Spiders

furie

I don't hate spiders.

However this morning i had a spider event. I was in the elevator at work headed to the third floor where i work. I had in my left hand, a 20oz cup of tea (earl grey) and balanced on top of that, a buttered hard roll. Also in the elevator was a young woman from some other company. Never saw her before. Anyhoo, Halfway up, i saw a brown dot/small blob land on my left arm by the wrist. it fell from the ceiling i guess. i looked at it for a second and pad it no mind. UNTIL...., the legs spread out from it and it started to crawl up my arm.

I f***ing freaked. shouted BWAHHH! and shook my left arm while swiping at the spider with my right. the roll fell to the floor, tea sprayed all over me, and that poor girl must have assumed i was a madman.

I assume I got it. The doors opened, i turned to the girl and said "...Spider...."

http://i.imgur.com/Zprxa.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gah, don't you love how one little spider can ruin your whole breakfast! Not to mention your clothes!

I hate killing anything, including bugs and spiders, so I'll often let them be unless they really go on the move/come near me. Then, I'll try to move them outside or kill them as a last resort. I had one spider live in my window all summer, and another that lived up under the drawers in my kitchen for most of a year. I could never find exactly where he went, so I gave up. I'd only see him when other bugs had the misfortune to crawl into his corner. The only thing I didn't realize is exactly how much spiders poo - man, he'd go all over the floor and I got stuck with regular cleanup duty! That's how I knew he died/moved on...no more poo. Kinda sad in my freakish sensibility. I think only I could miss a "pet" spider.

QUOTE (furie @ Jan 21 2011, 03:09 AM)
I don't hate spiders.

However this morning i had a spider event. I was in the elevator at work headed to the third floor where i work. I had in my left hand, a 20oz cup of tea (earl grey) and balanced on top of that, a buttered hard roll. Also in the elevator was a young woman from some other company. Never saw her before. Anyhoo, Halfway up, i saw a brown dot/small blob land on my left arm by the wrist. it fell from the ceiling i guess. i looked at it for a second and pad it no mind. UNTIL...., the legs spread out from it and it started to crawl up my arm.

I f***ing freaked. shouted BWAHHH! and shook my left arm while swiping at the spider with my right. the roll fell to the floor, tea sprayed all over me, and that poor girl must have assumed i was a madman.

I assume I got it. The doors opened, i turned to the girl and said "...Spider...."

http://i.imgur.com/Zprxa.jpg

You've never heard me scream then... *shudder* ph34r.gif

I HATE spiders1 My house is spiderville, I'm always killing the damn things. When we first moved in we vacated the house one day a month for 6 months to bomb and kill them all. The vacuum has become my good friend in removing spiders from my house!

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Jan 21 2011, 05:35 PM)
I never used to mind spiders, that is, until I got to Iraq and met one of these badass mofos on the flip side of my pillow:

http://pestcommand.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/camel-spider.jpg

I screamed like a BITCH. ph34r.gif

S***! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 21 2011, 05:30 PM)
I take it you're not scared of them, Jaye...

No, I love them! wub.gif When we see them in the house, we usually just leave them to wander about. I mean, it's not like they're in the way or doing any harm. smile.gif

Now, if we were in a country where there were large, venomous spiders, then of course we'd try to get rid of them. But only by putting them outside. We'd never kill them, and we hate when people do. sad.gif

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Jan 21 2011, 12:56 PM)
Thank god it's winter. But after what syrinxpriest told I don't want to go to bed anymore... I hate spiders, I am so afraid of them. Summer is almost impossible time for me, then there are spiders everywhere

laugh.gif

Sorry to kill your sleep, man. I didn't sleep for like 3 days after that. Now I sleep with my 9mm under my pillow. I will shoot a spider. I don't give a f**k.

I killed the one in the picture with a ka-bar knife. Those camel spiders are serious business. If you're feeling ballsy, you should google search some of the bite wounds from them. Nasty stuff.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 21 2011, 05:48 PM)

No, I love them! wub.gif When we see them in the house, we usually just leave them to wander about. I mean, it's not like they're in the way or doing any harm. smile.gif

Now, if we were in a country where there were large, venomous spiders, then of course we'd try to get rid of them. But only by putting them outside. We'd never kill them, and we hate when people do. sad.gif

You're a lot braver than me, Jaye - I have to get my husband to get rid of them. I don't like to kill them either - I just scream like a girl..(!)

