Very Expensive

StuartBruce

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 24 2010, 05:10 AM)

Actually Jean, yes they do almost 3 hours of music. I was at the show in St.louis in August and stage time was about 2 hr 45 minutes. 26 songs... not including videos. last time I check, Maiden were playing about 16 songs including encores. yes, it's shorter by about 2 songs over the last 3-4 tours.

You continue to compare them to Maiden... who have played the UK every year now for, what, The last 10 years.. whether it's a stadium tour or not. you can see Maiden every year if you want... in the UK, it might take a road trip or train journey... but they have played somewhere in the UK every year none the less... no so with Rush...

Rush doesn't keep gear all over the world.. they put together a new setup for each new tour. Why keep an old set of amps and drums in a country if you are going to use a new better set up for the next tour. of course, plenty of musicians do keep gear both sides of the pond... I was one.. keeping a UK set and a US set... but it doesn't always make sense. Many times bands will just call up the distributor and ask for a set up on each continent.... again, when you have such a custom set up, it's not that easy.

of course, there's good enough equipment in the UK, but the production crew spend about 3-4 weeks tuning the lighting and sound rig to get it to where it's ready to tour prior to going on the road. That's what tour preproduction is all about. The sound guys get to know how the amps and speakers perform in various conditions. The crew certainly doesn't want to show up at the first gig on the European leg with newly hired equipment not knowing how it will perform.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Nov 24 2010, 03:27 AM)
QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 24 2010, 05:10 AM)

Actually Jean, yes they do almost 3 hours of music.  I was at the show in St.louis in August and stage time was about 2 hr 45 minutes.  26 songs...  not including videos. last time I check, Maiden were playing about 16 songs including encores.  yes, it's shorter by about 2 songs over the last 3-4 tours.

You continue to compare them to Maiden... who have played the UK every year now for, what, The last 10 years.. whether it's a stadium tour or not.  you can see Maiden every year if you want... in the UK, it might take a road trip or train journey... but they have played somewhere in the UK every year none the less...  no so with Rush...

Rush doesn't keep gear all over the world.. they put together a new setup for each new tour.  Why keep an old set of amps and drums in a country if you are going to use a new better set up for the next tour.  of course, plenty of musicians do keep gear both sides of the pond... I was one.. keeping a UK set and a US set... but it doesn't always make sense.  Many times bands will just call up the distributor and ask for a set up on each continent.... again, when you have such a custom set up, it's not that easy.

of course, there's good enough equipment in the UK, but the production crew spend about 3-4 weeks tuning the lighting and sound rig to get it to where it's ready to tour prior to going on the road.  That's what tour preproduction is all about.  The sound guys get to know how the amps and speakers perform in various conditions.  The crew certainly doesn't want to show up at the first gig on the European leg with newly hired equipment not knowing how it will perform.

goodpost.gif

No Not Good Posting

Frequency of touring should have no bearing on ticket prices, Rush now tour here every 3/4 years which is frequent for them. I don't care if Maiden do tour yearly, if they and Rod Smallwallet can tour on ticket prices substantially less than Rush why can't Rush? Iron Maiden are a HUGE band in the UK, Rush are a NICHE act in the UK. Smaller Acts = Smaller Ticket Prices.

Damn you Ru$h and Ray Danniel$, Damn You to Hell and Back.

For me personally I am down from SIx tickets last tour (plus one for significant other, and one for child) to one, maybe two this time around. Go Figure.

AC/DC toured for the first time in 7/8 years not long ago.

That break in time and new stage set (their most expensive ever) didnt result in a huge price rise, neither did the fact they're not based in the UK.

Go figure. Mind you thats a band who also refuse to issue a 'Greatest Hits' compilation either as they see it as a bit naff.

And thats probably the biggest RNR band on the planet.

QUOTE (necr0mancer @ Nov 24 2010, 05:14 AM)
Kiss toured and brought a huge show and tickets were less than 40 quid

Necromancer,,, i agree.... and kiss had a bigger show... i notice that iron maiden tickets are only 42 pounds... these prices are outrageous..

mind u i dont care,,, i'm just gonny go on the night,,, wait till the show starts and buy from from a tout for a tenner... after all... there will be loads of touts since tha band allowed people to buy 20 tickets... how stupid is that

and with the money i save... trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (AJ71 @ Nov 24 2010, 05:28 AM)
At these prices, and with touts/scalpers buying up lots in free for all presales, you can GUARANTEE that come day of show you'll pick up some bargains outside the gig or on ebay

So not all bad.

