Spiders

furie

Here are some good photos:

Black Widow:

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Nature/Spiders/Misc/SanJacintoAdultBlackWidow.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2673645057_c79b66d728.jpg

Brown Recluse:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Loxosceles_reclusa_adult_male_1.jpg

Sydney Funnel Web:

http://www.spiderzrule.com/spider507/spider%20orig.JPG

http://image28.webshots.com/29/0/52/75/237705275tprJDi_fs.jpg

Camel Spider:

http://freecodesource.com/myspace-graphics/images_db/802/CamelSpiderPoster.jpg

Great Diving Spider:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/9/13150204_08df09fbce_o.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't have an exceptional fear of spiders, but i do have respect for them.

one day on my way to work, a tiny little tan spider decended from a drag line from my rear view mirror.

huh.gif

we stared at each other for a moment,

i was hauling ass down the freeway thinking a freak-owt might not be good right now.

i casually slipped my left hand over to the controls on the driver door panel,

and pushed the button to roll down the passenger side window.

*wheeeeeee*

it sucked him right out!

and i rolled up the window again smile.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 21 2011, 09:35 PM)
I used to live in Ithaca, NY and there were these furry spiders that had some kind of crunchy shell and the buggers would leap in the air. Scared the friggin pants off of me and my housemates. I still check the whole tub before getting in the shower.

These sound more like cave crickets, or camel crickets to me, than spiders. The little f*ckers can jump like crazy...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Z2wo1IA3tIk/SRKyj6gkM2I/AAAAAAAAC_I/CQu3DBLquhc/PA252257_Blog.jpg

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 21 2011, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Jan 21 2011, 10:35 AM)
I never used to mind spiders, that is, until I got to Iraq and met one of these badass mofos on the flip side of my pillow:

http://pestcommand.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/camel-spider.jpg

I screamed like a BITCH.  ph34r.gif

um, i haven't read this whole thread thru yet, but

can i just take a second to thank you for your service and spider tolerance?

wub.gif

But of course! And thank you kindly. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 21 2011, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 21 2011, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 21 2011, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 21 2011, 05:30 PM)
I take it you're not scared of them, Jaye...

No, I love them! wub.gif When we see them in the house, we usually just leave them to wander about. I mean, it's not like they're in the way or doing any harm. smile.gif

Now, if we were in a country where there were large, venomous spiders, then of course we'd try to get rid of them. But only by putting them outside. We'd never kill them, and we hate when people do. sad.gif

You're a lot braver than me, Jaye - I have to get my husband to get rid of them. I don't like to kill them either - I just scream like a girl..(!)

I never understood been afraid of them. confused13.gif They're a lot smaller than you are, and with the venomous ones, it's a lot easier for you to harm (or preferably trap) them than for them to harm you! So what's so scary about them?? wacko.gif

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jan 21 2011, 09:01 PM)
Spiders and i coexist in my house. They are my spider bros.

trink39.gif

The thing is, I know they're tiny, but I also know it's an irrational fear. Having said that, I can recall two instances: one time, when I was a child, I saw one on a floor, looking like it was dead, curled up in a roll of Christmas paper, so I picked it up by a leg, it "woke" up & I screamed hysterically & shook it away - it was okay, it lived. The other time, I saw one crawl up my leg - the whole house heard the screams...

I do understand that they are fairly harmless. Well, some of them; I just saw some pics & I almost jumped out of my skin.

One more thing: eight years ago, when I was in Jersey (Channel Islands), I went to the Gold Museum. In a clear box were gold ingot bars, one baby tarantula & loads of crickets. The man next to me was looking at the tarantula & was quite clearly quivering with fear.

In my case it's spider after spider and poisonous ones as well. I have pets where these things are crawling around. I have these god-awful wolf spiders with hair and hard shell spiders. I had one of the hard shell f***ers crawl in my hair when I was in my hot tub. My house is on some kind of spiderland they never truly go away. The latest ones we've found are bright orange, creepy looking!

QUOTE (2112Oracle @ Jan 21 2011, 06:53 PM)
I know I'm going to sound like a strange person, but, I actually have a deep appreciation for spiders. I always have. Along with snakes, but, anyways...

Yeah, spiders are pretty cool. They, at least, eat the flies that give humans bad diseases, so, they help us. The reason why they attack us, is because we keep killing them. They're so misunderstood. Snakes fall under that category, as well.

Nature is just trying to fight back. And, I allow it to, because I am both humanitarian and an animal conservationist. Insects shouldn't be excluded from that conservation act. I mean, they still have blood, a heart, and a brain. That makes them living.

God, I feel a hell of a lot better getting that out.

I love snakes! They taste like chicken.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 21 2011, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 21 2011, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (2112Oracle @ Jan 21 2011, 11:53 PM)
I know I'm going to sound like a strange person, but, I actually have a deep appreciation for spiders. I always have. Along with snakes, but, anyways...

Yeah, spiders are pretty cool. They, at least, eat the flies that give humans bad diseases, so, they help us. The reason why they attack us, is because we keep killing them. They're so misunderstood. Snakes fall under that category, as well.

Nature is just trying to fight back. And, I allow it to, because I am both humanitarian and an animal conservationist. Insects shouldn't be excluded from that conservation act. I mean, they still have blood, a heart, and a brain. That makes them living.

God, I feel a hell of a lot better getting that out.

You speak truth. smile.gif

Spiders and snakes are only defending themselves, as you all would do if something threatened you. wink.gif

I leave spiders alone too, and snakes are the reason the planet's not overrun with rodents. (Though I did shoot the copperhead I found in my yard last year. Those things aren't lethal to humans, but their bite could kill a dog, and I've got two).

Except for the spiders, anything in my house with more than four legs WILL die. Sorry, but I have a tough time extending humanitarian and conservationist sympathies towards these:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/tollboothwilley13/Business/AmericanRoach.jpg

My husband has to kill those, though, when they show up. I don't like the "crunch" they make when you step on them.

Yeah, I have my dad kill those, too. I hate them so much. And when I was little, I caught a cockroach and it was on my ceiling. I took it to the toilet and said bye and sorry to it, and flushed it down.

sad.gif

I still feel bad, though.

And, thank you for agreeing with me, Jaye. That makes my day, right there. biggrin.gif

If you have one of those "canned air" dust remover sprayers, turn it upside down and spray it and you can see the spray besause inverting it makes the liquid in the can come out first instead of it's vapors You'll also notice that it's very cold. If you spray a spider with the can inverted it will flash-freeze the spider. The bad part is that if you touch the spider afterwards whatever part of it you touch will break off so scoop it up with a piece of paper should you kill one this way.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jan 21 2011, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jan 22 2011, 10:01 AM)
Spiders and i coexist in my house. They are my spider bros.

I ALWAYS catch and release. Then again we don't get the nasty shit like Aussie has...yet scared.gif

I used to do that since I do like spiders because they eat mosquitos. However, one day about four years ago, I found a small green spider on my center console as I was parking my truck. I picked it up to let it out, but the little bastard bit my finger and it was sore for a week. Never again!

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jan 21 2011, 10:08 PM)
Here are some good photos:

VS, do you have the ability to make those pictures smaller? They're way too big to appreciate. If you have Photobucket you can shrink and store them in there. 600-700 pixels wide usually works good for message boards.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 22 2011, 03:58 PM)
If you have one of those "canned air" dust remover sprayers, turn it upside down and spray it and you can see the spray besause inverting it makes the liquid in the can come out first instead of it's vapors You'll also notice that it's very cold. If you spray a spider with the can inverted it will flash-freeze the spider. The bad part is that if you touch the spider afterwards whatever part of it you touch will break off so scoop it up with a piece of paper should you kill one this way.

The liquid is also highly flammable, so if you really hate spiders...I'm just sayin. 1287.gif

late summer i was shaking off a rug just outside the front door. it had just dried up from the rain. i put it on the ground and there was a black widow on it. never saw one before. i didn't want to kill it but i also didn't want it around my area. so i put it near the woods and let it go it's merry way. it tipped over on it's backside when i put it down and saw the red hour glass. yup it was a female. didn't want to get bit by it. wasn't aggressive at all.

theres also some funky brown or wolf spiders in the area. some of them are pretty quick. on one occasion i found one on my outdoor umbrella when i was putting it up. i tried to whisk it off with a stick but it wanted to stay. while i was doing this it changed to a green color in like a 1/2 a second. never seen anything like it. wish i had the video recorder on hand.

spiders are cool. they eat other insects i don't care for. just as long as you don't get bit it's all good. that one pic of the spider in iraq is freaking scary.

I forgot to mention that while I'm pretty tolerant of spiders, my sister is another story. A few years ago, she kept getting these horrible sores on her legs, and the doctor soon figured out they were spider bites. The search was on to find the bugger, and my brother-in-law finally discovered it up under the steering column in her car. It was a pretty big bugger. She's horribly afraid of them to begin with since she had a banana spider crawl up her arm when she was little. It had been trapped in a Christmas package from my grandparents from Florida and was anxious to escape when she unwrapped the package!

I also had a high school friend who got a job in the maintenance department at his college grab a tool once, black widow spider (who happened to be on the handle) and all. He had to have IV antidote, not continuously, but for ten days in a row. The ultimate pain came when his health insurance refused to cover the treatment, which was in the neighborhood of a few thousand bucks. He was broke for awhile.

I was once in my bf's kitchen after we had come back from a long hike in the bush. And I saw this shadow on the paper towel.. it was a big ass spider. I was like... "Ummm baby, come take a look at this" He comes in and sees it and is like "Holy shit"... he takes the paper towel roll and whacks it in the sink so the spider falls off and turns on the tap full blast to wash it down the drain. Then he put the plug in and filled up the sink just in case the spider decided to crawl back up the drain pipe. laugh.gif I thought this was weird because previously I had seen him take an rogue ant in the house and take it to the elevator and press the ground floor with it on there for the ride. Most people would have just killed it. laugh.gif I guess he really doesn't like spiders.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 22 2011, 01:58 PM)

SCIENCE

IN

ACTION!!!

Thanks, Jack! 1287.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Jan 21 2011, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Jan 21 2011, 10:35 AM)
I never used to mind spiders, that is, until I got to Iraq and met one of these badass mofos on the flip side of my pillow:

http://pestcommand.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/camel-spider.jpg

I screamed like a BITCH.  ph34r.gif

um, i haven't read this whole thread thru yet, but

can i just take a second to thank you for your service and spider tolerance?

wub.gif

That's not a spider, it's a scorpion.

So you don't need to be afraid of it anymore. smile.gif

I ADORE spiders. They look beautiful to me.

Archived