Check Out KARNIVOOL

spock

There aren't many bands that really catch my attention. I've been a RUSH fan since 1979 and the first band that really kept me listening since RUSH was TOOL and then Porcupine Tree.

I read an article in Guitar Player on KARNIVOOL and thought: why not? Not a great name but I got over that with PT...WOW - check out Sound Awake. Amazing! I haven't stopped spinning that disc for a week.

What a coincidence, I just picked up an album by them, having not heard much by them before.... I got the first album "Themata" very good...

Reminds me of a cross between "Pain of Salvation" and another good band "Sieges Even"

I've been meaning to check these guys out since I heard they were doing a show with PT last year. I need to get in gear and "sample" some of their stuff. They came through here (St. Louis) not long after their show with PT in SF. I passed on it, since it was a weeknight.

Hehe, good to see Karnivool getting a mention on these forums.

They were playing here for years before finally getting recognized nationally and then internationally (Perth has a piss poor live music scene). They put on a great show, and Ian Kenny has some rediculous pipes.

Themata is IMO their best work.

If you like Karnivool, be sure to check out the boys from Bondi, COG - who sit in roughly the same prog-metal category. 'The New Normal' is a great album.

I downloaded both Sound Awake and Themata last night. I'm listening to Sound Awake right now, I like it a lot.

The vocals on a few of the songs sound somewhat like SoaD and the music is very much like Riverside and Tool, with a PT twist. Interesting stuff!!

Wish I had more time to listen to it today, I'll be in a meeting the rest of the day. Maybe I'll burn them to CDs and listen at home tonight.

I noticed some pretty bad clipping though (see Vapor Trails). I hope the actual CD production is better.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jan 7 2011, 07:30 AM)
I downloaded both Sound Awake and Themata last night. I'm listening to Sound Awake right now, I like it a lot.

The vocals on a few of the songs sound somewhat like SoaD and the music is very much like Riverside and Tool, with a PT twist. Interesting stuff!!

Wish I had more time to listen to it today, I'll be in a meeting the rest of the day. Maybe I'll burn them to CDs and listen at home tonight.

I noticed some pretty bad clipping though (see Vapor Trails). I hope the actual CD production is better.

I LOVE the track "Set Fire to the Hive," on Sound Awake.

I downloaded Themata last night, but haven't listened yet.

There may be a slight bit of clipping on Sound Awake. I'm listening on my computer right now, and it's not too bad. NOTHING like the Agalloch I downloaded. It's seriously f'ed up.

They are really different albums. Which makes sense they were made 5 years apart. I like em both a lot. As a side note the singer sounds just like that in concert, and they put on a tremendous show. But he's a total spaz on stage. His dancing has it's face book page called the Ian Kenny dance Appreciation page.

QUOTE (The Maples @ Jan 7 2011, 02:18 PM)
They are really different albums. Which makes sense they were made 5 years apart. I like em both a lot. As a side note the singer sounds just like that in concert, and they put on a tremendous show. But he's a total spaz on stage. His dancing has it's face book page called the Ian Kenny dance Appreciation page.

I didn't know that. Why so much time between releases? I'll have to read up on them.

That is hilarious about the singer. On Fear of the Sky, his voice sounds a lot like Todd Lewis, the singer for Toadies and Burden Bros.

OK, I burned both albums onto CD and have been listening to them since I got home. I love this band!!!

The CDs sound much better than the songs did on my iPod this morning.

So far, Sound Awake gets the nod from me, but there's some really great stuff on Themata.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Jan 7 2011, 07:31 PM)
I knew I'd be kicking myself in the ass if I didn't go see them when they came here. I was right!!

Damn, good shit!!

If they're wrapping up a tour, wouldn't it follow that they would gear up to start writing new material soon? That would be all kinds of awesome.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 7 2011, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (tjtull @ Jan 7 2011, 07:31 PM)
I knew I'd be kicking myself in the ass if I didn't go see them when they came here.  I was right!!

Damn, good shit!!

If they're wrapping up a tour, wouldn't it follow that they would gear up to start writing new material soon? That would be all kinds of awesome.

Very true, something to look forward to for sure!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived