Greensboro review

traeplien

please post those pics. I'd like to see. It still feels strange that Rush has not even played that venue since 1986 for Power Windows (my first Rush concert).

Still waiting for the Photobucket download to finish. This was my first concert at the coliseum. In the arena area, it sort of reminded me of the old Spectrum in Philly, the place of more than half of my Rush concerts along with dozens of other great rock bands. I liked it.

Hey it was nice meeting you guys at Greys. My wife isn't the biggest Rush fan but after last night she was asking questions most of the way home this morning. She asked if we could watch Behind the Lighted Stage becuase she wants to know more of there background. Trust me, for her that is BIG.

Great show, the sound in the first set wasn't the greatest but like was said they seemed to work on it for the second set.

I play the drums and thought I would see some little tricks or better ways to play seeing Neil live, but to be honest there isn't a better way, he is just that good. The guy is in his late 50's and absolutely kicks ass. Not sure if everyone realizes just how physically demanding playing like that for several hours is. I was in awe of the guy before just trying to play some of his music but when you see it live.....WOW. And after 2 hours or so to do la villa strangiato and KILL it....well what can you say.

I talked to several people around me at the show that brought there kids all were about 13 to 15 or so. My son is 8 and he is PISSED that he didn't get to go. When we picked him up from his sleepover he was NOT happy that I had my Rush t-shirt on. I just hope they continue to tour so I will be able to introduce my son to live Rush.

COM'ON R40!!!!!!

Kevin

Hey Kevin, word is, there will be a Clockwork Angels tour next year so tell your son that he'll get his shot in another year and tell your wife she'll get to build on her Rush resume. Hey man, check out my youtube video. The screaming you hear is my wife. Too much fun last night. She can't talk today. Nice!! wink.gif

That is the Best Review I have ever seen written!!!! 2.gif

I was there! Drove 3.5 hours up from Sumter SC. My wife and I were in section 124. This was a fantastic show. The boys did it again...I never cease to be amazed at how great they truly are! What struck me was how loud that venue is. They were LOUD but articulate and Alex's new Axcess Les Pauls sound great! Now I have to wait until they swing back around to Greenville in June! Floor seats in front of Lerxst! Whoop!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

2.gif

Great review! Nice not to hear anything negative about the setlist, etc. Can't wait to see the pics! Only 75 more wakeups till Rush comes back to Phoenix!! Nice Spectrum reference! That was where I saw my first Rush (and Yes and Genesis, etc,etc..) show on the Moving pictures warm-up tour in '80.

2.gif

Edited by The Gorsk

Great to read a positive account of the time machine show for a change,so much bitching about the setlist,lack of integrity ,money grabbing etc goodpost.gif

QUOTE (The Gorsk @ Apr 3 2011, 01:32 PM)
2.gif

Great review! Nice not to hear anything negative about the setlist, etc. Can't wait to see the pics! Only 75 more wakeups till Rush comes back to Phoenix!! Nice Spectrum reference! That was where I saw my first Rush (and Yes and Genesis, etc,etc..) show on the Moving pictures warm-up tour in '80.

2.gif

2.gif

2.gif

That's all well & good but truth be told- there were 3-4 weak songs in the 1st half of the show, the sound was far from perfect & Geddy's voice was off in his upper register- for a band like RUSH THAT IS ALL ABOUT PERFECTION & SOUND this is unacceptable. The second set however, was astonishing & the way the entire show should have been, period. Even the most die hard fans should be able to recognize when things are not going %100, however that doen't take away from RUSH being one of the greatest & most enjoyable bands on earth! Even when not perfect there are still miles ahead of most bands. trink38.gif

I was here too....heres my take....came in from Kingsport, Tenn...thought the show was flawless...same set list of course...very large crowd and very well-mannered..alex came out wearing a suit and tie (cool)...on the songs, I felt the second set was a little better than the first...seemed more energetic to me...thought "Closer to the Heart" was awesome!!

Neils drum solo seemed a bit short to me and he looked very tired in the close-ups..Gettys vocals were perfect....very little talking or conversation with the crowd, just bringing it for all to hear and see

Like everybody, I would have liked a bit more fan favorites in the first set but it was vintage RUSH....who dare complain. No disappointments....

