Banana questions (2 of them)

1. Is it just me, or do you hate those little strings that get stuck to the banana?

2. How do you peel your banana? Grabbing the "handle" at the top, or pinching the bottom. (I pinch the "bottom")

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 16 2011, 10:21 AM)
i peel from the top but i like the way the monkees do it which is pinch it. the strings don't bother me and i prefer chiquita.

I've never seen Mickey, Davey, Peter & Mike peel bananas. What episode was that? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 16 2011, 09:32 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 16 2011, 10:21 AM)
i peel from the top but i like the way the monkees do it which is pinch it.  the strings don't bother me and i prefer chiquita.

I've never seen Mickey, Davey, Peter & Mike peel bananas. What episode was that? tongue.gif

tongue.gif

Open from top (peel down).

HATE the stringgys!

I like bananas right when they are just yellow. No green, no brown. Hard to find that window in time when they are just perfect for eating IMO.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 16 2011, 10:49 AM)

HATE the stringgys!

I like bananas right when they are just yellow. No green, no brown. Hard to find that window in time when they are just perfect for eating IMO.

that's why i only buy them 1 at a time.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 16 2011, 09:49 AM)

HATE the stringgys!

True - as far as eating goes. I little brown is ok with me quite a bit of brown makes great smoothies, and a lot of brown makes great banana bread biggrin.gif

I've tried opening from the bottom just recently (like the monkeys do.. not Monkees tongue.gif) and it is a lot easier. Plus then you have a nice handle to hold onto when you get towards the bottom!

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 16 2011, 11:15 AM)
I've tried opening from the bottom just recently (like the monkeys do.. not Monkees tongue.gif) and it is a lot easier. Plus then you have a nice handle to hold onto when you get towards the bottom!

This is the way I peel them, too. The 'strings'are more likely to pull away with the peel.

This method is also eating them from the 'top' down to the 'bottom'. The stalk end is the bottom of the fruit... where it attaches to the banana tree. Bananas grow in bunches UP from the stalk of the tree... toward the sun.

See here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pun...banana_tree.jpg

And, I like my bananas just as they turn yellow with a teeney weeny bit of green to them... I cannot eat a soft mushy banana. I like bananas with a bit of firmness to them smile.gif

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Mar 16 2011, 10:49 AM)
And, I like my bananas just as they turn yellow with a teeney weeny bit of green to them... I cannot eat a soft mushy banana.  I like bananas with a bit of firmness to them smile.gif

Who doesn't like their bananas to be a little firm? cool.gif

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 16 2011, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 16 2011, 09:49 AM)

HATE the stringgys!

I like bananas right when they are just yellow.  No green, no brown.  Hard to find that window in time when they are just perfect for eating IMO.

True - as far as eating goes. I little brown is ok with me quite a bit of brown makes great smoothies, and a lot of brown makes great banana bread biggrin.gif

i like to add the overly ripe ones to pancake batter. adds great flavor.

Love bananas--my potassium source. Put it in cereal, make smoothies from them, etc. Peel from the top and no, I don't mind the little strings that are on them.

Now, as for banana cream pie, yummo. I haven't had one in a long time, but am now craving one!

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 16 2011, 01:35 PM)
1. Is it just me, or do you hate those little strings that get stuck to the banana?
2. How do you peel your banana? Grabbing the "handle" at the top, or pinching the bottom. (I pinch the "bottom")

I hate those strings - can't bear to touch them. *shudder*

I was at one of my husband's tennis tournaments some years ago. He had a match after dark, and during one of the breaks he asked me to "please get an energy bar out of the bag in the trunk."

I stuck my hand into the bag and promptly encountered the slimy, icky peel of the banana he'd eaten prior to the match. You'd have thought I'd just stuck my hand in a wasp nest!

Told him later that he was not permitted to eat bananas in my vehicle, never mind leave the peel there. It took too long for the banana odor to leave.

That's one of my big irritations with bananas - they are OVERWHELMING. If someone's just peeled one within a 100 ft. radius of you, you know it. They ruin fruit salad, because after the bananas have been mixed in with the rest of the fruit, EVERYTHING tastes like banana. Even if you pick them out.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 17 2011, 09:35 AM)
Fried bananas and warm ice cream drool1.gif common001.gif

mmmm, I love to fry bananas when I cannot find a plantain to fry. yummy!