The Official Beatles Thread

Soni

I wish Abbey Road dropped either "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" or "Octopus's Garden" for one of the great many songs (preferably a George song) that never made it onto a Beatles album.

you leave Abbey alone. She is beautiful the way she is. And her Octopuses Garden is amazing fun. Love it. Leave her be!

I can understand the no-tamper sentiments, especially concerning Octopus's Garden, but I'd be more than happy seeing Maxwell's Silver Hammer relegated to a b-side. Maybe it's that I can't get the image of a prancing Steve Martin out of my head when I hear it (I don't have a problem with Steve Martin, but rather the context), or maybe it's just a sub-par song for the Beatles. Likely both.

I do prefer "Octopus's Garden" over "Maxwell's Silver Hammer". I really enjoy the guitars on "Octopus's Garden", fun stuff. But I think it one "joke" song too many for a single album. I can't help but think of all the GREAT songs that would, in my opinion, make an already fabulous album even better.

• Like 1

I love the jokey songs! They balance out the weighty She's So Heavy and Something perfectly! Nah...side A is perfection in my book.

side B is still very pleasant...

1. The White Album

2. Magical Mystery Tour

3. Sgt Pepper

4. Abbey Road

5. Let it Be (Why doesn't it have Don't Let Me Down on it? WHY? Ironic.)

Why doesn't Sgt. Pepper have Strawberry Fields Forever or Penny Lane? Why doesn't Revolver have Rain or Paperback Writer? Why doesn't the White Album have Hey Jude?

I still don't know!

Sgt Pepper's lack of Strawberry / Penny is what pushes Magical Mystery tour up above it.

I can help .

The Beatles always prided themselves of not ripping of fans by putting singles on albums .

Sgt. Pepper for me the greatest album ever , took more time than usual to record than the last Beatle albums and E.M.I. were getting a bit nervy and asked the Fab Four for a single .

At the time The Beatles had two songs ready for their new album Pepper .

Strawberry and Penny Lane .

So on the 17th of Feb 1967(My 5th Birthday !) they released one of the finest singles ever to grace the charts.

Magical Mystery Tour was an E.P.

Hey Jude . Single . so no chance of it appearing on any official album .

Let It Be was never meant to be released at the time .

They released Get Back / Dont Let Me Down in April 1969 .

By time Let It Be came out in 1970 The Beatles had split up

You get the roof top Get Back version on the album , so still no Single on an album .

Finally in 2003 Don`t Let Me Down was put on Let It Be Naked . ( All different versions ) (Well Naked, no Spector production )

Simple .

The albums then as now are all masterpieces and are not going to be messed about .

Why would you want too . ;)

A bit of Trivia .

There is one Single track that did appear on a official Beatle album . Yellow Submarine .

But the album was a Soundtrack Track to .. Yellow Submarine .

The Beatles didn`t really think of it as a proper Beatle album and only recorded "New " songs once they had seen the dailies of Submarine and saw how good it was .

All songs that didn`t appear on The Beatle albums can be found on two brilliant albums

Past Masters Vol 1 and Vol 2.

Past Masters Vol 2 is the best Comp album ever made I.M.O.

Hope that helps . ;)

Edited by By Tor

I agree that every Beatles album is a masterpiece, but historical value aside, and I'm also not questioning artistic merit, but Sgt. Pepper doesn't interest me as much as Revolver or Rubber Soul. Although no Beatles album is truly overlooked, I do feel these two albums are a fraction overshadowed by the somewhat overrated (for a Beatles album) Sgt. Pepper.

However, I think The Beatles, as with Rush, are one of those bands where every album eventually becomes a favourit in some way, shape, or form. I used to find the white album boring. Now it plays like a mix cd of all my favourite tunes!

As for Magical Mystery Tour, the expanded full length version of the seventies that is now accepted as an original album is, for me, a more consistently enjoyable psychedelic experience than Sgt. Pepper. I adore everything about it!

Oh no, it is not overrated in itself AT ALL. A masterpiece is a masterpiece. But I don't think its glory outshines the rest of the bands catalogue like some diamond in the rough, and for my money, Revolver, Abbey Road and The White Album are more fulfilling albums. This is personal opinion, however, as I will not dispute the groundbreaking nature of Sgt. Pepper and its recording.

As I said, no Beatles album is truly underrated (although With The Beatles comes close), and no Beatles album is overrated, full stop. But if I had to pick one album that I think gets a tiny bit to much praise, it would be Sgt. Pepper. And, blasphemous I know, but I still prefer the earlier released Beach Boys album Pet Sounds (itself an inspiration for SP) and Love's ridiculously underrated Forever Changes.

But if anyone disagrees with my view, I accept it fully, as to my ears my favourite Beatles album tends to be whichever one I am playing at present!

• Like 1

I was learning guitar when Rubber Soul came out. Played that album to death, for obvious reasons. I remember playing this song ( acoustic part over and over and over....).

