Guess what I read

Nate2112

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Dec 31 2010, 12:30 PM)
I can bet he wouldn't be crying foul if Journey was intact and selling out venues.

I saw them in a sold out arena 2 years ago, 14,000 people. Neal is not bitter at all . If they ever got S. Perry back they would do 3 nights in a row, something Rush can't sniff anymore

QUOTE (druid13 @ Dec 31 2010, 01:15 PM)
Go to just before 8:00 mark here...listen to the chord progression....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I2gmT3rarY

Go to 1:03 here...listen going forward...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7V-4O5qAto

Go to 3:46 here...( I did see the Sawyer similarity actually after all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsVCcytLsBA

No big whoop but very similar ...VERY similar things happeneing in all three really.

And no need to diss Neal from Journey as I said they are not so great anymore but the guy is a legendary guitarist....played with Santana at 17 for Pete's sake.

notworthy.gif applaudit.gif

I gotta give it up for you. I didn't hear an exact match in melody before, just an overall "similar vibe," but you convinced me with those examples. Those three clips are almost identical! Good work.

Now the question is: did Rush cop the melody on purpose or is it coincidental? Without a direct answer from Geddy and Alex, we'll never know; it's all guesswork.

And I agree on Neal Schon. Great guitarist.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 31 2010, 01:20 PM)
I can bet he wouldn't be crying foul if Journey was intact and selling out venues.

I saw them in a sold out arena 2 years ago, 14,000 people. Neal is not bitter at all . If they ever got S. Perry back they would do 3 nights in a row, something Rush can't sniff anymore

Then why is he "nickel and diming" about something that MIGHT have transpired 30 years ago?

as said though Steve Perry seems like a real jack arse....tried to tell Steve Smith he had bad time...which is obnoxiously ridiculously stupid.

Perry's ego went out of wack a long time again over his solo career. And I know he is a drummer but I doubt he can come close to playing the stuff Smith does.

Deen Castronova has been singing some and playing drums with them lately I believe. Another great player.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 31 2010, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Dec 31 2010, 01:15 PM)
Go to just before 8:00 mark here...listen to the chord progression....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I2gmT3rarY

Go to 1:03 here...listen going forward...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7V-4O5qAto

Go to 3:46 here...( I did see the Sawyer similarity actually after all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsVCcytLsBA

No big whoop but very similar ...VERY similar things happeneing in all three really.

And no need to diss Neal from Journey as I said they are not so great anymore but the guy is a legendary guitarist....played with Santana at 17 for Pete's sake.

notworthy.gif applaudit.gif

I gotta give it up for you. I didn't hear an exact match in melody before, just an overall "similar vibe," but you convinced me with those examples. Those three clips are almost identical! Good work.

Now the question is: did Rush cop the melody on purpose or is it coincidental? Without a direct answer from Geddy and Alex, we'll never know; it's all guesswork.

And I agree on Neal Schon. Great guitarist.

It's not the melody. It's the chord progression and/or the riff. The more I listen to these examples the more I'm convinced there was nothing intentional. I bet you can scour the Journey discography and find similarities to songs they did not compose. Again, riffs and chord progressions seem to be fair game. No big deal. It's popular music.

The Coldplay/Joe Satriani thing is much more blatant. Coldplay "borrowed" the entire guitar melody for their vocal melody, not a riff or a chord progression.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Dec 31 2010, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 31 2010, 01:20 PM)

Then why is he "nickel and diming" about something that MIGHT have transpired 30 years ago?

Maybe too much cool10.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 31 2010, 01:42 PM)
It's not the melody. It's the chord progression and/or the riff. The more I listen to these examples the more I'm convinced there was nothing intentional. I bet you can scour the Journey discography and find similarities to songs they did not compose. Again, riffs and chord progressions seem to be fair game. No big deal. It's popular music.

Yes, the chord progression is the same, not any "melody." My bad.

The Coldplay/Joe Satriani thing is much more blatant.  Coldplay "borrowed" the entire guitar melody for their vocal melody, not a riff or a chord progression.

Most blatant rip-off I ever heard was how Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" sounds like the Jayhawks' "Waiting for the Sun."

Listen to the opening of both:

Jayhawks

The Jayhawks were there first. Petty is the thief.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 31 2010, 01:48 PM)
Just wondering, does anyone know how many bars of music one can use until it's considered illegal?

I don't think it comes down to "how many bars." I think they take these musical copyright infringements on a case-by-case basis, and musical copyright infringement has become hard to prove.

I can take a Bach piece written in 1734, change four notes, and ASCAP will let me have a copyright on the "new" piece.

If anyone really wants to get picky about Nickel and Dime, I was checking it out more in my car - and at 0.12 there is a clear line played from My Favorite Things. You could practically sing the first line of the song note for note to it. Perhaps Schon would like to explain that. wink.gif

Yeah, you know My Favorite Things too - shut up. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 31 2010, 09:10 PM)
If anyone really wants to get picky about Nickel and Dime, I was checking it out more in my car - and at 0.12 there is a clear line played from My Favorite Things. You could practically sing the first line of the song note for note to it. Perhaps Schon would like to explain that. wink.gif

Yeah, you know My Favorite Things too - shut up. laugh.gif

laugh.gif you're right ... who would have thought? Journey with a Julie Andrews vibe

Archived