What happened with B-Man?

presto123

"Geddy Lee awaited my arrival".

You can almost feel the self-importance. This is my original Hit Parader magazine I mentioned earlier that I just scanned in to give the fans who are unfamiliar with Bill B. an idea of his style. This article is ostensibly about the making of GUP but it begins by describing his history as a fan, ends with his leaving his friends in a limo, and he makes sure to let everyone know about him eating with the band, watching hockey with Geddy, etc.

Nevertheless, the back cover (the GUP ad) is the reason I bought GUP and ultimately became a fan so I can't say anything bad about HP. laugh.gif I think I bought a total of maybe 6 Circus/HP type magazines before I started playing guitar and graduated to actual guitar magazines. I just got lucky with a Rush one.

I've never added an image here before so I hope it works.

http://img835.imageshack.us/f/scanpic0008l.jpg/

http://img695.imageshack.us/f/scanpic0009x.jpg/

http://img812.imageshack.us/f/scanpic0007d.jpg/

Crap, I give up. I can't figure out what the problem is with the extensions but hopefully you guys can just go to the links and see it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but after reading through that article, I'm wondering...

How did they stand this guy? I don't know, though. He might be cool in person but judging by his writing he's extremely self-important. Just the way he wrote that is ridiculous. I don't know what's worse; someone obsessively fawning over Rush... or "B-Man".

Who wants to read about Geddy Lee picking him up at the airport? How is that relevant or interesting? It's just outright bragging, in my opinion.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 21 2011, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 21 2011, 09:15 PM)
Nobody should ever be that obsessed. It's disturbing.

I don't think he was as obsessed with the band as he was with himself. laugh.gif

It certainly seems as though he defined his own identity through his relationship with the band. That's not healthy.

Yeah - it's been a while since I read Visions (and at one time I practically had it memorized). In hindsight, that writing is AWFUL.

His obsession was with letting all the Rush fans know how jealous we should all be of his friendship with the band...I read Visions in the early 90's and still own it. While I did find many tidbits very interesting in those pre-Internet days, the interesting parts were far overshadowed by his ego and constant reminders of his self-importance

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 21 2011, 06:46 PM)
"Geddy Lee awaited my arrival".

You can almost feel the self-importance. This is my original Hit Parader magazine I mentioned earlier that I just scanned in to give the fans who are unfamiliar with Bill B. an idea of his style. This article is ostensibly about the making of GUP but it begins by describing his history as a fan, ends with his leaving his friends in a limo, and he makes sure to let everyone know about him eating with the band, watching hockey with Geddy, etc.

Nevertheless, the back cover (the GUP ad) is the reason I bought GUP and ultimately became a fan so I can't say anything bad about HP. laugh.gif I think I bought a total of maybe 6 Circus/HP type magazines before I started playing guitar and graduated to actual guitar magazines. I just got lucky with a Rush one.

I've never added an image here before so I hope it works.

http://img835.imageshack.us/f/scanpic0008l.jpg/

http://img695.imageshack.us/f/scanpic0009x.jpg/

http://img812.imageshack.us/f/scanpic0007d.jpg/

Crap, I give up. I can't figure out what the problem is with the extensions but hopefully you guys can just go to the links and see it.

Thank you snowdog. I think I actually remember that magazine. GUP is such a great unique record and special to me because that's the time where I got heavily into RUSH AND heavily into drumming.

I have 2 copies of Visions; both purchased in London. I bought 2 of them because there a very few slight differences in photos.

This guy is yet another reason why Rush remains such a closed band and lets nobody in on the inside. I don't blame them!

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 21 2011, 09:13 PM)
How did they stand this guy? I don't know, though. He might be cool in person but judging by his writing he's extremely self-important. Just the way he wrote that is ridiculous. I don't know what's worse; someone obsessively fawning over Rush... or "B-Man".
Who wants to read about Geddy Lee picking him up at the airport? How is that relevant or interesting? It's just outright bragging, in my opinion.

