Most influential television shows

Tom Sawyer

January marked the 40th anniversary of a amazingly ground-breaking sitcom - All in the Family, a show that dealt with taboo subjects such as racism, homophobia, bigotry, religion, atheism and number of other issues. My opinion is that this sitcom stands and remains the MOST influential television show to ever air in the U.S. The second would be M*A*S*H as it also dealt with these subjects but also the aftermath of war and the "anti-establishment" issues so prevalent during the latter 60's and the Vietnam conflict.

Two of my favorite shows, I still like watching them, the acting (especially Carroll O'Connor) and writing was superb!!

I watch those two show on re-run from time to time. They are well written and still relevant.

I still tune in to 60 Minutes, too.

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Feb 4 2011, 03:18 PM)
January marked the 40th anniversary of a amazingly ground-breaking sitcom - All in the Family, a show that dealt with taboo subjects such as racism, homophobia, bigotry, religion, atheism and number of other issues. My opinion is that this sitcom stands and remains the MOST influential television show to ever air in the U.S. The second would be M*A*S*H as it also dealt with these subjects but also the aftermath of war and the "anti-establishment" issues so prevalent during the latter 60's and the Vietnam conflict.

Two of my favorite shows, I still like watching them, the acting (especially Carroll O'Connor) and writing was superb!!

two great shows. all in the family was great up until the meathead moved out. mash was great up until trapper left.

Just about any of the Norman Lear shows like All in the Family. There were the spinoffs of "Maude", who was Archie's ultra liberal cousin in law, whose most popular and controversial episode dealing with abortion. And then there's "Good Times", the Maude spinoff which is about living in Chicago's ghetto that tackled issues as rascism, drug abuse, gangs, unemployment, child abuse, etc...

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 4 2011, 02:13 PM)
January marked the 40th anniversary of a amazingly ground-breaking sitcom  - All in the Family, a show that dealt with taboo subjects such as racism, homophobia, bigotry, religion, atheism and number of other issues. My opinion is that this sitcom stands and remains the MOST influential television show to ever air in the U.S. The second would be M*A*S*H as it also dealt with these subjects but also the aftermath of war and the "anti-establishment" issues so prevalent during the latter 60's and the Vietnam conflict.

two great shows. all in the family was great up until the meathead moved out. mash was great up until trapper left.

Definately I agree with you on the AitF dive after the meathead moved out.

M*A*S*H was .. okay in season 4 but 5 and beyond sucked worse and worse.

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Feb 4 2011, 08:18 PM)

You do realise that All in the Family was based on a British TV show called "Til Death do us Part" and the British show was substantially more Racist, Homophobic, Bigoted etc. etc. than anything that would be shown on US TV?

I learned this from the Daily mail newspaper today, that where the UK leads the US follows - badly.

So try programmes like:

Pipkins

Stepping Stones

Rainbow

Sooty and Sweep

Blue Peter

The Sweeney.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Feb 4 2011, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Feb 4 2011, 08:18 PM)
January marked the 40th anniversary of a amazingly ground-breaking sitcom  - All in the Family, a show that dealt with taboo subjects such as racism, homophobia, bigotry, religion, atheism and number of other issues. My opinion is that this sitcom stands and remains the MOST influential television show to ever air in the U.S. The second would be M*A*S*H as it also dealt with these subjects but also the aftermath of war and the "anti-establishment" issues so prevalent during the latter 60's and the Vietnam conflict.

You do realise that All in the Family was based on a British TV show called "Til Death do us Part" and the British show was substantially more Racist, Homophobic, Bigoted etc. etc. than anything that would be shown on US TV?

I learned this from the Daily mail newspaper today, that where the UK leads the US follows - badly.

So try programmes like:

Pipkins

Stepping Stones

Rainbow

Sooty and Sweep

Blue Peter

The Sweeney.

The Archie character was originally created more abrasive and mean spirited, O'Connor changed that, he made the character very likable and more uptight and frustrated more than down right mean.

I knew about the show was based on a uk show.

The chemistry between Archie, Edith and meathead was absolutely genius to say the least!!

I remember when Married with Children first came out, there was a huge backlash among the Christian community. These days those early episodes seem pretty tame. The show got kind of stupid in its later years.

Same with The Simpsons... the elder Bush even attacked them, but these days they're one of the more tame animated shows on TV.

Edited by shaun3701

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Feb 6 2011, 05:04 PM)
I remember when Married with Children first came out, there was a huge backlash among the Christian community. These days those early episodes seem pretty tame. The show got kind of stupid in its later years.

Same with The Simpsons... the elder Bush even attacked them, but these days they're one of the more tame animated shows on TV.

I forgot about Married With Children... It was far and away the fledgling Fox Network's #1 show every week. The 'controversy' it created only made more people watch it.

Compared to what they put on TV now it is like going to see a Pixar movie! tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 4 2011, 04:13 PM)

I think M*A*S*H* had its big fall off after Major Burns left.

Actually, The Mary Tyler Moore show was pretty influential. It premiered in September 1970, just a few months prior to All in the Family.

While not controversial like All in the Family, it was the first show of its kind. When the show and the script were given to CBS for review, they hated the concept, or the initial ones. Other shows at CBS prior to MTM, were rural in nature (Hee Haw, Green Acres, etc...) whereas MTM show was about a single girl in the city trying to "make it afterall". Current issues were brought into the show. The character of Rhoda, being an openly Jewish character, caused some upset at CBS. It was the first sitcom whose target audience was the young urbanite. Women's lib was subtly brought into the show - that of the professional working woman who holds an important title of a TV show producer.

The Twilight Zone

All in The Family

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Soap

Hill Street Blues

Never understood the love of M*A*S*H...the show was just not that funny, IMO.

The writing for M*A*S*H started getting all drab and preachy toward politics and ant-war and making a statement and they dumped the fun and frolicy humor that made the show a success in the first place.

"Hill Street Blues" stands out as perhaps one of the best written & influential TV dramas.

The acting & writing was exceptional, but the whole feel of the show - the grimey atmosphere of the police station, the cross-over conversations, the "swaying" camera work; the "ordinary" looks of the actors (compared to the super-attractive puppets in modern TV dramas); the fact that each episode didn't always end happily.

A great show that looks dated now in terms of looks, but everything else is still crisp.

"Hawaii Five-0" (and I'm talking about the original and much better version) was the first TV drama to be filmed completely on location in Hawaii and not in Los Angeles.

It was very instrumental in boosting tourism to the state and one of the things that made the show successful was the amazing natural scenery in the backdrop. It provided a sense of escape even if you couldn't physically be there.

Very successful drama which ran from 1968 - 1980.

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 8 2011, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 9 2011, 10:26 AM)
Sopranos

Great show. But that seems more like it was influenced by films than it actually influencing movies or other shows.

It is influential to television because it helped spawned shows like Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, The Wire, The Shield etc. in terms of bringing gritty drama to tv.

never liked M.A.S.H. - didn't get it. It was supposed to be funny, but I never laughed.

Influential shows:

Simpsons (started a resurgence of animated primetime shows)

Survivor (started this rash of reality shows)

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 9 2011, 11:06 AM)
never liked M.A.S.H. - didn't get it. It was supposed to be funny, but I never laughed.

Influential shows:
Simpsons (started a resurgence of animated primetime shows)
Survivor (started this rash of reality shows)

I never cared for MASH either. Interesting in that the theme song's title is about suicide. Can't remember the title offhand.

and when you say "rash" in this context, I think poison ivy.