In my opinion i would get rid of all pre sales and online booking.. i would love it to go back to the old way.. if you want a ticket you go to one of the booking offices and queue up for a ticket..

loads of people who dont have credit cards miss out all the time.. i dont see why anyone should get priority for tickets...

QUOTE (Roger Goldsmith @ Nov 24 2010, 05:39 AM)
At these prices, and with touts/scalpers buying up lots in free for all presales, you can GUARANTEE that come day of show you'll pick up some bargains outside the gig or on ebay

So not all bad.

In my opinion i would get rid of all pre sales and online booking.. i would love it to go back to the old way.. if you want a ticket you go to one of the booking offices and queue up for a ticket..

loads of people who dont have credit cards miss out all the time.. i dont see why anyone should get priority for tickets...

Amen.

So not all bad.

Have to agree in the old days the real fans - who the presales are allegedly aimed at - had to queue at the venue to get tickets. Now the touts just get all their people to phone up and buy blocks of twenty. Is this standard - I would have thought it would have been limited to 2 - 4 tickets to let everyone get a fair go at getting tickets.

QUOTE (necr0mancer @ Nov 24 2010, 06:05 AM)

So not all bad.

Have to agree in the old days the real fans - who the presales are allegedly aimed at - had to queue at the venue to get tickets. Now the touts just get all their people to phone up and buy blocks of twenty. Is this standard - I would have thought it would have been limited to 2 - 4 tickets to let everyone get a fair go at getting tickets.

No mate its a con,, band know that the touts will buy the tickets,,, and as soon as they are bought,,,, bingo,,, in the bands bank accounts,,, then it doesnt matter if the halls half empty cause ticket sales will show thats its sold out...

its real fans who lose out twice... once cause the tickets are overpriced due to greed,,, and two,,, cause all the touts have the best seats and only the richest fans can afford to buy from the touts..

unless ,, like me,,, wait until the show starts and get them from a tout for next to nothing,,, what do you miss,,,, intro video - no big deal,,,, and maybe one or two songs,,, out of 26,,, again no big deal

QUOTE (Roger Goldsmith @ Nov 24 2010, 06:13 AM)
QUOTE (necr0mancer @ Nov 24 2010, 06:05 AM)

So not all bad.

No mate its a con,, band know that the touts will buy the tickets,,, and as soon as they are bought,,,, bingo,,, in the bands bank accounts,,, then it doesnt matter if the halls half empty cause ticket sales will show thats its sold out...

its real fans who lose out twice... once cause the tickets are overpriced due to greed,,, and two,,, cause all the touts have the best seats and only the richest fans can afford to buy from the touts..

unless ,, like me,,, wait until the show starts and get them from a tout for next to nothing,,, what do you miss,,,, intro video - no big deal,,,, and maybe one or two songs,,, out of 26,,, again no big deal

A sensible man!

If only I could have found one...

You can preach about 'don't like it don't go' 'they can charge what they like, others will go' but that's not only nieve but it's hardly the point anyone is making. The bottom line is that ticket sales have increased massively since the last tour, apparently simply because they can.

Also, just because you like a bands music doesn't mean you have to blindly defend everything they do in a personal or business sense, looking beyond the obvious reasons for it.

But at the end of the day it's a catch 22; they can charge inflated prices, we can moan about it, but we'll still go, the concerts will sell reasonably well and they'll see no reason to change it next time. The only way you could drive down ticket prices is by voting with your feet, but we all know the majority will just fork out, myself included.

beathorse.gif

yes... the tickets are expensive. Yes, they are more expensive than before... yes.. my bottle of Bushmills at the store just went up in price... do I still want the bottle.. yes... I pay more because I want it. Do I care if Maiden is cheaper... No... there are plenty of other acts charging more for their tickets than Rush... do I care.. No.

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Nov 24 2010, 10:38 AM)
yes... the tickets are expensive. Yes, they are more expensive than before... yes.. my bottle of Bushmills at the store just went up in price... do I still want the bottle.. yes... I pay more because I want it. Do I care if Maiden is cheaper... No... there are plenty of other acts charging more for their tickets than Rush... do I care.. No.

Well spoken. Sounds like you will pay the price and you will not count the cost.

QUOTE (Jean Simmons @ Nov 24 2010, 04:52 AM)
Damn you Ru$h and Ray Danniel$, Damn You to Hell and Back.

For me personally I am down from SIx tickets last tour (plus one for significant other, and one for child) to one, maybe two this time around. Go Figure.

Wow... confused13.gif

If you feel that strongly about it, you shouldn't even buy one ticket. no.gif

Seriously, you shouldn't support Rush if you feel it's such a ripoff.

Edited by PariahDog