I was at the show in GSO last night also. Row 25 ,sec B seats 11,12. As usual it was just awesome. I have seen the last 6 or 7 tours including Time Machine last year in Bristow, VA. This is the first time I have seen them indoors in like forever! (I'm glad because it was windy and cold!). I saw 3 flubs if I remember, one video and two audio but they pulled out of them well. I took a co-worker who is a big music fan but has never seen RUSH. He was BLOWN AWAY. I mean speachless. He told me it had to be one of the greatest shows he has EVER seen and he is in his late 40's like me.

I don't know how those guys keep doing what they do. Amazing!

2.gif

QUOTE (vintonalan @ Apr 3 2011, 03:22 PM)
I took a co-worker who is a big music fan but has never seen RUSH. He was BLOWN AWAY. I mean speachless. He told me it had to be one of the greatest shows he has EVER seen and he is in his late 40's like me.

I don't know how those guys keep doing what they do. Amazing!
2.gif

1022.gif common001.gif 2.gif

2.gif

2.gif

Thanks. Yeah, the Spectrum holds a lot of memories for me. Next to Rush, Yes is my favorite live band. I've seen them many times. I won't see them again though unless they bring Jon Anderson back. My first concert ever was Foghat, Boston, James Gang at the Spectrum.

QUOTE (Geddycrazy @ Apr 3 2011, 02:30 PM)
2.gif

Great review! Nice not to hear anything negative about the setlist, etc. Can't wait to see the pics! Only 75 more wakeups till Rush comes back to Phoenix!!  Nice Spectrum reference! That was where I saw my first Rush (and Yes and Genesis, etc,etc..) show on the Moving pictures warm-up tour in '80. 

2.gif

2.gif

2.gif

That's all well & good but truth be told- there were 3-4 weak songs in the 1st half of the show, the sound was far from perfect & Geddy's voice was off in his upper register- for a band like RUSH THAT IS ALL ABOUT PERFECTION & SOUND this is unacceptable. The second set however, was astonishing & the way the entire show should have been, period. Even the most die hard fans should be able to recognize when things are not going %100, however that doen't take away from RUSH being one of the greatest & most enjoyable bands on earth! Even when not perfect there are still miles ahead of most bands. trink38.gif

Got to agree with my friend GeddyCrazy. The sound in the arena was not great...though better in the second set. The outdoor arenas have much better sound....'cause there is somewhere for the sound to go, rather than bouncing around a closed stadium! Geddy's voice was great, accept he couldn't hear himself. He kept putting his hands to his ears and then would return to perfect pitch. Hard to do that through a whole show when you have to play bass, keyboards...etc!

And I don't know why...but he cannot sing Subdivisions anymore (pains me to say this). I have seen them 3 times on the TM tour and every time he struggles...but he is still a MACHINE!!!! Though this sounds negative it was still a great show!! The +'s waaaaaay outweighed the couple of -'s!!

Saw the band in Greensboro and agree with all positive comments.

There were video problems early which were fixed. There was a noticeable delay between live action and video and between picture and sound during prerecorded segments. Such are the risks of relying on a big screen. These will probably be worked out as the tour progresses.

We did notice that Neil seems to have gained weight since last year and that he appeared tired. His playing was immaculate, of course, but his demeanor was even more "down" than normal. A friend, who was seeing the band for the first time in a long time, commented on Neil's weight gain, which was apparent during his solo (and the accompanying closeup shots). Anyone else notice this?

All in all, an unforgettable night with the world's greatest band.

WW

A friend of mine got to go in a way that I find awesome. His dad asked him if he wanted to go for a ride on the new bike, an hour later (we live near Atlanta) his dad told him that they were going to see Rush! Best surprise ever!

My ears are still ringing from Saturday night. Great show overall. Exept for the break, nobody moved from the beginning of the intro video to the end of the outro. Sound from the floor was loud, but the bass was a little "muddy".

Yeah, Neil did seem a bit out of shape, but these guys are doing pretty well for a bunch of 60 year-olds. Alex was on fire. The solo in Working Man was rediculous.