• Like 1

Oh no, it is not overrated in itself AT ALL. A masterpiece is a masterpiece. But I don't think its glory outshines the rest of the bands catalogue like some diamond in the rough, and for my money, Revolver, Abbey Road and The White Album are more fulfilling albums. This is personal opinion, however, as I will not dispute the groundbreaking nature of Sgt. Pepper and its recording.

As I said, no Beatles album is truly underrated (although With The Beatles comes close), and no Beatles album is overrated, full stop. But if I had to pick one album that I think gets a tiny bit to much praise, it would be Sgt. Pepper. And, blasphemous I know, but I still prefer the earlier released Beach Boys album Pet Sounds (itself an inspiration for SP) and Love's ridiculously underrated Forever Changes.

But if anyone disagrees with my view, I accept it fully, as to my ears my favourite Beatles album tends to be whichever one I am playing at present!

The thing is with The Beatles they changed with each album and thats the beauty of them .

Sgt. Pepper two me is the perfect album out of them all .

Which is just my opinion , as to most people it`s Revolver , Abbey Rd . etc .

The most debated debate in history of Pop Music I guess .

Talkin of overated albums !

I can`t get my head around Pet Sounds being up their with the greatest albums .

Apart from to songs I think the rest of it is short boring songs .

I should know I have it .

Sorry .

Again with Love .

I don`t like that either .

Edited by By Tor

Sgt. Pepper is one of my least favourite (of my favourites) Beatles albums.

For me, the 5-star albums are (all equals in my book):

A Hard Days Night

Help!

Rubber Soul

Revolver

The White Album

Abbey Road.

The four star albums:

Magical Mystery Tour

Sgt. Pepper

With The Beatles

Three Star-

All the rest.

Edited by Segue Myles

Glad I'm not the only one with a love/hate relationship with Sgt. Pepper!

I understand how exciting all these new sounds must have been in 1967, but decades later, I don't think its aged as well as other albums of theirs. Revolver comes to mind as one perfect jewel, and lately the White Album has proven to be worth extra special attention!

But Sgt. Pepper...a few tracks I feel amount to nothing more than beautifully produced filler, although it does contain five killer songs (six if you count the title tracks reprise as something separate), so all in all, a great album, not the Greatest.

And Abbey Road is perfection, although my only gripe is the second side is all killer, but I wish ever track could have been complete. Still, 9.5/10!

Glad I'm not the only one with a love/hate relationship with Sgt. Pepper!

I understand how exciting all these new sounds must have been in 1967, but decades later, I don't think its aged as well as other albums of theirs. Revolver comes to mind as one perfect jewel, and lately the White Album has proven to be worth extra special attention!

But Sgt. Pepper...a few tracks I feel amount to nothing more than beautifully produced filler, although it does contain five killer songs (six if you count the title tracks reprise as something separate), so all in all, a great album, not the Greatest. 7/10

And Abbey Road is perfection, although my only gripe is the second side is all killer, but I wish ever track could have been complete. Still, 9.5/10!

"A Day in the Life". It's on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. End of argument.

One great song doesn't make an album great.

Fortunately, Sgt. Pepper has at least five, so it is more than welcome for praise, but despite the quality of its peaks, it doesn't satisfy me as much as other Beatles albums! Plus, I think song for song, Revolver is superior. Only songs in the running to top Revolver on Sgt. Pepper are She's Leaving Home and the masterful A Day In The Life.

Revolver is a masterpiece! I will never change my mind, or back down from my defence of it. I think it is quite possibly the greatest album of all time. Bar none.

Revolver is AWESOME!!!! Tomorrow never knows at the time blew my ten year old mind.

A day in the Life is my fav Beatles tune but it in no way gives Pepper a free pass. IMO, pepper has complete filler like Within You Without You, Good Morning, Lovely Rita, and When i'm 84.

Revolver is a better Album and listening experience as a whole.

Mick

Revolver is AWESOME!!!! Tomorrow never knows at the time blew my ten year old mind.

A day in the Life is my fav Beatles tune but it in no way gives Pepper a free pass. IMO, pepper has complete filler like Within You Without You, Good Morning, Lovely Rita, and When i'm 84.

Revolver is a better Album and listening experience as a whole.

Mick

Even Yellow Submarine has amazing vocal harmonies...Revolver, The White Album and Rubber Soul are all masterworks that i cannot fault, not even a little bit! On RS, I even love What Goes On, and that song seems to be most people's least favourite.

And those were the exact songs that come to my mind that constitute filler! Although I do think they are overall quite strong songs to be regarded as filler...

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Equal favourite double album alongside Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. Maybe second...

Not being pretentious, but Revolution 9 is a fascinating track, and I enjoy it! The second disc is brilliant as well.
  • Like 1

Just to put it out there the White Album is my fav album of ALL time. Only double album to me that i can't skip anything. Man i love that record.

Mick

You can't skip Revolution 9?

Nope...all part of the experience.......the weirdo in me loves it.

Mick