I wonder that myself, Rush is so guarded about there privacy how could they not see through this egotistical leech? You would think they of all people would be extra cautious and selective who gets in there "inner circle"

I'm saying this without COMPLETE background or knowledge on how he was able to weave his way into there trust, just what i read here on this post and others in the past on TRF about B-Man. Perhaps Rush was slightly naive in letting there guard down, but sure is odd for them to do so. wink.gif

(Did read here, B-Man still attends many Rush concerts through the years even after he was null & void with the band.)

QUOTE (softfilter @ Mar 22 2011, 02:18 AM)

I wonder that myself, Rush is so guarded about there privacy how could they not see through this egotistical leech? You would think they of all people would be extra cautious and selective who gets in there "inner circle"

I'm saying this without COMPLETE background or knowledge on how he was able to weave his way into there trust, just what i read here on this post and others in the past on TRF about B-Man. Perhaps Rush was slightly naive in letting there guard down, but sure is odd for them to do so. wink.gif

(Did read here, B-Man still attends many Rush concerts through the years even after he was null & void with the band.)

"Egotistical leech?" Man, some of you people are sure self-righteous. As someone who has met the B-Man at several Rush concerts over the last 15 years or so, I have two conclusions:

1. Bill was young when he wrote these articles/books. Certainly no later than his early 20s. I think this explains the unpolished writing style and the over-exuberance in his work.

2. He is really a nice guy in person. Very easy to talk to and unassuming.

You all are judging the guy on something that happened nearly 25 years ago. Give it a rest. Also remember that until recently, "Visions" was by default the go-to biography for any sort of significant Rush information, especially on the subject of their early years.

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Mar 22 2011, 07:46 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Mar 22 2011, 02:18 AM)

"Egotistical leech?" Man, some of you people are sure self-righteous. As someone who has met the B-Man at several Rush concerts over the last 15 years or so, I have two conclusions:

1. Bill was young when he wrote these articles/books. Certainly no later than his early 20s. I think this explains the unpolished writing style and the over-exuberance in his work.

2. He is really a nice guy in person. Very easy to talk to and unassuming.

You all are judging the guy on something that happened nearly 25 years ago. Give it a rest. Also remember that until recently, "Visions" was by default the go-to biography for any sort of significant Rush information, especially on the subject of their early years.

Peace,

Ron

I appreciate Visions for the encyclopedia-like collection of pictures and anecdotes that couldn't be found anywhere else at the time but all most of us have to go on is his own writing to judge his personality. Going by that, what other conclusion could be made? I can accept that he may be a nice guy now or maybe he always has been and was misunderstood but if that's the case he only has himself to blame. Anyway, I do thank him for the book, it was a treasure in its day.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 22 2011, 08:59 AM)

I appreciate Visions for the encyclopedia-like collection of pictures and anecdotes that couldn't be found anywhere else at the time but all most of us have to go on is his own writing to judge his personality. Going by that, what other conclusion could be made?

You could reasonably conclude that he's a fan that gets excited -- often over-excited -- by Rush. As is the case for about 80% of the people on this board.

One can only imagine the output that would have been produced by most of the people around here had they become close with the band in their late teens.

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Mar 22 2011, 08:05 AM)

I appreciate Visions for the encyclopedia-like collection of pictures and anecdotes that couldn't be found anywhere else at the time but all most of us have to go on is his own writing to judge his personality. Going by that, what other conclusion could be made?

You could reasonably conclude that he's a fan that gets excited -- often over-excited -- by Rush. As is the case for about 80% of the people on this board.

One can only imagine the output that would have been produced by most of the people around here had they become close with the band in their late teens.

Peace,

Ron

Ok, fair enough.

I appreciate Visions for the encyclopedia-like collection of pictures and anecdotes that couldn't be found anywhere else at the time but all most of us have to go on is his own writing to judge his personality. Going by that, what other conclusion could be made? I can accept that he may be a nice guy now or maybe he always has been and was misunderstood but if that's the case he only has himself to blame. Anyway, I do thank him for the book, it was a treasure in its day.

I agree that Visions was a treasure back in the day. Finding anything at all on Rush was a rarity; I used to buy Kerrang here in the UK and scan it avidly for any mention of Rush. Now, thanks to the internet, we know what colour socks the guys wear day by day.

In some ways it's better now, in some ways not.

Archived