1. 1. King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, ELP

• King Crimson
    • Yes
    • Genesis
    • Emerson, Lake & Palmer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 10 2011, 09:31 PM)
Pfft. The Moody Blues were doing progressive rock before any of the Big Four even had a record contract.

The Moodies were an enormous influence on progressive rock, and to a large extent they were prog rock, but they were only borderline prog, or maybe crossover prog. When I think of full-on prog rock groups, even though I love the early Moodies to death, I don't usually consider them part of that crowd... for the most part.

Had to go with Genesis.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 11 2011, 05:10 AM)
Pfft. The Moody Blues were doing progressive rock before any of the Big Four even had a record contract.

The Moodies were an enormous influence on progressive rock, and to a large extent they were prog rock, but they were only borderline prog, or maybe crossover prog. When I think of full-on prog rock groups, even though I love the early Moodies to death, I don't usually consider them part of that crowd... for the most part.

See, I don't buy that argument (which I have seen a lot over the years, so I am not disagreeing with just you wink.gif). Just because other bands took it to a new and different level years later doesn't make them any less progressive. That is like saying that because tons of metal bands in the last few decades have taken metal to new levels, that Black Sabbath can't really be called outright metal now. The Moodies were one of the inventors of the subgenre known as progressive rock and should be acknowledged as such.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 10 2011, 08:45 PM)
Personally I don't like Floyd at all, I find them incredibly boring and bland...

I don't really care too much for a lot of Floyd's material. But then there's Wish You Were Here, which is one of my favorite albums by any artist.

Tull and Yes are my two faves from these.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 10 2011, 09:45 PM)
Personally I don't like Floyd at all, I find them incredibly boring and bland...

Awww... sad.gif I love Floyd. I would've voted for them if they were on the list.

I'll say this about the KC vs Yes debate.

King Crimson never lost it, true their best time was without a doupt '69/'74. They're still alright.

Another huge differance is that when a new line up starts with KC, it sounds like another band (I just don't see the Discipline line up recording or playing Lizard) while retaining the Krimson feel.

Yes had been sounding like an ersatz of each preceding line up for the last 30 years.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Apr 11 2011, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 11 2011, 05:10 AM)

See, I don't buy that argument (which I have seen a lot over the years, so I am not disagreeing with just you wink.gif). Just because other bands took it to a new and different level years later doesn't make them any less progressive. That is like saying that because tons of metal bands in the last few decades have taken metal to new levels, that Black Sabbath can't really be called outright metal now. The Moodies were one of the inventors of the subgenre known as progressive rock and should be acknowledged as such.

I really don't disagree with you. I just think that in terms of the ultimate sound that defined prog rock, The Moodies weren't 100% of the way there, but to a large extent they were prog rock.

Regardless of labels, they were hugely influential and their 1967-1972 output is some of the very best music ever created.

QUOTE (Soni @ Apr 11 2011, 05:48 PM)
King Crimson never lost it, true their best time was without a doupt '69/'74. They're still alright.
Another huge differance is that when a new line up starts with KC, it sounds like another band (I just don't see the Discipline line up recording or playing Lizard) while retaining the Krimson feel.
Yes had been sounding like an ersatz of each preceding line up for the last 30 years.

To counter that, you're a fan of Tool. Yes is better.

/debate tongue.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 11 2011, 01:18 PM)
Not many seem to like ELP here. For me, its a tie between them and Yes.
I'll vote for ELP just because Tarkus is a masterpiece.

I love ELP, but they only have 4 albums. Each of them is a master of their craft though, best keyboardist ever, my personal favorite vocalist, and the bass & drum ranks are up there too.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 11 2011, 10:38 PM)

I love ELP, but they only have 4 albums. Each of them is a master of their craft though, best keyboardist ever, my personal favorite vocalist, and the bass & drum ranks are up there too.

Yes but those are 4 great albums (5 if you include Pictures At An Exhibition). I don't think King Crimson has as many that are as great from start to finish. And Emerson was the Hendrix of the keyboards.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 11 2011, 10:37 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 11 2011, 08:38 PM)

I love ELP... best keyboardist ever...

I'm sorry, but you must mean Genesis

lol nope!

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Apr 11 2011, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 11 2011, 10:38 PM)

Yes but those are 4 great albums (5 if you include Pictures At An Exhibition). I don't think King Crimson has as many that are as great from start to finish. And Emerson was the Hendrix of the keyboards.

Ah, forgot about Exhibition.. Shame on me, I even own an LP of it. & goodpost.gif about Keith Hendrix.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 12 2011, 05:28 AM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Apr 11 2011, 05:48 PM)

To counter that, you're a fan of Tool. Yes is better.

/debate tongue.gif

You know I'm right cool.gif

...and what's wrong with Tool?

Archived