National Novel Writing Month

CMWriter

I've mentioned it a couple times, I think, but I'm doing NaNoWriMo (the abbreviation for the above) this year, and going for the big fifty thousand words! Yup, that means early mornings, late nights, lots of coffee, and carpal tunnel by Thanksgiving and dead fingers by December first.

For those of you unfamiliar with NaNo, it's a challenge to write 50,000 words in one month. You can't start beforehand and you have to have reached your goal by December 1! There's no prize, no contest, just you and your willpower. It's aimed at all of us "well I have this great idea but I could never write a novel" people.

Somehow I've managed to wrap Rush into my novel. It's heavily inspired by "2112" in terms of how the government is set up, how society is, and that sort of thing. Of course Neil Peart's never going to set eyes on this (not right now anyways, lol.. it's a very rough draft) but if I could thank him a million times for being my biggest inspiration (him and Alex and Geddy of course!!) it still wouldn't be enough.

So, WriMos, how's your novel coming?

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 9 2010, 09:58 PM)
I've mentioned it a couple times, I think, but I'm doing NaNoWriMo (the abbreviation for the above) this year, and going for the big fifty thousand words! Yup, that means early mornings, late nights, lots of coffee, and carpal tunnel by Thanksgiving and dead fingers by December first.

For those of you unfamiliar with NaNo, it's a challenge to write 50,000 words in one month. You can't start beforehand and you have to have reached your goal by December 1! There's no prize, no contest, just you and your willpower. It's aimed at all of us "well I have this great idea but I could never write a novel" people.

Somehow I've managed to wrap Rush into my novel. It's heavily inspired by "2112" in terms of how the government is set up, how society is, and that sort of thing. Of course Neil Peart's never going to set eyes on this (not right now anyways, lol.. it's a very rough draft) but if I could thank him a million times for being my biggest inspiration (him and Alex and Geddy of course!!) it still wouldn't be enough.

So, WriMos, how's your novel coming?

my novel has been in my head poking around for years...hmmm...start now?

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Nov 9 2010, 09:04 PM)
my novel has been in my head poking around for years...hmmm...start now?

Why not! (: I wouldn't recommend trying to reach 50K starting ten days into NaNo but as they say, no time like the present. Besides, once you get started and keep chugging along, the rest of the story just flows out.

The whole thing about NaNo is you have to be extremely self-motivated. Otherwise your project will just fall apart.. and that's no fun.

On day one I got through about 250 words and I went "oh forget it, I don't have time for this", saved the file and shut down StoryMill. Maybe next year. I'm in the middle of a major site launch, a major product launch and another project that's coming to fruition in about three weeks. My wife and kids get the 10 hours a week I'm not working right now biggrin.gif

I'm writing a fantasy novel, and I have 1,116 words down so far. I'm actually writing it for my senior project, and the deadline is in early May 2011. I'm shooting for 150-200 pages, so that's 75-100k words! scared.gif

Good luck with the 50k! How will you find time to do it? Assuming you have other work on your hands.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Nov 10 2010, 12:59 AM)
Good luck with the 50k! How will you find time to do it? Assuming you have other work on your hands.

Thanks, thanks. And I'm still a high school student, so I don't really have family obligations or work obligations (i.e. I don't have time for a job and no one wants to hire part-time). So, weekends and when I finish homework, I write. I also go up to the library during my lunch hour to type and there's a computer in the counselor's office where I aide, so I type there too. tongue.gif

It's all just a matter of making sacrifices and writing literally whenever you can. Like I said, late nights and early mornings, but it's all worth it.

God, I wish I could!

I'm not much of a writer. I have written before, but only short stuff. I could never write a novel! ohmy.gif Wish I could...

I tried. I got something like 2500 words down and went "Oh, f**k it!" And I've written tons of stuff before! ARGH. comp26.gif

TEN DAYS UNTIL KICKOFF!!

cheer.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cheer.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cheer.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/Writergirl2112/nanowrimo.jpg

cheer.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cheer.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif cheer.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I figured I may as well reuse this thread, since it's still largely empty.

So! Anyone taking it on this year, aside from yours truly of course? I have no idea what I'm going to write about. Looks like this year is going to be a lot of seat-of-the-pants writing unless I can whip up an outline in the next week-and-a-half.

Edited by CMWriter

Wow, fifty thousand words in a month?! I'm an aspiring writer who hopes to write novels, but that's something that I could not easily do (as of now, at least). For me, writing is a gradual process. I can't just whip up quality work in a short amount of time. Most of what I write takes much longer than a month. ohmy.gif

But I have to admire the tenacity of the people who participate in NaNoWriMo, including yourself. Good luck. tongue.gif

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Oct 20 2011, 07:09 PM)
Wow, fifty thousand words in a month?! I'm an aspiring writer who hopes to write novels, but that's something that I could not easily do (as of now, at least). For me, writing is a gradual process. I can't just whip up quality work in a short amount of time. Most of what I write takes much longer than a month. ohmy.gif

But I have to admire the tenacity of the people who participate in NaNoWriMo, including yourself. Good luck. tongue.gif

You see, this is the one writing project where you're really not going for "quality", per se. The whole point of NaNo is to simply get your ideas down, and then in December through November of the next year, work on what you came up with.

You'd be surprised how many random dream scenes I wrote just to fill up space. wacko.gif

Still, if someone's really picky, an outline does help you write more than just... well, junk. Keeps you organized and on track.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 2 2011, 11:41 PM)
Ok, so how far are we guys? Started on the 31st because I couldn't wait any longer.

Cheater! tongue.gif

Nah, I kid. kind of

I'm 4,755 through now (need to update my word count!) and quite happy with it so far. Well, moreso happy that I'm still at it. xD

What's your current word count? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 3 2011, 04:33 AM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Nov 2 2011, 11:41 PM)
Ok, so how far are we guys? Started on the 31st because I couldn't wait any longer.

Cheater! tongue.gif

Nah, I kid. kind of

I'm 4,755 through now (need to update my word count!) and quite happy with it so far. Well, moreso happy that I'm still at it. xD

What's your current word count? biggrin.gif

About 500 or so. I've been distracted by a busload of extra school work since I got behind a few weeks. But I do plan on increasing to 2,000 this weekend.

I'M BEHIND I'M BEHIND I'M BEHIND.

Only at 11,734. I have to be at 13,336 by midnight tonight if I want to get back on track. Ugh so far away. D:

And for some reason I've only been able to successfully get words out if I'm at Panera. Unfortunately there is no hot water left in the hot water container-thing so my tea cup is empty. :C

I feel like I've spent forever at this hospital. I think I'm going to end up speeding through and getting to the meat of the plot soon. Or maybe I'll just drag it out because I'm scared to write the fun part and make it sound stupid AAAHGJDKAL;GJAL;.

Ugh, this time restriction is just way too much. I don't even have enough time to shape the plot and characters. I'll be lucky if I finish by the end of the December.

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Nov 12 2011, 02:57 AM)
At 8,233 words. This is getting easier as I go. tongue.gif

Good, good! Keep on chuggin' away!

Remember, "Not the goal, but the game; not the victory, but the action."

Works for football, works for NaNoWriMo. wink.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 12 2011, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Nov 12 2011, 02:57 AM)
At 8,233 words. This is getting easier as I go. tongue.gif

Good, good! Keep on chuggin' away!

Remember, "Not the goal, but the game; not the victory, but the action."

Works for football, works for NaNoWriMo. wink.gif

wat