This list is pretty much a snapshot of where I am right now with what I've heard. Get me in five years, and maybe 100 songs would be gone, replaced by 100 other songs. Or maybe it would only be 50 songs or less.

Listening to that Queen song now - great, but not immediately grabbing me as a top-500. I do need to get the first 3 Queen albums, however. Hmmm, that just reminded me, maybe I should have fit The Prophet's Song on there somewhere. I sure love that one. I seriously considered Bohemian Rhapsody, but I must admit that it's been so overplayed that I'm a little jaded on that song.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 23 2011, 09:09 PM)
I love it when people put the effort to make lists like this. I usually find something I never heard or never gave a proper chance.

It'd be really cool if someone discovered something great by looking at the list. I kind of made it just to make it. Someday maybe I'll do something with the list, like make a ridiculously long compilation series, or maybe do some really long radio show countdown thing that takes months. Regardless, it's a cool personal reference to have.