My husband is totally freaked out over spiders. Woe betide the spider who dares creep into DH's line of site. He'll grab a shoe and hammer the poor critter repeatedly, till it's not just dead but pulverized into microscopic particles.

I bet there are bits of dead spider embedded in our home's subfloors - DH is that violent about exterminating them.

I know I'm going to sound like a strange person, but, I actually have a deep appreciation for spiders. I always have. Along with snakes, but, anyways...

Yeah, spiders are pretty cool. They, at least, eat the flies that give humans bad diseases, so, they help us. The reason why they attack us, is because we keep killing them. They're so misunderstood. Snakes fall under that category, as well.

Nature is just trying to fight back. And, I allow it to, because I am both humanitarian and an animal conservationist. Insects shouldn't be excluded from that conservation act. I mean, they still have blood, a heart, and a brain. That makes them living.

God, I feel a hell of a lot better getting that out.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 21 2011, 06:11 PM)

You're a lot braver than me, Jaye - I have to get my husband to get rid of them. I don't like to kill them either - I just scream like a girl..(!)

I never understood been afraid of them. confused13.gif They're a lot smaller than you are, and with the venomous ones, it's a lot easier for you to harm (or preferably trap) them than for them to harm you! So what's so scary about them?? wacko.gif

QUOTE (King Whompus @ Jan 21 2011, 09:01 PM)
Spiders and i coexist in my house. They are my spider bros.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (2112Oracle @ Jan 21 2011, 11:53 PM)
I know I'm going to sound like a strange person, but, I actually have a deep appreciation for spiders. I always have. Along with snakes, but, anyways...

Yeah, spiders are pretty cool. They, at least, eat the flies that give humans bad diseases, so, they help us. The reason why they attack us, is because we keep killing them. They're so misunderstood. Snakes fall under that category, as well.

Nature is just trying to fight back. And, I allow it to, because I am both humanitarian and an animal conservationist. Insects shouldn't be excluded from that conservation act. I mean, they still have blood, a heart, and a brain. That makes them living.

You speak truth. smile.gif

Spiders and snakes are only defending themselves, as you all would do if something threatened you. wink.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 21 2011, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (2112Oracle @ Jan 21 2011, 11:53 PM)

You speak truth. smile.gif

Spiders and snakes are only defending themselves, as you all would do if something threatened you. wink.gif

I leave spiders alone too, and snakes are the reason the planet's not overrun with rodents. (Though I did shoot the copperhead I found in my yard last year. Those things aren't lethal to humans, but their bite could kill a dog, and I've got two).

Except for the spiders, anything in my house with more than four legs WILL die. Sorry, but I have a tough time extending humanitarian and conservationist sympathies towards these:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/tollboothwilley13/Business/AmericanRoach.jpg

My husband has to kill those, though, when they show up. I don't like the "crunch" they make when you step on them.

I frikkin' hate spiders. My father had a brown recluse bite once on his ankle and the damn thing rotted to the bone. It took 4 months for it to heal. That was in North Carolina. I was living in Richmond, Virginia years ago and had a new home built and running down the property line dividing my home from the one next to me was a burlap erosion barrier held up by stakes that ran the length of the yard. I want down one summer day to pull it down and I reached up into where the burlap folded over on itself and I felt many many many many tiny little legs all over my hands and fingers.....I reflexively pulled my hands away and began to scream like a girl in a slasher movie, and looked down and saw about 20 black widow spiders crawling all over the ground. Needless to say, I was one lucky dude. I had nightmares about that event for a long time.

I used to live in Ithaca, NY and there were these furry spiders that had some kind of crunchy shell and the buggers would leap in the air. Scared the friggin pants off of me and my housemates. I still check the whole tub before getting in the shower.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jan 21 2011, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Jan 21 2011, 06:11 PM)

I never understood been afraid of them. confused13.gif They're a lot smaller than you are, and with the venomous ones, it's a lot easier for you to harm (or preferably trap) them than for them to harm you! So what's so scary about them?? wacko.gif

I like (most) spiders too. But there are some that are major venomous, and it's a lot easier to just kill them than it is to look at one and decide if it's harmful or not.

It's our reflexive, lizard hind brain at work smile.gif

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Jan 21 2011, 10:35 AM)
I never used to mind spiders, that is, until I got to Iraq and met one of these badass mofos on the flip side of my pillow:

http://pestcommand.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/camel-spider.jpg

I screamed like a BITCH. ph34r.gif

um, i haven't read this whole thread thru yet, but

can i just take a second to thank you for your service and spider tolerance?

wub.gif

Archived